My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's coming along nicely reg

It's not about following the trend .... It's about making it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
      Are you putting your faith in the washers underneath to hold the frame ? Or are you going to add spreader plates after the trial and error fitting stage ?
      I am putting my faith in the washers - as recommended by the rail suppliers to give M1 and M2 rating. It's not just a four/six washers on a normal RNR, its 95 bolts at 100mm centres.

The seats only bolt to the mounts with 6x10mm bolts in total.

I may put spreader plates it the rails section where the seat locates normally.

Comment

• Before owning my van (and reading about rnr beds etc on here) I never really considered the forces envolved in a crash regarding seats. I suppose it's quite a lot.
        Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
          Before owning my van (and reading about rnr beds etc on here) I never really considered the forces envolved in a crash regarding seats. I suppose it's quite a lot.
          I am the same as you. Then thought sod it and bought a non crash tested rusty lee bed. I weighed up cost use and the fact that the front seats of the van are only bolted to the seat bases with 4 m5 bolts.....

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
            I am the same as you. Then thought sod it and bought a non crash tested rusty lee bed. I weighed up cost use and the fact that the front seats of the van are only bolted to the seat bases with 4 m5 bolts.....
            Yeh but they are 12.9 engineering bolts!

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Yeh but they are 12.9 engineering bolts!
              I know. So my bed is bolted down with 6 m12 12.9 bolts.

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
                M5 ?

You sure? Too small, regardless of tensile strength.

At least your seatbelts aren't anchored to the seats

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                  M5 ?

You sure? Too small, regardless of tensile strength.

At least your seatbelts aren't anchored to the seats
                  Maybe m6 . Also look at the caravelle rear tripple seat. Just 4 mushroom bolts with small spreader plates in the top hat chanels hold them down. I guess what i am trying to get across is your rails are attached a lot better than what vw deem as safe.

Comment

• Took a trip to Cullompton today for a gearbox, bellhousing didn't match and there was not clearance around the diff housing either - so no go.

Got on with the seat base this evening, welding the base to the Rangie seat frames

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_205917[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	268477

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191011_210023[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	268478

Getting there slowly.

Looks all twisted because there are only three supports in (and a bit of old broom handle), there will be ten supports eventually and everything triangulated.
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 11 October 2019, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• [emoji106]

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Got on with the seat base this evening, welding the base to the Rangie seat frames

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13919[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13920[/ATTACH]

Getting there slowly.

Looks all twisted because there are only three supports in (and a bit of old broom handle), there will be ten supports eventually and everything triangulated.
                        I'm sorry Reg but that angle iron frame work doesn't look up to the Cheeseman aesthetics control. Looks a little flimsy.

Comment

• It will be stronger with the triangle bracings.
                          Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                            It will be stronger with the triangle bracings.
                            I'm positive Reg has the design and strength covered but it just looks odd, I suppose I expected box section or tube (heavier) but looks better finished.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                              I'm positive Reg has the design and strength covered but it just looks odd, I suppose I expected box section or tube (heavier) but looks better finished.
                              I'm confident the strength will be there, with less weight than box.

As for looking better, that's half the reason for using angle - you'll see.....

Comment

I'm confident the strength will be there, with less weight than box.

As for looking better, that's half the reason for using angle - you'll see.....
                                I knew there was a design and reasoning behind the material! It's great work mate - inspiring as ever. [emoji106]

Comment

Working...
                                X