1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tango91 View Post
    You know, I never considered looking that up.

The more you know... [emoji293]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
    I did wonder if you knew, they are dead close to me. Always loved the colour scheme in these vans, is is decal or paint?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

It looks like the red and blue are painted on quite thickly, then the ripple effect looks to be airbrushed and then lacquered

Sent from underneath my T4

Comment

It looks like the red and blue are painted on quite thickly, then the ripple effect looks to be airbrushed and then lacquered

That is what I thought..
        Love it!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
          Love it!!
          Sadly it's going to be mostly 'electrox grey' in a minute...

We got stuck in after work today and pulled the radiator, battery and front crossmember and associated gubbins out.

I have to say I'm feeling a LOT more optimistic about the rust situation on the front end now that i can A) see what we're dealing with, and B) get access to it.

I've ordered a new front crossmember and some outriggers. Anyone got any idea what gauge steel I need to be ordering to make infills? I keep forgetting to measure it while i'm there...

My phone camera is especially shit today but in person this looks a lot less daunting than it did fron underneath. The battery tray is fine but the bumper bracket is barely just holding on by the tiniest sliver of metal:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_200008299.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	267724

The offside looks way better than the nearside. That outrigger underneath is done for though.

Name:	IMG_20190712_200014485.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	267725

Sally got stuck in with the degreaser cleaning the oily shite off. Surprisingly the paint on the frame rails was lovely under all the crap!

Name:	IMG_20190712_195937532~2.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	267726

The replacement 'members were a little painful on the wallet but hopefully worth the ballache with fresh new metal.

Hopefully, with the exception of getting a new windscreen fitted, that's the last of the major expenses.

While I have such easy access to the engine I've ordered new diesel, oil and air filters and some 10W40 semi.

As an aside, what's up with the air filtration system on the early T4 diesels?

You finish off with this nice big manifold and pipe, which is fine.

Name:	IMG_20190712_175001186.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	267727

Before that you have several 90 degree bends through some smaller piping and the huge air filter, then some more 90 degree bends to get to the manifold

Name:	IMG_20190712_175013467.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	267729

and all of that sucks on this poxy little slot behind the indicator?

Name:	IMG_20190712_175021177.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	267728

Surely there must be a less restrictive way to feed air to the poor engine?

Comment

What's the consensus on painting these replacement parts?
            The cross member paint looks ok but the outriggers say they need repainting.

Strip the black paint off, electrox and then paint??

Comment

What's the consensus on painting these replacement parts?
              The cross member paint looks ok but the outriggers say they need repainting.

Strip the black paint off, electrox and then paint??

Stripping paint off seems a little mad to me, but another coat or three of something like S49's red oxide or Hammerwrong (teasing Reg) would be sensible in theory.

From the book of T4 Prayer, Chapter 2 verse [emoji121], RC said unto us (earlier this year in thread "New Toy"), ..."Always go that extra mile & better your last effort".....

Comment

This shipping paint on the smaller bits is cack though, I don't want to be painting on top of shite.

I'll leave the paint on the crossmember and just put something on top of it or I'll be wire brushing until August!

Comment

I'm glad you're going ahead with it, and properly too. I've seen too many old VW's "restored" with mostly glass-fibre, chicken wire and P38.

Comment

Turns out that this paint is so bad that despite not burning your skin or giving you cancer any more, even nitro-mors can take it off... Quite a bit faster than wire brushing

Comment

I used the front panel to line up the outrigger and chassis leg on the ones I did. Doing the inner wing I also had the wing on to ensure it all went in the right place. See our "Blindfaith A Winter Project" thread.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        I used the front panel to line up the outrigger and chassis leg on the ones I did.
                        Good advice, thanks, I made sure to offer up the new front crossmember to the rotted out outriggers, marked it up on the bolt holes a bit and took some photos.

Name:	IMG_20190717_190241171.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	267751

Finished stripping the shipping paint off the outriggers, then gave them a wash and a dry before a couple of coats of Sally's favourite hairspray:

Name:	IMG_20190717_175729970.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	267752

Then got busy with the spot weld drill and got the first big rotten bit of metal off. The damn thing fought me the whole way, how on earth do they even get spot welds right up at the back on the inside??

Name:	IMG_20190717_195616361.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	267753

Feels nice to be cutting out and replacing rotten bits rather than just discovering them! First step on the road to recovery for the poor thing...

Comment

Nice to see you doing it the right way.

Comment

Good work!

Will that paint just wipe off with thinners?

Comment

Looking good so far

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                Good work!

Will that paint just wipe off with thinners?
                                It wipes off well with methyl ethyl ketone but that flashes off too fast and leaves the paint smeared about everywhere. In the end some nitromors and a scouring pad did the trick.

Comment

Working...
                                X