No announcement yet.

Eric The Red’s voyage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The equivalent 400Ah lead acid type leisure batteries would last longer but would weigh far much more as the have a deeper discharge %.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post

I thought so.

For everyone else your 110amp standard leisure battery will last you 48 hours at best with a compressor fridge. Realistically less.

Solar power is the greatest thing ever. It means my super scrimping £120 battery along with £300 solar setup can provide continuous power to the fridge whilst it’s full of food and being opened 30+ times a day in any weather (for beer mainly). Also I run everything off the leisure including all interior lights Inc the cab and the stereo, water pump and diesel heater in the winter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      When I used to run lead acid they only lasted me a couple of years as I abused them lol. That's why I ended up working overtime for several months to afford the Lithium's. I was going to buy one but there was an amazing offer and I'm a sucker for a bargain. That's how I ended up with 2 x 120ah. I'm glad I did to be fair. I also run everything off them and they take the abuse I throw at them. I agree about the solar option. I think I will add a permanent panel at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        The equivalent 400Ah lead acid type leisure batteries would last longer but would weigh far much more as the have a deeper discharge %.
        Exactly. The bonus with these is they are so light and take up very little room as you can see from previous photo's. But its being able to run them down further that I love. Takes the worry of killing them away.

Comment

Originally posted by windydubber View Post

Exactly. The bonus with these is they are so light and take up very little room as you can see from previous photo's. But its being able to run them down further that I love. Takes the worry of killing them away.
          The trouble with lithium cells is they really need to be managed. For battery longevity an 80% max charge rate is recommended irrelevant if its an 18650 cell or Tesla Model X. Also the cells temp - both hot and cold - need to be considered as they can both degrade and become volatile with heat or current draw plus are greatly impacted by colder temps and therefore the cells need to use cell energy to keep them warm and near peak performance. Size and weight is the benefit but it comes at an extortionate price currently.

Lead Acid (calcium or gel) leisure batteries at roughly £1 per Amp with a 5 year warranty make better sense for my money , thats 25 years warranty worth for £1200 at 240Ah - possibly more stable too for van life? I have about 800Ah of lithium cells so I'm not shy with owning / using the tech.

There are benefits to both cell types and budgets for every man. I commend you for the investment and feedback though.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

The trouble with lithium cells is they really need to be managed. For battery longevity an 80% max charge rate is recommended irrelevant if its an 18650 cell or Tesla Model X. Also the cells temp - both hot and cold - need to be considered as they can both degrade and become volatile with heat or current draw plus are greatly impacted by colder temps and therefore the cells need to use cell energy to keep them warm and near peak performance. Size and weight is the benefit but it comes at an extortionate price currently.

Lead Acid (calcium or gel) leisure batteries at roughly £1 per Amp with a 5 year warranty make better sense for my money , thats 25 years warranty worth for £1200 at 240Ah - possibly more stable too for van life? I have about 800Ah of lithium cells so I'm not shy with owning / using the tech.

There are benefits to both cell types and budgets for every man. I commend you for the investment and feedback though.
            I use a Victron smart shunt and it’s set so I don’t go to low. Great bit of kit! And relatively cheap! And as the batteries are under the bed they never get too cold in the winter as we use a Autoterm and seem to be cool enough in the summer. More luck than judgment. Lol.
            I can see exactly what you mean. All those points were my concern when I was deciding. But all things considered I’m happy I made the right decision. I guess as long as they last me long enough they will be worth it. Fingers crossed. Lol

Comment

It will be interesting to see. A real world test.

​​​
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                It will be interesting to see. A real world test.

​​​
                I’m away for a long weekend tomorrow so will get some idea.

Comment

Enjoy, and post some pics up.

Comment

Working...
                  X