The San Fran Van

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    You are not allowed to repair cars professionally with CO2 - its a weak weld

I have a 9 litre bottle (i think) - deposit is 90 - 100 and refundable, refils are about £30-40
    I looked in machine mart site. Theyr 16 quid odds for a 110 litre disposable bottle? Co2/argon mix.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Just read through the thread. You'll get there mate, looks like you're going about it the right way. Something to be proud of when you're finished [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
        I looked in machine mart site. Theyr 16 quid odds for a 110 litre disposable bottle? Co2/argon mix.

Thats the volume of the gas inside the bottle, not the bottle size.

Disposables do not last long at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by bpm677 View Post
          Just read through the thread. You'll get there mate, looks like you're going about it the right way. Something to be proud of when you're finished [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Just T4s
          Thanks mate. I'm desperate to get working on it but since I bought the welder I've never had a minute. Plan was to start today but a homer came up instead. Maybe tomorrow [emoji1696]

Comment

Thats the volume of the gas inside the bottle, not the bottle size.

Disposables do not last long at all.
            Thanks for clearing that up Reg. I'll get a refill asap

Comment

• Went to machine mart yesterday and got a couple of gas bottles to get me going until I can afford a refillable. By time I got back I couldn't be bothered so left it until today.

Went up to kevs farm for back of 11, got the welder out and set up. Has a few practice runs and all seems decent enough. I can see the metal pooling better and I'm getting it to run/flow better. Still a good few snotters tho. Onto the van..

Started where I basically left off, I buffed the metal back up then welded the replacement piece in.

And wire brushed.

I thought that was pretty decent for a first real attempt. It still has a few holes but overall I'm chuffed.

Then I buffed the weld back. I just used a grinding disc for this cos tbh I forgot all about the flap disc. I'll remember in future!

This brings my next question to the clued up members, how far do you buff the weld back?? Are you ment to buff all the weld back or leave like 1mm or so? I went for flush???

Then a second run to get the holes and bits I'd missed.

Then buffed back again. Still forgot the flap disc.

That's it from the back of the weld. No too many mushrooms.

And then primered up. In that bilt hamber stuff. After I'd sprayed I'd realised I'd missed the bottom left edge. I'll catch that next time.

That's how much I'm buffing the weld back??

Next onto the arch that I messed up with the gasless lidl welder. Just cut that right out

New piece made and in place. First run with welder. This is much messier than the weld I've just done. Made a couple of holes that I filled

And buffed back. Not impressed. Remembered the flap disc this time though.

And second attempt at welding then buffing back. Still no happy with it. I gave kev a shot of welding but he put more holes than me so I took it back haha. I'll go over it again but I'm in 2 minds to just cut it out and make another repair piece up.

The temperature never got above 4 all day so by 4pm I'd had enough. Home now munching sausage casserole that Michelle made for me getting in. Cant wait for a bath and some heat!!

Comment

• When you say buffed do you mean grown back with a sanding disc or a Euro disc/flap wheel? If its where it would show grind back with a sanding disc flush. If its where it don't show I tend to leave. Its how ever you fell happiest with it mate. If you progress like that I will have to get my ass into gear and post you your vents mate. Keep at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  When you say buffed do you mean grown back with a sanding disc or a Euro disc/flap wheel? If its where it would show grind back with a sanding disc flush. If its where it don't show I tend to leave. Its how ever you fell happiest with it mate. If you progress like that I will have to get my ass into gear and post you your vents mate. Keep at it.
                  Yes. To start with I just Used a grinding disc, then I used a combination of both grinding disc then flap wheel 120 grit after that. Ok I'll maybe not bother grinding the tub repair piece back then cos that will be covered in the future. Still no hurry for the vents mate. I think I got a bit ahead of myself

Comment

• Got the afternoon off work so decided to get a bit done on the van. Went to fit the inner arch panel but noticed more rust around the sliding door pillar where the rear arch meets it. I get doing all this work around this area will be a bit of a waste of time after looking on the underside the whole lot needs replacing. I'll have to fabricate something when I'm doing the sliding door sill. That's next after the rear panel. But for now its easier on the eye.

Bit I cut out

Cardboard template and transferred to metal.

Welded in and dressed back. Gave it a wee blast with primer after photo.

Got the inner arch lined up and clamped into position. Hopefully get that and the back panel welded in at the weekend.

Comment

• Coming along mate!

Shropshireeeeeee

Comment

• Thanks man. On the hunt for metal for it now

Comment

• I buy mine from local motor factors, you should be able to get 1/3, 1/2 and full sheets in two gauges.

Comment

I buy mine from local motor factors, you should be able to get 1/3, 1/2 and full sheets in two gauges.
                            Thanks reg, will I get box section there aswell?

Comment

• This what I want to replace

Comment

• I measured it today, I'm sure it was 95mm x 30mm. It seems like "u" section. What diameter will it be? 2mm?, 3mm

Comment

Working...
                                X