• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep chipping away at it.
    Loving the write ups.
    Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Got a bit more done this weekend. Finally at the stage where I can start putting the back of the van back together, then take it off the axle stands hopefully.

Started with getting the repainted bumper bar back on. Welded on. Having a look at it I think it might be an older transporter bar? Doesn't bolt on at all, was welded on the old one. Works all the same.

Sprayed a bit of the semi-coded paint over the primer on the sides just to blend it in a bit. Looks OK out the corner of your eye, but not bothered considering I'm planning a respray this year.

Bumper supports back on with new grommets and push fittings. Solid now. Also re-filled the old screw receptacle bits on the bumper support so the bumper can be held proper. The previous owner had just put a screw through the bumper into the plastic of the support.

Finished grinding away the crap, electroxing and degreasing underneath the van.

Then got the Shutz out. Didn't really know what to expect, but really easy to spray and has a nice protective layer now.

Happy with the progress! Sorted all the wiring today as well. If the weather's good this week I should be able to get the bumper lights and everything back on!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Just T4s

Comment

Good job , great write up. Thanks
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Transporter transformation. As above.... top work.

Comment

Top job, keep those updates coming.

Comment

Hey Hans, what do you think of the spare wheel you posted me? Nearly there, bit more to do before I can spray it!

Before

After (only half done)

Got delivery of 25kg of garnet sand blasting media today and a cheapy gun. Worked a treat! On a big tarp I reckon I managed to recover about 75% of the stuff.

Once it's blasted I'll paint it then get a garage to put the tyre on.

Comment

Not done anything to the van for aaaages now. Work, life, skiing, unprecedented global pandemics getting in the way.

Finally got the rear lights all sorted out. Cut all the junior power timer connections off the ends of the rear looms and reterminated them all. Solved the voltage drop problem and all the lights work reliably again!

Decided to tackle the spare wheel, and didn't want to waste any more of my blasting media. So made myself a rough and ready blasting cabinet - simple and cheap but does the job!

Also moved my compressor filter regulator to the wall so there is about 7m of hose between the compressor and it now. Much better at removing the water vapour from the air. Made it removable as well - should set me up for respraying the van!

Anyway, here's the blasted steel! Looks great - really nice surface to spray.

Comment

What size compressor are you using mate, that blast cab does the job Nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

It's the Clarke Raider 15/500. 14.5cfm and 50 litres.

To be honest sand blasting would be better with a bigger compressor, but just about managed with this one!

Comment

• Got to love your ghetto sand blaster. And standard steels are the new banded you know.

Comment

• Just seen it mate. Must been slipping through. Looking brilliant

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• I used to sand blast in the 80's we had an old army compressor run off a 3 cylinder Fergie with the hand throttle held fully open to keep up and I had to wear a space suit as it would strip your skin straight off.

Comment

• So today, decided to tackle the front of the van - Cross member and off side outrigger. Awesome day for it.

Here's the before pics.

Is there any outrigger left?

Really liking the "mad max" lowered radiator and cross member look. Haha.

Yeah, really not in a good way.

Getting it cleaned up, lots of welding to be done. That's my plan this week.

Comment

• Just buy a decent second hand / new front panel , it’ll be a lot less time consuming

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                                Just buy a decent second hand / new front panel , it’ll be a lot less time consuming
                                Yeah haha. Didn't take me long after you said that to decide I'll just buy a new bottom section. £77 quid not bad really.

Comment

Working...
                                X