No announcement yet.

Eric The Red’s voyage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since I updated. I finished running power from the leisure batteries in the back to the front of the van. I now have a small fuse box in the front. I power the reversing camera from it and some charging points at the mo but can just feed off it for other stuff as and when I want to.
    While covering the electrics I recently tested my lithium's to see if they were still performing as they should be so left the fridge running and turned the roof fan on every other day with no solar or hook up of course. After six days I still had 50% left on the batteries so decided they'd do!!
    I want to get round to putting a solar panel on the roof but for now I just use the Tiger2solar 120w solar blanket when I'm parked up. The flexi panel Tiger Exped do is the best match for my roof as one end of the panel will be by the Maxxair fan so sometimes part of it will be in shade. I found out that some panels only need a bit of shade on them and the performance drops significantly. The Tiger ones are built so that it doesn't matter.
    The next small job though when I get a couple of days off is to sort the radio out. The speakers keep cutting out. Must be a loose wire i guess.
    Anyway I'm going to endeavour to update more often! Oh and I'll find some pictures to post!

Comment

Here’s the screen for the reversing camera. For some reason the app isn’t letting me put many pics up. I’ll try again later.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

On the tenth try the app finally let me post this. Woohoo.
        Not really worth it though.

Comment

Here’s a shot of the solar blanket in use.

Comment

Good to see some 'new banded' (© Si) wheels in use

Comment

Is your high roof used for storage WD?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Is your high roof used for storage WD?
                Hi. Yes. I put a shelf in. Hope you can see from this photo. I use unwin rail and straps over the cargo.

Comment

Been running another test on my leisure batteries. I did one recently just in fridge mode. Got over 10 days without solar and charging. I've just tried in fridge freezer mode with the freezer set to -22degrees and got about 6 days. Considering the interior of the van has been getting up to 40 degrees in the sun I think I'll take that! I'm thinking I may hold off on the roof solar panel for now and just stick with the solar blanket. I may get a roof one in the winter when the prices are a bit better. The other charging systems are all working well!
                  My dilemma at the moment is whether or not to fit an inverter or get a power bank. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm not sure which way I'll go. Probably when I see a good offer on something. lol. When I do get either power source the van will then be gas free!

Comment

That's good going on both tests.
                    Albeit the fridge door wasn't opened at all, I assume?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      That's good going on both tests.
                      Albeit the fridge door wasn't opened at all, I assume?
                      I did open it a few times. And ran the maxxair fan for a day or so to roughly simulate camping. I’m pretty sure it was accurate.

Comment

That is good going then. Great to have those sorts of off grid info to camp around with.

Comment

Haven’t you got £1200’s worth of twin lithium battery setup?

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            Haven’t you got £1200’s worth of twin lithium battery setup?

Maybe. lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by windydubber View Post

Maybe. lol!!
                              I thought so.

For everyone else your 110amp standard leisure battery will last you 48 hours at best with a compressor fridge. Realistically less.

Solar power is the greatest thing ever. It means my super scrimping £120 battery along with £300 solar setup can provide continuous power to the fridge whilst it’s full of food and being opened 30+ times a day in any weather (for beer mainly). Also I run everything off the leisure including all interior lights Inc the cab and the stereo, water pump and diesel heater in the winter too.

Last edited by TommyP; 22 June 2022, 09:21 PM.
                              #vanlife

Comment

Double post, fucking app
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X