Not T4 - Ducati 996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not T4 - Ducati 996

As a nice break for me from shitty old vans, thought I'd stick up a build thread of the Ducati

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210204_093613.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	320712

A 2000 model, the last with the old style 916 three spokes, only 6000 miles from new and has been stored for years in a house.

I tentatively fired it up, wary of the aged cambelts I took it easy, bit disappointing to be honest, didn't have the bark I remember these Ducatis having and (a little more expected) a host of electrics didn't work, mostly trivial but most seriously it wasn't charging - not uncommon.

It wouldn't hold an idle so I blipped the throttle very gently to let it warm.

Put it off for a bit but tonight I pulled the belt covers off, first impression belts are a bit slack and as dry and creaky as expected, but when I brought the top cylinder cams up to the mark, I noticed this on the horizontal cylinder's exhaust cam pulley.

Name:	IMG_20210222_203120sml.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	320713

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a tooth out? Might explain the poor running?

But, then I checked the crank pulley....

Name:	IMG_20210222_203027.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	320714

Again a tooth out, putting the crank pulley on the mark makes the previous pulley timed up right, but unfortunately the other three are out. No wonder it was stored and not ridden for years, must have run like crap.

I also had a look at the electrics as I gained clearance to the cam covers, I used to be a design engineer for AMP connectors so I appreciate the Econoseal connectors used throughout the loom but I wish Ducati had used one on the ignition switch connector

Name:	IMG_20210222_203446.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	320715

God knows how this worked but it was one of the things that did!

So the owner never really touched it to prepare it for storage. Happy to send you my 996SPS book pack pn#913.7.044.1N 10/1999. Had a quick look online and found this for €15.

Ducati 996 Repair Manual (English) €15
    https://www.ma-revue-technique.com/f...on-ducati.html

I've got a lot of bike info, here's a folder for 996.
    DUCATI Info
    Last edited by Activ8; 24 February 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

None of the pictures working for me
      1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Originally posted by DubDick View Post
        None of the pictures working for me
        Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Anyone else?
          Pictures clear on all my devices. No errs.

Comment

working on mine too now... strange...
            1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Unfortunately, I can see the pictures.

Not a bike man myself but it’ll be interesting to see something different tbf.

Was actually considering a mk4 golf thread but never acted as they’re fat and boring despite loving mine. Niche market.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                Was actually considering a mk4 golf thread but never acted as they’re fat and boring despite loving mine. Niche market.
                Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                I agree TP the memes and funnies would be worth a new thread.
                Might be worth running it by Dan 1st as it may be more applicable to the Sewer!
                (You know I'm joking right? )

Comment

Love my golf also

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

I had a mk4 golf gttdi , worst car I’ve ever owned , 6mnths later back in a Ford

Comment

Pics are working for me

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                        As a nice break for me from shitty old vans, thought I'd stick up a build thread of the Ducati

Name:	IMG_20210204_093613.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	714.0 KB
ID:	320712

A 2000 model, the last with the old style 916 three spokes, only 6000 miles from new and has been stored for years in a house.

I tentatively fired it up, wary of the aged cambelts I took it easy, bit disappointing to be honest, didn't have the bark I remember these Ducatis having and (a little more expected) a host of electrics didn't work, mostly trivial but most seriously it wasn't charging - not uncommon.

It wouldn't hold an idle so I blipped the throttle very gently to let it warm.

Put it off for a bit but tonight I pulled the belt covers off, first impression belts are a bit slack and as dry and creaky as expected, but when I brought the top cylinder cams up to the mark, I noticed this on the horizontal cylinder's exhaust cam pulley.

Name:	IMG_20210222_203120sml.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	320713

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a tooth out? Might explain the poor running?

But, then I checked the crank pulley....

Name:	IMG_20210222_203027.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	320714

Again a tooth out, putting the crank pulley on the mark makes the previous pulley timed up right, but unfortunately the other three are out. No wonder it was stored and not ridden for years, must have run like crap.

I also had a look at the electrics as I gained clearance to the cam covers, I used to be a design engineer for AMP connectors so I appreciate the Econoseal connectors used throughout the loom but I wish Ducati had used one on the ignition switch connector

Name:	IMG_20210222_203446.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	320715

God knows how this worked but it was one of the things that did!
                        Beautiful looking bike that, nice one Reg. I honestly can’t get my head round the fact that 916 is 21 years old now... be worth a few bob once you got that running like it should eh? Looks absolutely immaculate.

Comment

Meant *996*

Comment

Far from immaculate, obviously the lack of mileage is good, but there are a few non standard bits like the top fairing and seat unit.
                            genuine bits are ridiculously expensive.

That connector was stripped, contacts cleaned in flux and then reassembled

Name:	IMG_20210225_195034.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	677.5 KB
ID:	320796
                            Last edited by regcheeseman; 25 February 2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Nice project - I’ll be watching! Got a Savage frame kit and suzuki bandit sat in the shed to put together but I do like the late 80s early 90s bikes. Should have kept the gsxr1100

Comment

Working...
                              X