No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The battery keeps dying - probably a drain though I have let the battery go flat before so it’ll be on it’s late legs anyway. Leave it 2 days and it won’t crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• New battery, still need to check for a parasitic drain. Started having issues starting it occasionally and suspected the ignition switch as they’re slags. Keep spares and always have one in each van. Tried it, nope. Second item to check was the culprit, igniter wire to the starter. Crimped connector and now fine. Put another ign switch on anyway as it’s only had 3 this month. A new switch with every tank of diesel I say.

Was given this for free so collected it yesterday: I haven’t got time for it, wouldn’t have kept it anyway and it’s not worth much on the road. I’ve got a mate that was after one so I just passed it into him. He’s mega chuffed and has spent all weekend on it so I’m happy it’s gone to a good home and saved from the scrapyard.

#vanlife

Comment

• A free car ?? I’m doing something wrong

Comment

• No it's a Saab

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
            A free car ?? I’m doing something wrong
            It's a convertible. You wouldn't want to be seen in that.....people might start thinking alsorts Buddy.

Even Tommy doesn't want it, that should tell you all you need to know about that car. Not everything you get for free is good, like syphilis and lectures from Jehovas Witnesses.
            Last edited by arfur fox-acre; 14 June 2022, 04:15 PM.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
              A free car ?? I’m doing something wrong
              Because I’m on the front with my legs and belly hanging out the bonnet of something people stop and offer me all sorts of shite. Not often for free.

I put it down to being such a pleasant and approachable chap. Don’t listen to what Rob says. Or Kev. Or Arf or Neil. Or anyone that’s met me.

#vanlife

Comment

• Kev implied previously he prefers payment (he's cheap but apparently offers a great Welsh service) but he'd give you one for free too?

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

It's a convertible. You wouldn't want to be seen in that.....people might start thinking alsorts Buddy.

Even Tommy doesn't want it, that should tell you all you need to know about that car. Not everything you get for free is good, like syphilis and lectures from Jehovas Witnesses.
                  My mate has already got it sorted and it’s a cracking motor. Cleaned up a treat, everything works and even the battery is almost good despite being dead for 3 years. A couple nights on a reconditioned charger and it’s work even when left stood. Just wants brakes and tyres.

I’ve got my Swedish fix and it wouldn’t have been lucrative enough to be worth my time to flip it.

#vanlife

Comment

• With the weather having changed Friday, I found some time to write TP's v4 map. We'll book a meet up soon and move it on, just quicker! ;-)

Comment

• Theres a thread on the Club GTI forum from 2012 " Combining 02a and 02b gearboxes" have you seen it Tommy and is this the sort of thing you were thinking for the 6 speed?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Theres a thread on the Club GTI forum from 2012 " Combining 02a and 02b gearboxes" have you seen it Tommy and is this the sort of thing you were thinking for the 6 speed?
                        Yes I have seen it and yes that’s exactly what I’m going to try. But absolutely not for this van as it’ll destroy it in seconds. It ate two 02b boxes with less power than it has now so I wouldn’t ever be stupid enough to try it in the tweaked 2.5tdi. Maybe if I did what some others have done and fit a fancy VGT/VNT turbo but got the mapping to hold it back until 2500rpm thus rendering the entire point of a vgt totally wasted, it’d be okay but I like big old truck size wastegated turbos and demand that they spool as soon as they physically can for insane torque.

It’s the wrong thread but we’re here now so fuck it:
                        I found a few minutes last week/weekend, can’t remember which, to drain the box down and take a look.

So my plan is to transplant almost all the internals other than a few mentioned in that thread to the 02b casing and use the 02s end cap. The final drive ratios and therefore the individual gear ratios are so wildly different that just fitting the 5th and 6th wouldn’t work as it would be like 1-2-3-4-3-4 rather than 5-6.

So far, i’ve found that the 02s diff cups for the driveshaft bolt into the diff itself whereas the T4 ones as we know have shitty little C clips. So I’ve got 2 options, hope that I can swap the final drive gears from the 02s onto the 02b diff or, see if Kev can machine the 02b driveshaft cups to fit the 02s diff. I’ll need to double check but I don’t think that’ll work as the 02b diff includes a small extension that the nylon speedo drive gear is attached too whereas the 02s speedo is taken from the diff housing iirc.

