No announcement yet.

1995 2.4D... In at the deep end!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some top quality work by the previous owner there, the bubble wrap wheel arch made me laugh, packing tape!! beggers belief

Comment

Originally posted by Big al View Post
      Some top quality work by the previous owner there, the bubble wrap wheel arch made me laugh, packing tape!! beggers belief
      Yeah they could've at least used gaffa tape.. That foil bubble wrap stuff won't do any good whatsoever there anyway. It won't dampen vibration or insulate against sound and the only heat it insulates against is radiant heat and you don't get much direct sun inside your average wheel arch. Even then it needs an air gap to work and in most vans it's just glued straight on the outer skin.. To be honest the only thing I'd ever use it for in a van is as a sun screen on the windows when it's parked up. I need a cuppa.

Ooh I would like that cab mat if I could please?

Comment

PM me with your address fella
        Sent from underneath my T4

Comment

You ever get that sinking feeling?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190710_194845365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	267703

Name:	IMG_20190710_194853619.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	267704

Name:	IMG_20190710_194859965.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	267705

Name:	IMG_20190710_194906482.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	267706

Name:	IMG_20190710_194912828.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	267707

Name:	IMG_20190710_194926350.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	267708

Name:	IMG_20190710_194951416.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	267709

Name:	IMG_20190710_200120763.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	267710

...Piss.

Comment

Your not alone , we all get that sinking feeling and start asking ourselves ‘ What have I bought ‘ Just take it in your stride , one step at a time

Comment

I'd love to get my teeth into that van......think its becoming addictive.

Comment

Come get stuck in lol. Any advice gratefully recieved, I'm feeling a little bit down on her today...

I know I can pick up replacement big bits, the outriggers and the crossmember etc for not too much cash. So those I'm not too worried about.

What would your suggestions be about replacing the inner arches and all of the sheet metal inbetween?

The only other problem is that it has to stay mobile as she's currently living in a tractor shed at work and needs to be moved every day so I can work on her.

Overall, despite the amount of rust I found in there, working on these things is so damn straightforwards. Two bolts and the bumper's off, three bolts and the door's off. etc. etc.

Every cloud and all that...

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  I wouldn't, I've had my fill of that shyte.

An early pre-galv T4 full of rot - who'd have thought it.

Cut your loses, break it - you'll get back more than you paid and put it into something less terminal.

Comment

Thanks for the honest answer

I don't know quite what to do, heart vs head etc. etc.

What year did they start galvanising them?

Comment

Originally posted by Tango91 View Post

I thought it was 95 with the facelift to the rounded bumpers and single piece rear bumpers.

I'd weigh up how much rot is there very carefully and compare that to what the bits might be worth broken, I don't know what the market is like for the 2.4 engine.

of course, if your time is free and you enjoy welding then repair it - tricky call.

I've welded up worse, would I again? Maybe...... but not for a T4

edit: it's an early one - rear bumper gives it away.
                      Last edited by regcheeseman; 11 July 2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the wise words Sally and I'll have to sit down and really think about it.

I'm definitely attached to the old heap, and It's not really practical for me to break it as I think the boss would take a dim view of me running a parts yard out of the staff compound... It's already got this van, a working motorbike, a project motorbike, a janky-ass modified golf cart and several of my trailers lying about lol

To understand our motivations, please take some time to carefully consider this diagram:

Name:	the plan.jpg
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	267711

(it's 1:20am sorry)

Comment

Has Sally got a sister?....asking for a friend.
                          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

I believe it to be 1996 , they still rust even though they’ve been galvanised.

Comment

Thank you for the wise words Sally and I'll have to sit down and really think about it.

I'm definitely attached to the old heap, and It's not really practical for me to break it as I think the boss would take a dim view of me running a parts yard out of the staff compound... It's already got this van, a working motorbike, a project motorbike, a janky-ass modified golf cart and several of my trailers lying about lol

To understand our motivations, please take some time to carefully consider this diagram:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13008[/ATTACH]

(it's 1:20am sorry)

Love the pic mate it’s totally up to you wether the van is salvageable, it’s your time , skill and money that’s going to go into it , anything can be saved with in reason , but the ultimate answer to the question lies with you .

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Tom - focus on Si's attitude and get a grip!

Balance your thinking here as both are right but from different approaches....

You could of paid 2-3k for the same van and discovered it's hidden treasures - many do. You however have options, don't blindly throw them away.

You need a costed plan in time & £'s!
                                Dreams come later...... hi Sally! [emoji6]
                                First off - rather than this bitting and bobbing, get round the van and go over it with a fine magnet and while you poke around get Sally to sketch and list the areas of work, then cost it in time & £'s.

Now sit down together, stare into each others eyes and get real....with the facts.
                                If you already have unfinished projects it's possibly an indicator of things to come?

If it was me I'd want it on the road for next Spring but one thing is certain you'll get all the forums support and advice you need regardless of the decision made.

Comment

Working...
                                X