No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLD! To the fat bastard in Leicesterstan.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Activ. You can see the result

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
        Activ. You can see the result
        Nice1 HM & TP.
        I was securing it for TP as we've both been looking for him.

How do you find an SMF clutch running on an ACV engine HM?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Activ. Mine has been converted from Auto to manual before I got it. When I done the clutch in may I found it had the smf. Mine is an AUF. With a few tweaks it goes very well and drives fine. In fact why do they even need a dmf

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
            Activ. Mine has been converted from Auto to manual before I got it. When I done the clutch in may I found it had the smf. Mine is an AUF. With a few tweaks it goes very well and drives fine. In fact why do they even need a dmf
            They drive smoother with a DMF and it’s better for the gearbox. Some say crank damage can happen with the SMF but I’m not so sure on that one. Most issues with DMF’s seem to occur in higher power T4’s, most don’t need to worry. A simple remap isn’t high power so the majority can sleep easy knowing they’ll be fine. With any sense of knock the power goals on the head and enjoy a reliable van but fuck, that would be boring.

I can’t wait to get mine back on the road to make up for lost time by kicking it’s teeth in without mercy.

#vanlife

Comment

• Send help, I’m turning into Rob. I’ve now got:

1 used LUK DMF
              1 new LUK DMF
              1 used SMF brand unknown atm from HM
              1 used SMF that came out the van
              1 uprated organic VR6 Clutch for SMF
              1 uprated organic LUK clutch for a DMF
              1 new LUK clutch for DMF

And this I’m pretty sure I’m buying as a very expensive backup from the man himself: It’s a Sachs Race Engineering clutch kit for SMF’s. That’ll almost definitely work and hopefully last a decent amount of time too. All these people that blather on about having 2000bhp and 17,000lbsft torque and use these fine are talking about their empty vans that get trailered to Santa pod and only ever doing drag runs. My van would be the one that’s fully loaded with shit and towing the trailer from the outer Hebrides each weekend down to do it so yes, it’ll hold the power for deffo but for how long during extreme and more importantly, constant use? I dunno. If all else fails, I have a firm that can do something about the SRE if needed to get a balance of both.

Starting to see clutches, flywheels and gearboxes in my sleep and visions. It’s just like the time I did LSD when I was younger and could have swore I was being chased by Spyro the Dragon through fields. It ain’t right.

#vanlife

Comment

• Tommy. The flywheel is valeo

Comment

• Tommy. Are you fitting the box today. Pissing down here can't do nothing van related so going Xmas shopping Instead

Comment

• Yeah, got the box back in today. Hands down the worse job I’ve ever had to do on a T4. Reg once asked me whether it was better to take the box out with the engine still in the van and I told him to just pull the lot as it’s easier. Should have stuck with that advice as it’s an absolute thunder**** of a job on your own and with the van on the floor. I will never ever do it that way again. It HAS taken longer. A couple of hours maybe. I only did it as I didn’t want to pull the lot and feel like I was going backwards……what a fucking deluded twat I am.

Done and remounted but no chance I could get it running or anything, still got the shafts and all sorts to fuck about with:

Just threw in the LUK DMF clutch and CSC for now. I fucking hate this van at the minute.

#vanlife

Comment

• If its getting too much Tommy have 4 or 5 of these a bit swift like. Its Westons Special Vintage Reserve dressed up as Aldi's own. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4889.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	634.7 KB
ID:	335441Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4888.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	335442

Comment

• My mate used to say it was like licking poison fogs.

Comment

• I’ve been drinking them for years. There’s another one Aldi do made by Weston’s too.

I’m hitting the whiskey hard now as I think there’s a chance that doing the gearbox the fucking retard way has possibly fucked the new clutch and maybe even the DMF. Took hours of ragging it round to get it in. I can’t accurately explain in words that aren’t all swearing how close I was to putting a hammer through the windscreen.

#vanlife

Comment

• First time i've seen that one in Aldi form. If you got it in and bolted up it'll be fine. loads of times i've had trouble lining stuff up and thought it'll be fooked for sure but been alright.Once couldnt get fifth or reverse in a Rover 216. Then remembered i'd dropped the fffing box on its end. Took the tin plate off the end, knocked out the dent and all was good. Well....... good for a BMC.
                            Last edited by S49; 4 December 2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              First time i've seen that one in Aldi form. If you got it in and bolted up it'll be fine. loads of times i've had trouble lining stuff up and thought it'll be fooked for sure but been alright.Once couldnt get fifth or reverse in a Rover 216. Then remembered i'd dropped the fffing box on its end. Took the tin plate off the end, knocked out the dent and all was good. Well....... good for a BMC.
                              Sorry, I meant the other one they do by Weston’s is the one I’ve been drinking for years. Not seen that one in there.

Yep, haven’t got the heart or inclination to fuck about anymore, I’ll build it up, test it and if it works fine, which I imagine it will then great. If not I’m laying it up and I’ll sort and start using the 3rd LWB T4 non of you know about.

#vanlife

Comment

• Tommy when I did my clutch on the old 2.4. I pulled the lot. No way I would do it the other way

Comment

Working...
                                X