No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the title van of this thread, I’ve done about 5k in the van since I got it sorted the other month and it’s running good (when warm) starts on the button but runs rough as fuck. Long winded to explain but I think it’s down to the alternator load when the glow plugs are running and the battery has been slightly discharged after cranking. Bear with me…….

The throttle/fulcrum lever in the pump is from a Land Rover 300 Tdi pump and this needed a hole drilling to mount the gov spring assembly. There’s and bit sticking out of the lever that means the idle spring and it’s little washer/retaining plate aren’t sitting square so unlike a usual diesel, when you lift you foot off the clutch it’s very easy to stall it at idle rather then maintain the idle and start pulling away. The extra load on the alt and this fact lead me to believe this needs dealing with.

The van is currently running about 18-19 psi and pulls great but smokes off boost. I feel I may need to do a regesque turbo wastegate mod and then reduce fuel a bit more as I have the boost controller set to 30psi but it still rarely makes 20psi. When it was running 22psi it sometimes slipped the nearly new 300lbsft rated Sachs clutch and made much more power at the top end thus pulling much cleaner through the entire Rev range. It still blows off my brothers 2018 transit custom 130ps with ease and he carries fuck all weight compared to mine so it still goes well but I know it’s capable of far more as it felt like it had it before. Again, timing is more retarded compared to previous setup.

Still had an oil leak on the engine timing side so if the oil leak fucked the IP belt then I’m certain this is a ticking time bomb for the car timing. Not got time to deal with it for a couple months yet though so fingers crossed it holds out. I suspect the rocker bolts have been over tightened as the new rocker has been battered in instant gasket and still leaks. The threads
    #vanlife

Comment

• I’ve busted another banded steelie……

Starting to think these types of wheels may just be for the typical 99% of weekend warrior - fair weather T4 owners and not for the select few of us that use them as they were intended to be……. and a little teenie bit past their limits maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
        I’ve busted another banded steelie……

Starting to think these types of wheels may just be for the typical 99% of weekend warrior - fair weather T4 owners and not for the select few of us that use them as they were intended to be……. and a little teenie bit past their limits maybe.

Couldnt be that your getting a little bit, oh how can I put this delicately,.....tonk? Maybe take the salad option, a few less burgers? Operación Bikini?
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

Couldnt be that your getting a little bit, oh how can I put this delicately,.....tonk? Maybe take the salad option, a few less burgers? Operación Bikini?
          Yes, being a big fat **** won’t help. It is the drivers side……

#vanlife

Comment

• Its always the drivers side!

Comment

• I’ve hit some major pot holes which have made my arse eat the seat but wheels have not even leaked … your an animal dude

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
                I’ve hit some major pot holes which have made my arse eat the seat but wheels have not even leaked … your an animal dude
                Hahahaha! Hungry bum lol.

I always try and avoid potholes especially after that one time- in band camp when I wrecked the first wheel and was stuck in Stoke for hours. I think it’s just the combination of it being a fully loaded 1200 payload van with a, erm, errrrrr 1200 worth of payload *whistles* and the 205/50 lowish profile tyres that don’t have much sidewall to absorb the impacts as much as balloon tyres.

Anyway, I’ve found this at the bottom of the Solent and stuck it on:

Irritatingly it’s a slightly bigger rolling radius so when I nail it the van dives for the oncoming Lane. I’m calling it torque steer……..

#vanlife

Comment

Hahahaha! Hungry bum lol.

I always try and avoid potholes especially after that one time- in band camp when I wrecked the first wheel and was stuck in Stoke for hours. I think it’s just the combination of it being a fully loaded 1200 payload van with a, erm, errrrrr 1200 worth of payload *whistles* and the 205/50 lowish profile tyres that don’t have much sidewall to absorb the impacts as much as balloon tyres.

Anyway, I’ve found this at the bottom of the Solent and stuck it on:

Irritatingly it’s a slightly bigger rolling radius so when I nail it the van dives for the oncoming Lane. I’m calling it torque steer……..

To4que steer. Jajajajajajaja

Comment

To4que steer. Jajajajajajaja
                    How very dare you gringo. Isn’t yours a standard 2.5?

#vanlife

Comment

How very dare you gringo. Isn’t yours a standard 2.5?

It is indeed Sir. 102 horse of which I think 40 or so have bolted from the stable, 20ish appear to be hobbled and most of the rest are just about dead.

Awful machine.

Comment

It is indeed Sir. 102 horse of which I think 40 or so have bolted from the stable, 20ish appear to be hobbled and most of the rest are just about dead.

Awful machine.
                        They all are.

#vanlife

Comment

• Well i thought it would last longer but it hasn’t…..

……I’ve destroyed this gearbox now too. The rebuilt one.

3 guesses what I’m doing this weekend.

#vanlife

Comment

Well i thought it would last longer but it hasn’t…..

……I’ve destroyed this gearbox now too. The rebuilt one.

3 guesses what I’m doing this weekend.

Could you employ some sort of clever device to limit the fuel delivery at lower revs to keep the gearbox torque in check, some sort of torque limit setting that would have to vary with revs, dunno how you might achieve that though, maybe one of those old spinny governor type devices stuck out of the bonnet? Maybe one day they could do it with electrikery (when that is invented) but that's just the dreams of a madman...

Comment

• You've got another gbox lined up?
                              You were collecting them at one point.
                              Were your gearbox contacts offering any warranty?

Comment

• Karen and his bloody warranties.

Take it back and whine louder than the box Tommy and you'll get another one free.

Comment

Working...
                                X