The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Sorry, I meant the other one they do by Weston’s is the one I’ve been drinking for years. Not seen that one in there.

Yep, haven’t got the heart or inclination to fuck about anymore, I’ll build it up, test it and if it works fine, which I imagine it will then great. If not I’m laying it up and I’ll sort and start using the 3rd LWB T4 non of you know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    You havent bought a white 2.4 from the South Yorkshire area have you?

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
      Tommy when I did my clutch on the old 2.4. I pulled the lot. No way I would do it the other way
      It is possible as I’ve done it and others do but a fucking nightmare mate. I’ve always previously just pulled the lot. I only did it this way so I didn’t feel I was going too far backwards but in reality, I’ve made more work for myself and potential problems.

Lesson learned the very hard way. I knew it before but didn’t realise it would be this shitty, especially when compared to the absolute breeze it is with the engine and box out.

Last edited by TommyP; 5 December 2021, 12:18 AM.
      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post

You havent bought a white 2.4 from the South Yorkshire area have you?
        No lol that vans in Germany. I’ve had this one a while. My dirty little secret. I actually forgot I had it as it needs ball joints and an alternator so I dumped it at my sisters last summer. Done loads to it but no build threads or details, it’s the mistress van, rarely seen and never spoken of.

#vanlife

Comment

• Only managed to get an hour and a bit on it today as I’ve been busy with other stuff but got the shafts back on and linkage, few other bits too. Just gotta bleed the clutch and test it.

One of the bottom ball joint bolts feels iffy so I’ll just stick new joints and bolts on. I keep a full set of lemforder ones in stock for Justin. Always mega paranoid so change them often, I’m funny like that.

#vanlife

Comment

• What do you use for wishbone bush replacements TP - is it always Lemforder again, or do you prefer the Powerflex type?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim24 View Post
              What do you use for wishbone bush replacements TP - is it always Lemforder again, or do you prefer the Powerflex type?
              Depends, lemforder or poly bushes depending on where they’re for. I might poly bush all these though - I’ll look into it. Some bushes are best kept rubber or some things like my mk4 golf, I’ve gone for an uprated rubber one that bolts through vertically as poly in that is horrific. Think the T4 ones might all be good for poly though.

#vanlife

Comment

• Right so after a few days of total horseshit from the van it’s now back on the road and useable again.

The hub was fucked, one of the lower ball joint bolts wasn’t very tight and it didn’t tighten nicely either, whatever thread was left was stripped well before the torque spec…… that prompted a can of worms pulling the hub off as I don’t have time right now to piss around changing all the joints and track rods and ends. Typically when they’ve been on a while they can be a slag to tighten back up. Lots of colourful language and a day later after trying to get hold of an M12x1.5mm helicoil kit and it was all back together and torqued up fine and dandy.

Built the front back up and everything and fired it up. Back on its wheels and checked the important stuff, lights, wipers and stuff - hazards don’t work as the old loom doesn’t work with all the new stuff. I’ll add it to the list. I took it for a spin and it was good. The initial MAP by Rob works a treat. Makes good power and shifts. Turbo is exceptionally loud compared to before, I searched for a boost leak but nothing obvious. The sound is erratic and delayed so a mate suggested the wastegate. That makes sense as when it was mTdi I ran the turbo based on whatever fueling I set it at would provide so I’ve never heard the wastegate open before.

I checked the timing and it’s a touch retarded as per spec and I didn’t manage to navigate into the IQ either so it’s on belt timing setup and nothing else so far.

Early (probably premature) Tdi observations: they’re lazy and have terrible throttle response. No worse than any other motor that runs via you telling it what you want it to do, then it calculating a load of shite and working out how to go about it and then finally doing it. The lazy bit is the bit that’s premature as the timing will probably sort that. IQ too maybe? Dunno, I’m just learning this stuff. Oh and before anyone chimes in with “my Tdi is fine and very response” I’d ask, have you driven a 2.5 mTdi? Thought not so don’t waste your time typing it. The mTdi is the cable attached to the pedal which your foot is on moving the throttle shaft and spill collar in the pump at the precise time your foot is moving so no electrical delay. Having said that, it’s no different to anything with an ECU, the golf is the same they all are. I’ll very quickly get used to it and I’ll forget about it in no time at all so it isn’t an issue. If you’ve only driven a Tdi, that’s all you’ll know and it’ll become my normal too. Anyway it makes good power and just needs more fuel low down. Not sure as the taller gearbox makes it difficult to compare but the mTdi made a touch more torque but never revved as cleanly as this. It drives nice, Rev got it spot on when I spoke to him earlier when he described them as “sanitised”.

In summary: I’m very happy with it especially at this early stage and it’s back to work tomorrow and the camper has now gone into the garage for some work. I may keep it on the road though whilst the white wreck gets a shakedown and get the golf sorted instead. I’ll decide by the weekend.
                #vanlife

Comment

• What's this mTDI shite about responsiveness?

