My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
    I can see two Corsa’s In the background Reg , you must have a soft spot for them
    Blue one is mine, awesome cars.

no....awful, thats the one, always confuse those two words.

These turned up today

Click image for larger version

Name:	unwin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	268356

6 x Unwin seat mounts - second hand and still 150 delivered, better than the 250+ they would have cost new.

Hope the internet is right and they fit Koller rails....

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Blue one is mine, awesome cars.

no....awful, thats the one, always confuse those two words.

The drive to work is depressing enough without having to get there in a Corsa , your a gluten for punishment , I’d take the van and rock out with your cock out .

Comment

These turned up today
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]13775[/ATTACH]

6 x Unwin seat mounts - second hand and still 150 delivered, better than the 250+ they would have cost new.

Hope the internet is right and they fit Koller rails....
        They look good.
        Are they a single centre lock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          They look good.
          Are they a single centre lock?
          They are, suitably rated for seats and nice and easy to adjust..... at least until the floor rails get full of westward ho! beach.

Comment

They are, suitably rated for seats and nice and easy to adjust..... at least until the floor rails get full of westward ho! beach.
            You can buy rubber rail / ali covers to seal the open parts, that would reduce that? Are the unused holes pre-tapped to take a frame / fixing?

Your new interior plan got me thinking about those rear bench seats.... theyre so cheap yet some with a quality sofa like finish and comfort , some with adjustment and electrics. So you could replace the fronts for a bench - possibly on rails to add the ability to move & make it flat using the inbuilt folding then fit a second in the rear again on rails to create a level bed surface utilising the full length of the van. Cable gear selection would mean you can move it forward too....

Comment

You can buy rubber rail / ali covers to seal the open parts, that would reduce that? Are the unused holes pre-tapped to take a frame / fixing?

Your new interior plan got me thinking about those rear bench seats.... theyre so cheap yet some with a quality sofa like finish and comfort , some with adjustment and electrics. So you could replace the fronts for a bench - possibly on rails to add the ability to move & make it flat using the inbuilt folding then fit a second in the rear again on rails to create a level bed surface utilising the full length of the van. Cable gear selection would mean you can move it forward too....
              I'll get the covers/inserts - they'll keep some of the grot out, but sand gets everywhere.

A bench in the front prohibits walkthrough - I like that ability.

Comment

• Unwin fittings fit Koller rails

2 x 12ft Koller rails turned up today and were promptly chopped into 4x 6ft Koller rails.

Not happy with the prospect of drilling 80 x 8mm holes in my floor to fit them - seems a bit excessive!

Googled to find out what thickness ply to use as 9mm + 3mm flooring seemed sensible with 12mm allowed by the rail's shape and for the first time ever google sent me back to this forum rather than the other site

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.ph...ile-seat-rails

Now I'm confused, people laying them on horizontal rails to stop wobble, using spreader plates (not very good ones at that) when I thought an 8mm bolt and washer every 150mm would be plenty?

So do I use less bolts and spreaders or just go with the full compliment of bolts in the rail???? hmmm more reading required.
                Last edited by regcheeseman; 24 September 2019, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Unwin fittings fit Koller rails

2 x 12ft Koller rails turned up today and were promptly chopped into 4x 6ft Koller rails.

Not happy with the prospect of drilling 80 x 8mm holes in my floor to fit them - seems a bit excessive!

Googled to find out what thickness ply to use as 9mm + 3mm flooring seemed sensible with 12mm allowed by the rail's shape and for the first time ever google sent me back to this forum rather than the other site

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.ph...ile-seat-rails

Now I'm confused, people laying them on horizontal rails to stop wobble, using spreader plates (not very good ones at that) when I thought an 8mm bolt and washer every 150mm would be plenty?

So do I use less bolts and spreaders or just go with the full compliment of bolts in the rail???? hmmm more reading required.
                  The OEM Multivan flooring on the blue van is split into two equal sections front and rear. With the rubber floor covering overlapping under the bed section so there's no visible join.

The depth of each section is made of two pieces of ply bonded at 90° to the other. The lower ply running left to right in wide 6" ish strips with an equal gap between the rails and fixings. Then the slotted top section sits on top with the floor covering.

I've looked for a flooring pic but can't find one but I'm sure my rails used the seating tracks in the ridged floor. I had flat plate welded into the floor with tapped holes that the short single seat rails bolts into but I recall the rail having machined outer fittings on the rail rather than bolting through the rail itself.

Even lining the floor and insulating it allowed for an air gap, I assume to allow the wood to breath. I didn't need to fix the flooring down either as the shaping construction held it all in place with the step, seat, bed, D-Ring and tailgate fittings.

Comment

• Seats are stripped down ready to weld on new bases

Name:	IMG_20190926_201318.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	268364

I've designed the bases, worked out what steel I need to buy.

Plan is to make the bases for both seats as one unit and then cut it into two - this means I can use the seat base as a jig to align the rails on the floor before I fix them down.

First job is to trim off the excess brackets.

Comment

• Is that your thumb? [emoji106]

Comment

• A leaf probably, it's that time of year when the garage inexplicably fills with leaves.

Comment

• Will the seat run on all 4 rails or 3 based on the seating construction - just thought being able to remove the single or double seperately could be handy?

How do the seat bases and backs fix into the frame? Cracking idea and I'm sure matching execution in fitting it to follow.

Comment

Will the seat run on all 4 rails or 3 based on the seating construction - just thought being able to remove the single or double separately could be handy?

How do the seat bases and backs fix into the frame? Cracking idea and I'm sure matching execution in fitting it to follow.
                            Four rails - two per seat unit, will move and remove independently. I don't think that feature will be as useful as it first sounds, but lifting out a seat unit at a time will be more manageable than trying to shift both at once. Shame the single seat is not the one nearest the sliding door, it would be easy to lift out the single seat and gain enough space to load long items (kayaks/building sheet material/motorbikes). Still, it shouldn't be too much hassle to move it out from the van if required and leave two seats in situ.

The backs are assembled on sub frames which bolt to the base and incorporate a sprung hinge mechanism to allow them to fold

The seat bases are hinge at the front of the framework and simply unbolt.

My dilemma at the moment is spacing the rails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	268367

- option A is probably the soundest solution, but the irregular spacing of the rails may drive me mental.
                            - option B appeases my OCD but possibly doesn't support the seat effectively as possible - although seat C will rarely be used. So this option give better support to the Seat B which will normally be occupied.

Could do option B with an additional rail down the centreline - that's another £100 though...think I've just resolved my dilemma through the power of MSPaint and sharing with the group.

Comment

• Option b with a centre rail should work fine reg and will satisfy the eye too

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

My dilemma at the moment is spacing the rails

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13789[/ATTACH]

- option A is probably the soundest solution, but the irregular spacing of the rails may drive me mental.
                                - option B appeases my OCD but possibly doesn't support the seat effectively as possible - although seat C will rarely be used. So this option give better support to the Seat B which will normally be occupied.

Could do option B with an additional rail down the centreline - that's another £100 though...think I've just resolved my dilemma through the power of MSPaint and sharing with the group.
                                Option B would be better imo.
                                If the width of the double rails matched the single (plus another buckle) you could move the single to the nearside.

If the double could share the rh single rail or have its own additional (add-on) to give three floor fixings.

Plus if the rails were spacec this way you could also spin them all 180° to face the rear and use the belts?
                                Last edited by Activ8; 27 September 2019, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X