No announcement yet.

How it Started How it's Going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fifet4;n335408 Were the arches under your A pillars ok? Mine were rotted right out. Just T4s[/URL

Not surprising really, given the lousy scuttle tray drainage via the inner front wings and the location of the drain holes found there?

Comment

Some good advice regarding the Shock reinforcing plate. Tbh I was going to seam weld the plate until I stumbled across this video, its in German but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjpIJTGy_o

Comment

We have a resident German on this site, he may be able to help with a translation.
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Had a break in the weather so I decided to take a proper look at the Rear O/S Inner sill. The cutting out looks pretty drastic but I'll show why
          Attached Files

Comment

From the little history I know about the Van, a previous owner paid £££'s for welding. Its just plates on top of rust and the prep looks awful, Underseal slapped over large sections of Rust and I'm sure I pulled out a bead of bathroom silicone.
            Attached Files

Comment

Not much to report as the weather has been absolute shoite.

Made a tool to press out the rear swing arm bushes. But I couldn’t press new ones back in again and wrecked 1 bush in the process.

The VW tool is a cone shaped tube that compresses the ears on the bush as it’s pushed in. As you might imagine this tool is not available so after a bit of measuring and looking on EBay. It looks like I’ve cracked it

Last edited by paul3944; 18 February 2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Had a couple of days off work and with it not pissing down, I decided to get back on the van. This is my first attempt at proper welding and tbh I’m struggling for consistency.

I get a sweet spot with heat/wire speed lay down some good welds then its starts spitting or barely moving at one point I had the wire speed up to 8.

It’s a Clarke 135 that I got second hand so I’ve order new liners which hopefully will improve my welding.

Anyway plug welded the outer arch, done some repairs to the wheel tub and started on the rear sill

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Looks like your making good progress Paul. I've got a 135te I think. 8 wire speed sounds way to high. I'm usually between 5 an 6 and at that I feel I lay too proud a weld. I've found having a good earth is a big factor in splatteryness.

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

The bit outlined in red looks like excess wire speed. I always mess about with the settings on some left overs the same gauge as the work to get that crackle that tells you your somewhere near. Then there's hand speed and so it goes on. Been flying MIGs for forty years and I'm never happy with the results.

Comment

The user manual for that MIG is still available to download.

Join the MIG forum, for tips and tricks or general advice.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

Many thanks for the advice. Had another look at it today. I grinded off the more suspect welds and went over them again.

I managed to get a good continuous run which looked good however after shining my lamp there was the odd pin holes in the weld.

One thing I have noticed after battling to set the wire tension is there seems to a flat spot on the feed wheel. It pulls the wire tperfectly then momentarily spins. So I’ve order a new roller as well as the liners.

Just downloaded the manual. About 5-6 is the recommended speed for 1mm sheet

Judging by the amount of rust on the van. I can only get better at welding.

Last edited by paul3944; 18 March 2022, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Had another good couple of days on the van. I’ve put a new liner n the welder and replaced the feed wheel. I’m slowly getting better at it but much room for improvement.

The rear quarter is now starting too take shape and I’ve dry fitted the outer panel. Either the replacement inner arch is out or I’ve fitted it a bit skew either way I had to lengthen it on the left a bit.

Also fitted a replacement bumper corner panel that I got from steel wizard. I also had to make another plate that sits above this.

My two concerns now are what to do with the circular hole in the inner arch where it meets the outer panel and in the outer panel I’ve got about a 3mm gap just above the arch. Everywhere else I’ve got a good 1mm gap.

Comment

Almost finished the rear quarter. Put some fresh Epoxy in and went a bit trigger happy with the tiger seal. Put some Sikaflex 552 (Panel Adhesive) between the panels and then welded the panels in. Just waiting on some Dinitrol underseal to finish it off.

Comment

Well the rear drivers is complete so I’ve started on the front drivers side and needless to say it’s just as disgusting as the rear. I’ll let the pictures do the talking. Started cutting out the rusty sections and the long process of fettling new metal to fit....

Comment

Do love a bit of welding on a T4 unlike a Rupaul you can at least get back to good metal.
                                Last edited by S49; 13 May 2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X