Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450Nm = 332 lb ft

I've read a few different ways of measuring. Some a straight figure, others (as above) a figure plus so many degrees.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Weren't trying to be picky about torque wrench's over buzz guns but have come across so many knackered cranks due to under tightened crank bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Weren't trying to be picky about torque wrench's over buzz guns but have come across so many knackered cranks due to under tightened crank bolts.
        No worries - not taken that way either... 'tis a very valid point. Big difference between a full battery and one at 80% - or one that's gone through 100s of cycles already. No experience of an air gun but the compressor thing makes sense.

After the horror reading I've done today, I'll be marking the bolt up and checking it's not moved on a regular basis.

Comment

It's positive that it's just being questioned Si. I buzzed mine up then use the wrench + 'x'° to check it.

Comment

Trouble is what they state they can achieve and what they actually can are very often 2 different things.
            Yep - This

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
            Buzz gun is rated to 500Nm (more for unfastening) dewalt dcf899 - it's a beast!! Not got a torque wrench that goes that high to check it!
            Which is why the torque setting is often quoted at something like 180 (ftlbs/nm??) + 180 degrees, so people can use a normal torque wrench and then add the required degrees..

It's not just getting the torque, I used a length of scaff pole and a lot of force - the issue was holding the crank and not pulling the engine out of the chassis.

Originally posted by 7or8 View Post
            Cambelt was changed less than 1k ago so have left it. Just swapped the ancillary pulleys over.
            Never retension a belt or reuse stretch bolts.

Like you said, keep an eye on the pulley like you said else you might be writing a 'my van struggles to start/white smoke/strange clanging noise' type thread in a few months

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
              Which is why the torque setting is often quoted at something like 180 (ftlbs/nm??) + 180 degrees, so people can use a normal torque wrench and then add the required degrees..
              Makes sense.

Comment

It's not just getting the torque, I used a length of scaff pole and a lot of force - the issue was holding the crank and not pulling the engine out of the chassis.
                Good point now it's back in the bay. Reckon I can use a jack and a few strategically placed pieces of timber to stop the engine trying to rotate as I torque it down.

I also have a tactical scaff pole... useful piece of kit for stubborn stuff, although my recently purchased buzz gun has made it pretty much redundant nowadays.

Comment

Never retension a belt or reuse stretch bolts.
                  Cambelt hadn't lost tension as I've just replaced the ancillary pulleys. Worth refreshing the alternator/PS belt as well?

Ordering a new stretch bolt and washer today, so will see what I can do for torquing more accurately when I replace. Hopefully, my friendly garage will have something they'll lend me for an hour in exchange for donuts.

Not in a huge rush as I reckon I'm still a week away from firing it up... plenty to figure out yet in terms of wiring and pipework.

Comment

Does anyone know the part number for the AAB crank bolt? It's the 65mm one (longer in the AJA)

Ta

Comment

Or have the reg of a van running the original AAB engine, so I can give TPS the reg instead!

Comment

Here you go bud.
                        AJA hexagon bolt M18X1,5X110 1 N 904 980 02
                        AAB hexagon bolt M18X1,50X65 1 N 010 143 2

One or more availbale via Amazon , 1 piece in Prime £5.51
                        N0101432
                        Last edited by Activ8; 5 April 2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Here you go bud.
                          AJA hexagon bolt M18X1,5X110 1 N 904 980 02
                          AAB hexagon bolt M18X1,50X65 1 N 010 143 2

One or more availbale via Amazon , 1 piece in Prime £5.51
                          N0101432
                          Superstar

Comment

Back on it today.... attached the power steering pump and hooked up the rear pipework. Bit stuck on the alternator belt though it's miles too short - not entirely sure how either.

I've used all the pulleys, brackets and ancilliaries off my AJA and bolted them onto to AAB block. All the holes are in the same place and mount in the same way.

Even if I undo the tensioner completely (so it hits the water pump pulley) it still doesn't have enough length to get round. Can order a longer one, it's just baffled me why it's so far off. Reckon I need it to be about 40mm longer.

Comment

That's how far the alternator is from lining up and everything else in place.

Tensioner doesn't seem to do anything either - more like just a fixed pulley... am I missing something?

Comment

Did you draw a map of how it was, its so easy to go over or under the wrong pulley. Been there many times I always draw a map now.

Comment

Working...
                                X