Then there’s always the chance (which I could get Rob to check beforehand) that this box will be like when people put a mk4 golf diesel 02m into a van when they do the PD swap which having been out in one “mapped to 175bhp” makes them feel terribly shit as the gearbox is far far far too tall for a boxy 2-3 tonne van. Fine in a 1300kg golf but in a van. Nah, fucking atrocious. From calculations done, the golf 1.8t 180bhp petrol 6 speed fitted to a T4 works out to be roughly the same 1st-5th ratios as the standard ABL ratio box (66mph @3000rom in 5th) but with an added 6th for cruising. Then when you consider the diesels are much taller in the golfs or any cars diesel to petrol equivalent, hopefully that makes it easier to understand. The bloke that took me out in his says it’s incredibly rare he uses 6th as it’s just insanely tall.

Fingers crossed it’ll be doable but something tells me that surely if it was possible then someone is bound to have done it before. Having said that, the vast majority of T4 owners are unimaginative knuckle dragging bottom feeders so this is probably not applicable. Like the messiah Regina Cheeseman has told us, T4 owners are 10 years behind the caddy lads and I’d add to that by saying that they’re 18-22 years behind the golf boys.

If it doesn’t work, my backup plan is to fit an 02b EWB ratio box (tallest 02b available) and do a modest 5th upgrade for cruising. I just can’t be fucked with trying to fit an 02m into a van. The only be fit is they’re rated for an extra 100nm of torque which is definitely useful and then the bragging rights of having a 6 speed in a van that never gets driven. I have got a spare .62 5th here but that’s be ridiculous in an EWB box. I really hate the uprated 5th mods when they have a really tall one as it’s like going 1-2-3-4-8. The leap between 4th and 5th on the .62 is rancid.

This white van, the pokey 2.5tdi is staying with the 02G box as it’s similar to a cheap Eastern European hooker, it absolutely loves being battered senseless and just begs for more and more. No doubt it may break one day but I’ve got a spare. It gleefully takes **** spec full bore standing starts leaving 2 thick black lines up the road in the dry and it’s taken 15k of my sprinter driving so I’m totally sold on the magnificent 02G. Just a shame it doesn’t fit to the 4 pot engines or I wouldn’t piss around with any of the above as they’re all just a weak box option, I’d already have my spare 02G in the camper if i could.

Bet you wish you didn’t ask now……

#vanlife

Comment

• No mate,that's all very informative. Sorry it was a he wrong thread.

Comment

• Ahhhhh, eastern European hookers.

Be careful what you say to them, it can get lost in translation. "12 months" in Estonian is one phrase in particular.

Don't ask me how I know.
                            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• You could argue that rather than being behind some imaginative curve with speed hungry early 80's classic Dubbers, the T4 owner in the main is quite happy coasting at 80mph and the 5 movements of the stick it takes to get there?

Possibly the T4 owner is less influenced by Dub trends involving speed mods, favouring other factors?

Take a step back for a moment.

So, you've gained some extra performance - pump, injectors, IC, intake, aerodynamics, or you've dumped the pallet wood interior, fixings and boxed steel bed frame. The 5 forward gears don't "feel" right, amends the driving style after 3 years of ownership and its odd, you've increased the torque and its effortless to cruise between 25-80mph in 4th & 5th. You mod the 5th gear (it's easy, cheap and another notch on the modding bed post) and in the main you've guessed the gearing, in some cases stretching the last hop.

Whilst 6 speed transmissions improve the hops , get the wrong box code and it could worsen but thats if its actually possible. Is it actually worth the effort or guesswork involved or not if its fails? Why not just mod the 02B's 3rd, 4th and add that even longer 5th if you're keen to "catch up" with our lighter and speedier Dubbing cousins?

95% percent of us T4 owners are not chasing speed freakery or are remotely interested in breaking anything if it means the vans off the road or challenging ourselves on the forum platforms.

It's a nice alternative read bud, and I'm in .... 6 , 7 , 9 , semi autos , speed freak with cherry's on the top etc. but before you go balls deep, take a pace back and review.

Comment

• There are a lot of sheep, but saying T4 owners are behind the curve isnt always the case.The wife has had a Corrado for 21 years and if i hadnt been so tight we'd have had a mark one Golf since 95. But in all that time i was into other stuff, football,booze,tattoos, i dont do things by half . Its only in the last 8 years i've got into motors at all.If i hadnt got a van i'd have had a golf but i would have been playing catch up anyway as when folk were helping make vdubs what they are to dubbers today(caddy,golf t23456) i just wasent into it.I just tickle along at my own pace hoovering up information from where ever i can, be it folk on here or threads from 12 year ago or more.Its what it means to each of us in our own way that counts i spect.
                                Last edited by S49; 21 July 2022, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X