Electromagnetic waves must travel at near light speed or 300 million meters per fuckin second. By the time the cable slack is taken up on an mTDI the signals fucked off orbited the van a few billion times, taken breakfast lunch and dinner had a kip after each meal and still connected quicker.

I'm confused though.... from the "start map supplied", has it been down graded?
                  WhatsApp earlier today ...
                  "Although it does start pulling from 1400 it starts to really pull at 1800 and then at 2500 all hell breaks loose."

"I don’t need the hammer. It runs smooth already and all the usual symptoms you get that make that necessary aren’t there anyway."

"As crazy as it sounds me saying that but no chance. The 22psi on the mTdi wasn’t much more powerful at all than this at 13psi"

"An additional 10psi would make far too much power."

Boo hoo, my van can't handle the power!
                  Please Sir ..... can I have less!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    What's this mTDI shite about responsiveness?

Electromagnetic waves must travel at near light speed or 300 million meters per fuckin second. By the time the cable slack is taken up on an mTDI the signals fucked off orbited the van a few billion times, taken breakfast lunch and dinner had a kip after each meal and still connected quicker.

I'm confused though.... from the "start map supplied", has it been down graded?
                    WhatsApp earlier today ...
                    "Although it does start pulling from 1400 it starts to really pull at 1800 and then at 2500 all hell breaks loose."

"I don’t need the hammer. It runs smooth already and all the usual symptoms you get that make that necessary aren’t there anyway."

"As crazy as it sounds me saying that but no chance. The 22psi on the mTdi wasn’t much more powerful at all than this at 13psi"

"An additional 10psi would make far too much power."

Boo hoo, my van can't handle the power!
                    Please Sir ..... can I have less!

Other than say in the passengers seat of mine your experience of the mTdi is…….?

You were never ready for it. One day grasshopper.

#vanlife

Comment

• And I’ll take all the power this clutch can handle when it’s bedded in lol

#vanlife

Comment

• I’ve been a busy girl hence the lack of updates. Between research and Candy Crush, i haven’t got much time for posting.

Anyway, the vans been back at work but is limping it tits off and in all sorts of scenarios so I can’t even work out what’s making it so it other than the Underboost error code. I think it’s something to do with the N75 piping. A T4 Tdi has one boost line from the N75 to the turbo but my K16 turbo has 2….. info on the Audi AAT 2.5tdi is scarce but I’ve found some info and argued with Rob at length and now Iive piped it up differently. The top port on the wastegate actuator is a ballache to get at to get the pipe on as it took a sledgehammer to the bulkhead to get it to fit as it is. Access is shite. Done it now.

Had an issue with rushing to setup the linkage so it would occasionally jump out of 1st gear and as the linkage was changed for the 02G one, I hadn’t done the short shift either. Dealt with both there issues today and it’s mega sexy now.

Still got the oil leak from the timing end despite changing a knackered camshaft oil seal when I did the belt. Probably the rocker as it wasn’t sat quite right. I’ll do it again over Xmas.

Tomorrow I’ll tweak the timing as it’s a tad retarded. That should help the cold starts, not that they’re bad anyway and maybe the throttle response will improve a tad.

Got a stat housing leak but I’ve got loads of stats so I’ll see if I get time to throw one in tomorrow.

I need to change the door pins as they’re fully knackered now so the central locking is re locking and arming the alarm after 15 seconds or so. This is an absolute ballache when on site as I’m in and out of it all day long. Got them so I’ll stick em on tomorrow.

I’m hoping the revised boost pipework will stop it underboosting and limping as per the map but at 13psi peak boost and a fair amount of grunt, if it makes the 23psi it’s mapped to, I’m highly confident it’ll burn out the clutch and detonate the DMF so I’ll take it easy for a couple days.

Robs got a revised map with less peak boost and more low down fueling so it’ll hopefully pick up a bit more like the old mTdi did.

Still managed to leave my mate in his biturbo Vivaro for dead on numerous occasions the other night leaving work but they’re only a 1.6 and a mere 125bhp so they were hollow victories. It then timed limp perfectly with coming into traffic - gotta love it for that as it’s mostly hugely inconvenient trying to shift nearly 3 tonnes with 12bhp and all the torque of 2 harnessed Yorkshire Terriers. Got a job with another mate with a 175bhp Transit Custom in a couple weeks, that’ll be a laugh as his van is quite heavy too.

I should really grow up.

#vanlife

Comment

• Pahahaha.
                          "so I can’t even work out what’s making it so it other than the Underboost error code"

You know exactly why.
                          You ignored my advice,

Comment

• Dont underestimate the raw power of two harnessed Yorkies.
                            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• What about two. Chiwawas

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                                What about two. Chiwawas
                                Chihuahuas. Just saying.
                                All show and no go, them little buggers. Just like Mexicans in general.
                                Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

Working...
                                X