No announcement yet.

Not T4 - Ducati 996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My youngest and I did the cambelts last weekend, Me and the boy spent a good afternoon fitting the belts, I had a VW head stripped on the bench so I could explain the valve gear and cams and how it all works.
    All went back together apart from when I was just about to try and start it and I spotted the spark plugs still on the bench. Doh! Had to lift the tank again to fit top plug.

Fitted the plugs and hit the starter, not firing, little blast of easy start and it came to life - ish. Misfiring, popping banging something terrible.
    When I started it on the old belts with three cams out it fired up straight away and run fine if a bit subdued. Now the combustion is much better as testified by the noise from the termis. But it's misfiring terrible. I'm wondering if it could be one of the following...

New spark plugs, fairly standard champions supplied in the service kit, the ones taken out were fancy iridiums
    Quick shifter not connected to battery, maybe that would cause the misfire?

Oh and even with another rectifier, it still wasn't charging, i couldn't measure the output direct from the coils, but testing both rectifiers with a multimeter and they test ok, and the charging coils are all about 4R each with no shorts to earth so should be fine...

Armed with a bit of info from the Ducati forum I dropped the fuel pump assembly out of the tank, and found this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210228_135617.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	321233

That is the high pressure feed to the injector rail. All those years sat in fuel have not helped, I think it was fine when I got the bike but it decided it had had enough the same time that I changed the belts, talk about bad timing, made me wonder if the cam timing was out for a reason?

I bought some proper in-tank pipe and replumbed it all with a fresh filter.

Well, what a transformation!

Battery on and fired straight up, idling at a shade over 2000rpm, check the fast idle button...nope. Check the idle stop and the throttle linkage is clear and not hitting the stop, but the adjuster is wound out on the throttle cable at the twistgrip, wind it back in and the idle drops to a sensible setting. My guess is that one of the previous owners messed up the cam timing, then adjusted the idle to cover the problem slightly, or at least get it to idle.

I think the previous, previous owner then mothballed it for a bit and then flogged it, next owner bought it, probably rode it a bit, decided it was a bit rubbish so just brought it into the house to look at. I think prospective buyers had been going to view it and knew it wasn't right and ran away. The seller had dropped 3K from his originally selling price.

Now, It's idling smooth, picking up cleanly and eagerly (unlike when it first arrived when it was lazy and horrible) and all the proper Ducati noises are present and correct.

Sounds absolutely spot on. A low mileage bike picked up cheap because it obviously had running problems and buyers were walking away. Simple enough fix...happy with that!

Now I need to look at charging side, the cheap used reg/rectifier picked up as 'definitely working' from eBay - definitely isn't working, I have 26v ac coming from the coils, and about 0.8V dc out of the rectifier unit. Bought another one, brand new £30. Chinese shit.

Had a bit of a game with people selling used rectifiers on eBay, most people say if it works in the advert, some don't, so I asked "Does this work" - some of the replies were fine, some a bit odd, one bloke got all arsey, "Mate, I haven't got time to test it, I don't do refunds, you either want it or you don't, if you are that worried don't buy it"

Comment

Oh electrical problems on a older Ducati never.

I had a 916 back in the day and one day it would run perfect, the next day put the key in and nothing not even a ignition light.

Do absolutely nothing and return the day after and the thing would start and run perfectly.

Many returns to the dealer and could never find a problem ..
      Last edited by The-Fozzer; 6 March 2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Nice job reg!

whats your technique for cleaning contacts using flux?

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
          Nice job reg!

whats your technique for cleaning contacts using flux?
          I use a tub of wickes plumbing flux. Cover the contacts in flux, warm gently with a hot air gun, scrub with scotch pad, reapply flux and repeat until clean. Sometimes if they are really bad I just leave them coated in flux for 24hrs then clean it off again.

Comment

Ready for MOT on Tuesday

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210410_150028_sml.jpg Views:	0 Size:	456.6 KB ID:	323147

Even rode it for the first time, only up and down the drive but it is lovely smooth and tractable, the time I spent balancing the throttle bodies has really paid off. Needs a little clutch slip at low speed, but so smooth and tractable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210410_150045_sml.jpg Views:	0 Size:	624.0 KB ID:	323148
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 10 April 2021, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I don’t like bikes at all but there’s something really cool about that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                I don’t like bikes at all but there’s something really cool about that thing.

Could it be the faded red plastics that appeal to you ?

Comment

Are they faded?
                  I thought that was the camera doing that.
                  1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
                    Are they faded?
                    Dunno , if it is the camera ..... apologies Reginald

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
                      Are they faded?
                      No not faded, camera has made them look pink, don't think it is used to sunlight, been a while.

Comment

Two new MOTs today!

The Ducati's ended like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210413_143856_sml.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	323322

And the KLX like thisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210413_170533_sml.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	323323

Its been 10 years since this was on the road, carb was gummed solid, front brake seized. A legal tyre fitted in place of the front knobbly, tyres pumped up, chain tensioned, oil and coolant changed.

Gotta say the KLX is way more fun to ride, 70mph top speed (gets there very quick), lofty (comfortable) riding position, light, agile, narrow - It's brilliant in traffic. The fifteen year old rear MX tyre is not exactly grippy on tarmac though, had a few slides

Comment

Is that the clutch assembly of the Ducati? What did the MOT bring up that means that had to come apart?

#vanlife

Comment

Is that the clutch assembly of the Ducati? What did the MOT bring up that means that had to come apart?

Yep, clutch.

Nothing in the MOT, but about 5 miles into the journey to the MOT it was evident the clutch was slipping, VERY BADLY. struggled to pull away and wouldn't take any revs. I was worried I wouldn't make it home again. But on the return journey it was fine until some heat got into the clutch when it gave up.
                            The beauty of a dry clutch (and Ducati design), took about 10 minutes to strip the clutch completely.
                            Also a legacy of the Ducatis legendary reliability, the sidestand fell off when I flicked it up to drive home, with nowhere to stash the part, I had to tuck the sidestand into the side of my boot and drive home like that!

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Yep, clutch.

Nothing in the MOT, but about 5 miles into the journey to the MOT it was evident the clutch was slipping, VERY BADLY. struggled to pull away and wouldn't take any revs. I was worried I wouldn't make it home again. But on the return journey it was fine until some heat got into the clutch when it gave up.
                              The beauty of a dry clutch (and Ducati design), took about 10 minutes to strip the clutch completely.
                              Also a legacy of the Ducatis legendary reliability, the sidestand fell off when I flicked it up to drive home, with nowhere to stash the part, I had to tuck the sidestand into the side of my boot and drive home like that!
                              But I gather it passed though?

#vanlife

Comment

But I gather it passed though?
                                Yep, two MOTs and for free as the tester had a harley loom that he wanted repairing. Result.

Comment

Working...
                                X