No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve been busy so haven’t done much to this really.

Drive shaft came loose, waiting for new bolts to turn up from AUTODOC. Should be here by June. Then the half shaft bearing to mount lost a bolt too. Sorted that today and thread locked the fuckers in.

Van is getting lighter so its arse in the air like it just don’t care. Similar to Kneel at the weekends with his ankles up whilst Cilla pegs him. To combat my starsky and hutch issues I’ve bought these second hand unused bargains: they’re 7” 1200lbs D Faulkners. Nearly half price.

The DMF is showing signs of dying after just 2000 miles and it started just over 1000. It shudders at 2000rpm when I nail it in 4th and 5th. Maybe even in 3rd.

The sound of it at 5000rpm is devastatingly and unequivocally addictive, non of it is going last very long, I want more. Looking for a spare gearbox for Justin.

Think I may have sourced my next turbo too, a Holset HE221W. Found it cheap from a company in Scandinavia, brand new too! Problem is the VAT and duties to the UK makes it about £500, still a steal for what it is though. Thankfully, I have a mate who’s just left for the EU for 6 weeks and it’s £310 if he buys it out there and then brings it back. I challenge any fucker to find a better, more advanced quality turbo of the same spec for even double that price. Just try, you can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Looking good and sounding better TP.
      I like the sound of the Holset and what a price!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Haha poor Kneel

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
          Haha poor Kneel
          Never mind Kneel, what about me? I can't get that image out of my head. Somebody pass me the mind bleach.
          Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• I’ve swapped the bottom ball joints as I panicked and I’ve got a thing about them. Lemforder of course. Got a bit of play in one of the tops so I’m swapping them too later this week or at the weekend.

Whilst is was there I threw in and thread locked the new multi hex driveshaft bolts on the side that fell out as I ran out of time and light to do the other side in time, just enough for the ball joint.

I fitted the new springs too. They are minuscule….. they can be pulled out if I Jack the van up but I have to lift them upwards then take them out from the bottom so I highly doubt they’ll fall out on the road. I hate the idea of the suspension limiting straps, they look like a godawful bodge. Should probably do something though, just hopefully not that…..Anyway, they’re 7” 1200lbs D Faulkners and they barely move, once I drop the van on them, they don’t move much at all. Not as soft as the standard springs that have come out so a harsher ride but not enough to bother me. It’s dropped the van about half an inch over the other and it wants a bit more so I’ll swap out the standard thickness rubber spring mount bush thingies for the 5mm poly ones. That should just about cover it.

Non of this has made any difference to my brand new knackered DMF though…….

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh and I’ve ordered a Holset HE221W!!! WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Big boost with no fucks given here we coooooomme!!!!

Might have to cut out or ‘adapt’ the bulkhead again to get it in but that’s no problem.

#vanlife

Comment

• That poor, poor clutch.

Comment

• Big boost - bollocks....

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Big boost - bollocks....

You know I struggle to keep up with this stuff at the best of times, you're going to have to be more clearer.
                    Big boost eh? I don't get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                      You know I struggle to keep up with his stuff at the best of times, he's going to have to be more clearer about big boost eh? I don't get it.
                      Corrected the text for you Arf.

Comment

• Fanks.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Big boost - bollocks....

My mapper doesn’t know how to control himself when it comes to fueling so big boost is likely. Never mind the N75 map….

#vanlife

Comment

• Lol....

Comment

• So I’ve always known this van sets off car alarms if I drive close enough on most makes, land rover’s especially easily but tonight it set off a house a alarm. I’ve only ever had one other car with the bass to do that, a Sierra XR4X4 with a full Burton Power system.

Feeling quite happy with that. Have to be careful it’s not a neighbours or anyone that will recognise it locally though or I’ll be changing bricked windows more that I replace gearboxes and clutches.

Dropped the old locked up 02b to my gearbox bloke today. I’ll get it unlocked and fixed and then with the previous rebuild with all bearings, I’ll flog it to a sheep. It’s had all the syncros done already and the .62 5th gear upgrade so it is actually a cracking box for someone that’s running feeble power. It was a really lovely box actually. Maybe Kev will have it?

#vanlife

Comment

• I’ve got a MAF issue. It’s. Brand new Bosch MAF but drops the signal for a second or so, usually when I’m leathering it and above 4krpm but the logs reveal it does it lower in the revs too, fault code says P1145 - intermittent short to plus. Might be wiring, if not I’ve got a spare used MAF to try. Hoping to take a look this weekend.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X