No announcement yet.

Flash Gordon is alive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im doing the exact same thing... rear cross member needing replaced.. any idea where i can get a good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• I have a tow bar on our blue petrol that replaces the beam, so that could be an option.

Comment

• I have the tow bar already (contemplating selling the cross member) but the only thing i was worried about was lack of support for the bumper? Suppose it aint an issue providing the kids dont jump all over it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
          Got a bit more done this weekend. Finally at the stage where I can start putting the back of the van back together, then take it off the axle stands hopefully.

Started with getting the repainted bumper bar back on. Welded on. Having a look at it I think it might be an older transporter bar? Doesn't bolt on at all, was welded on the old one. Works all the same.

Sprayed a bit of the semi-coded paint over the primer on the sides just to blend it in a bit. Looks OK out the corner of your eye, but not bothered considering I'm planning a respray this year.

Bumper supports back on with new grommets and push fittings. Solid now. Also re-filled the old screw receptacle bits on the bumper support so the bumper can be held proper. The previous owner had just put a screw through the bumper into the plastic of the support.

Finished grinding away the crap, electroxing and degreasing underneath the van.

Then got the Shutz out. Didn't really know what to expect, but really easy to spray and has a nice protective layer now.

Happy with the progress! Sorted all the wiring today as well. If the weather's good this week I should be able to get the bumper lights and everything back on!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s
          Im interested in the painting process of the rear panels, did you sand back to sheet metal before applying Electolux, then applying Shutz.. then painted? It looks great. Done a great job!

Comment

• Yeah all taken back to bare metal before electroxing. Two coats in areas that might be rust hotpots - one coat in safe areas. Then the shutz.

Thats on the underside. Same inside just without the shutz.

Comment

• Right! Got my deliveries to keep me busy over the god knows how long.

Decided to go for brand new metal rather than patching up the old crap. Cheers for the nudge Fruitbat!

Now, this sticker that comes on these metal parts "the finish on these parts is only designed for delivery and must be removed on installation"

Does this mean I need to strip the whole things and repaint? I'm thinking yes, but the whole front section?? Seems crazy!

OK, if I have to strip them all. Has anyone got good quick way to do it?

Away from questions and onto what I've done today.

Jacked up the front to get a proper look at the off side cross member... What off side cross member?

Once I'd tapped it a couple of times with a hammer and given it a minute or two with the wire brush there was nothing left!

The near side is much better. But bought both sides to replace anyway. I'm sure it will be nearly as bad once I've scraped away the dirt holding it together.

So once id cut off the old cross member, I decided to compare the new and the old - no real comparison in it haha.

Then I focused on removing the screenwash bottle and air filter - don't want to melt anything when welding.

Doesn't look too bad - bit of welding will be needed on the top once I've brushed the rust off.

Then I got carried away and decided to remove the quarter panel as well. Hahaha, I know it happens to everyone, but still lolled seeing all of the dirt - and a plant growing in the muck!

All cleaned up - needed the compressed air.

So what's the consensus on keeping the crappy bit of foam in the air intake or not? I've seen lots of conflicting opinions on whether to get rid, keep, replace or upgrade? Any ideas?

Mine is pretty crap - foam is perished, crumbling, and split. And growing a nice green moss - probably an undiscovered species.

Anyway, thanks for any comments or tips you guys can give!

Cheers!

Comment

• All looks a bit familiar to our blue one. Granted are's wasn't as bad.

Comment

• Put the silly foam thing where it belongs........................................... ..................in the bin.

Comment

• When I put the chassis leg in ours I used the front/headlamp panel as an aid to line it all up.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Put the silly foam thing where it belongs........................................... ..................in the bin.
                      I've reinserted mine......, the cab is quieter and I can show Greta my contribution to looking after the smaller World - well until each time its sprayed with bleach.

Comment

• These pictures are brilliant! Cant help but laugh at all that crap sitting above the wheel arch... im gonna end up ripping my van apart now!!! Must be a way of stopping all that shit from gathering there! You are gonna LOVE the piece of mind when this is all done. Respect!

Comment

• Get some thinners on a rag and wipe the new metal - that normally strips the black coating off

Comment

• That's exactly what I did! Haha. Worked a treat.

New patch welded in.

Today getting it painted and welded in.

Comment

• Cheers Stan! Yeah, it takes time, but I'm glad I'm getting all of the rotten bits and doing it properly. Don't want to have to do them again any time soon!

It looks like all of that crap and leaves gets in from the water hole and gap in the scuttle bit. So i suppose not parking under trees would help a lot!

Comment

• Ok!!! So heres where i am... turns out the front cross member aint too bad afterall... in certain areas the paint is coming off quite ‘almost’ easily... others... absolutely NOT! Doesnt look like welding required but this is gonna be a nightmare stripping that paint back! Angle grinder wire brush... but any other suggestions welcome!

Comment

Working...
                                X