No announcement yet.

Rosy the Red wReck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifolds are all here, head has been cleaned up and injectors pulled out, 2 hole head gasket here, 1 manifold I’m using he arrived and 2 I won’t and now I have 3 spare K03 turbos (one is earmarked for Spedwing) if anyone else wants one then let me know. Got the manifolds to match.

ARL head bolts for £18 are here and cut down. Just need to drill out the washers and then I’ll pull the head down. Belt kit is here, new water pump. New crank seal for timing end.

Need to get some injectors nozzles sorted soon and work out which way I’m going with the clutch. VR6 or get the local firm to uprate the existing one with a double spring pressure plate and new organic material on disc. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• I lied, the exhaust manifold is here. I’ve got a standard AHU inlet but it’s a teenie tiny thing so I was looking at going for the Passat PD one. Any thoughts?

#vanlife

Comment

• Won't you need those other three K03's for each cylinder if you're hoping to break that 112bhp MTDI benchmark? ;-)

But seriously, I think Kevs after one for his 1/6th scale RC?

As for the clutch , give those locals a go.

Comment

• I’ve just won this for £30:

#vanlife

Comment

• I would've made a best offer on that

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
              I would've made a best offer on that

The pic shows it as if that’s the price but it was £60 and I offered £30 and they accepted.

#vanlife

Comment

• Ah well done mate

Comment

• Got on with the engine today:

I butchered a knackered gearbox casing I had lying round to use as a TDC tool:

Which meant I could get the belt on:
                  For the LR pump I marked up the pump nose to show where the slot was in the shaft and then then had to faff around getting the hub setup in roughly the right position so I could get a timing pin in it. Timed it up aiming for +1.2 but ended up at +1.22 @tdc with plenty of adjustment in the slotted PD130 pulley in either direction:

Then mocked up a few bits so I can plan stuff like turbo feeds etc: The bulkhead may need the hammer mod. Dunno yet, not bothered, I’ll deal with it when I get there.

Cleaned it up a tad and then finished for the day and hit the bottle:

All went together really well, really looking forward to getting it in, should be a couple weeks. Need to start getting some more stainless bits ordered for the exhaust. Can anyone recommend silencer types? I was thinking of one bullet style absorption one like the only one on the work van and then a more conventional style back box as I definitely don’t want this one loud, not fussed if it isn’t that quiet and has a little burble but I don’t want loud. Going for 2.5” for the lot.

#vanlife

Comment

• Love it Tom, keep it coming mate.

Comment

• Nice job TP, especially the improvised TDC casing! Shame about the casing, is the box now stripped?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Love it Tom, keep it coming mate.
                        Will do good buddy. Just wondering about leaving the gearbox in when I do the swap? What do you reckon? Not much work to get it all out together anyway but may save some time.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Nice job TP, especially the improvised TDC casing! Shame about the casing, is the box now stripped?
                          Yeah box is stripped, probably going to stick the gears in the old 2.4d box as they’re from an EWB.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            Got on with the engine today:

I butchered a knackered gearbox casing I had lying round to use as a TDC tool:

Which meant I could get the belt on:
                            For the LR pump I marked up the pump nose to show where the slot was in the shaft and then then had to faff around getting the hub setup in roughly the right position so I could get a timing pin in it. Timed it up aiming for +1.2 but ended up at +1.22 @tdc with plenty of adjustment in the slotted PD130 pulley in either direction:

Then mocked up a few bits so I can plan stuff like turbo feeds etc: The bulkhead may need the hammer mod. Dunno yet, not bothered, I’ll deal with it when I get there.

Cleaned it up a tad and then finished for the day and hit the bottle:

All went together really well, really looking forward to getting it in, should be a couple weeks. Need to start getting some more stainless bits ordered for the exhaust. Can anyone recommend silencer types? I was thinking of one bullet style absorption one like the only one on the work van and then a more conventional style back box as I definitely don’t want this one loud, not fussed if it isn’t that quiet and has a little burble but I don’t want loud. Going for 2.5” for the lot.

Single absorption can will be fine, mines 2.5 with single box and its quiet. Turbo kills all the noise

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Single absorption can will be fine, mines 2.5 with single box and its quiet. Turbo kills all the noise
                              It doesn’t on my work van! That’s mega loud now it’s got the K16 on it but then again, the exhaust run is probably only about a third of the length of the standard system.

I can stick a single absorption can in the centre and then run the pipework just past the rear axle and see how it sounds I suppose. This K14 turbo is much smaller than the K16 so that won’t let as much noise out and it’s a smaller engine so who knows.

Or did you mean single can AND a back box? If so that’s what I’m thinking.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

It doesn’t on my work van! That’s mega loud now it’s got the K16 on it but then again, the exhaust run is probably only about a third of the length of the standard system.

I can stick a single absorption can in the centre and then run the pipework just past the rear axle and see how it sounds I suppose. This K14 turbo is much smaller than the K16 so that won’t let as much noise out and it’s a smaller engine so who knows.

Or did you mean single can AND a back box? If so that’s what I’m thinking.

No, mine is single can.

But the pipe exits are out the back of the van that may make the difference from the cab perspective?

If I stand behind the van it has a beautiful deep bass throb but it's not loud or obnoxious

When I'm in the van, it's no louder than a stock one, probably sounds a load better if you are trying to follow me

I did fit a fairly big can to be fair then it's back to the duplex 2" pipework - no extra cans though. To be honest, when I ditched the rear can and single exit and went to a duplex with no can I thought it would be louder...

Comment

Working...
                                X