2.5 Engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5 Engine rebuild

A lot of the block has already been cleaned up and repainted. It was stripped down, big ends and oil pump inspected, new crank seals fitted both ends and a new water pump fitted.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210607_103228.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	699.7 KB
ID:	326107

Before I bolted up the head I needed to find TDC and mark it u, so I bolted some angle iron down across no1 cylinder and fitted a pointer made from welding rod to the flywheel end of the crank.

Name:	IMG_20210607_103243.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	326108

I then brought the engine up to TDC, which it stopped short of as the piton hit the angle iron. I made a mark where my pointer was.
    I removed the angle iron, guided the piston past TDC, refitted the angle and brought the piston back up until it stopped again and made another mark. I now have two marks that are an equal distance from TDC. Measure the gap put a mark in the middle and that is TDC.
    For double measure I put another temporary pointer and mark at the other end using crank pulley (not yet torqued up)

Name:	IMG_20210607_113935.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	326109

Time for the head to go on

Name:	IMG_20210607_103302.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	326110

Its missing a few bits

Name:	IMG_20210607_103315.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	745.1 KB
ID:	326111

Aha, there they are – cheers Activ.

Name:	IMG_20210607_103945.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	776.9 KB
ID:	326112

New Lithuanian lifters – decent ones though. INA

Name:	IMG_20210607_110123.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	674.0 KB
ID:	326113

Elring gaskets throughout, new bolts an a MLS 2 hole head gasket going on as I measured the piston protrusion with the DTI.

Name:	IMG_20210607_112306.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	815.1 KB
ID:	326114

Head fitted, cam caps at 20Nm, head bolts tightened in four stages 40Nm, 60Nm, 90 degrees and 90 degrees

Name:	IMG_20210607_113843.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	326115

Glow plugs and injectors fitted, the lines were scabby so got cleaned up, before and after in this shot

Name:	IMG_20210608_133543.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	326116

All fitted and pump locked up at .55

Name:	IMG_20210608_134117.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	750.5 KB
ID:	326117

That's it for today, had to go to work...

Did you have the head skimmed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Did you have the head skimmed ?
      Nope, it wasn't leaking. No point skimming a head, if it needs skimming, bin it and buy another.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Nope, it wasn't leaking. No point skimming a head, if it needs skimming, bin it and buy another.
        If you bin any , I’ll have them please .

Comment

Yeehah Cowboy.

Comment

I'm of the opinion thats its best only to skim as a last resort. There are loads that if out of tolerance the recommendation is the scrap pile. Foxhole Vectra 16 valve for one.

Comment

If the cam runs in the head, because the head is warped it'll potentially ruin/snap the cam or just warp again after a few heat cycles

Comment

Yep fella i know in the trade had a head machined by a well known and respected engine builder in Hereford, ran fine for a few minutes then the cams seized up and that was that. The Volvo 340 1.4 (Reno push rod motor) couldnt be machined, loads tried but never got the head gasket to hold after.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Yep fella i know in the trade had a head machined by a well known and respected engine builder in Hereford, ran fine for a few minutes then the cams seized up and that was that. The Volvo 340 1.4 (Reno push rod motor) couldnt be machined, loads tried but never got the head gasket to hold after.
                  Wouldn’t the cam typically be in the block in a pushrod? Also, if it’s pushrod and therefor assumed to be older, wouldn’t it be all cast iron? Or am I just hung up on thinking they’re all like an A-Series?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

What's an A series? The mercedes?

Anyway...I fitted the manifolds up today, was going to post up a picture but CBA as it is too boring. Just image the previous picture but with manifolds fitted.
                    Loads of fun was had cleaning the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Wouldn’t the cam typically be in the block in a pushrod? Also, if it’s pushrod and therefor assumed to be older, wouldn’t it be all cast iron? Or am I just hung up on thinking they’re all like an A-Series?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                      Yep cam in the block but the heads were alloy, wet liners they did a cross flow head on the Alpine like are dad has.A series? Use more oil than fuel after 20000 miles and dont start me on the god awful BMC K series ok in a hillclimb car with regular strip downs but in a road car its a kettle waiting to boil, Fucking ole rubbish.

Comment

I was going to leave the cam cover grotty but decided to degrease it, scrub it with scotch pad and dust it with some rattle can.
                        Glad I made the effort.
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                          I was going to leave the cam cover grotty but decided to degrease it, scrub it with scotch pad and dust it with some rattle can.
                          Glad I made the effort.
                          Its that attitude of taking it "just one step further" that I love about you Reg. Adding value all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            Adding value all the time.
                            As I'm building the motor to sell thats the idea...

However I think it's prone to the law of diminishing returns as I put more work in

I reckon there's about 15 hours in the rebuild, probably £400 in parts. Is it worth £400 more now than it was worth as a dirty motor with a bust cam.....mmm probably; worth an extra £400 plus 15 hours of my time....no probably not - unless I'm well under minimum wage, best have a word with the boss.

Comment

Reg.

I’ve just found this post. It’s spot on. I’m planning the same kind of rebuild with an engine I got from Tommy. I’ve never done anything like it before, so this thread is really helpful. I learn by doing and seeing things in the flesh. I can read a Haynes manual but it never really makes any sense. I’m just stripping the engine at the moment and now starting to understand what stuff is. Eg. Hydraulic lifters, valve stem seals, a ‘lobe’ on a camshaft.... and I saw an oil pick up pipe for the first time about 2 weeks ago.. oooohhhhh....It was soooo exciting. Yep, I know it’s pathetic, and I do mock myself, but I’m like a pig in poo. Having the time of my life, just slowly wrecking a perfectly good engine. I’m sure Tommy is just be rolling his eyes right now.

Thanks again for the pics and for taking the time to post this up.

frenchy.

Comment

Working...
                              X