X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ross.b View Post
    I do love a Panel Van…

Looks cracking, and rolling coal….
    It’s not in the best nick really but it’s half presentable. It gets absolutely battered all the time in every way, body, engine, chassis when towing heavy shit etc. I just love it though.

I’ll get pics or even better a vid of it rolling coal at some point. I’m torn between getting it back on the rollers now as it is or after I’ve had time to make sense of the timing device/dynamic advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Go on Tommy. Go and get it on the dyno.

We’re all sat here waiting to see what 22pdi translates into Bhp.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

It’s not in the best nick really but it’s half presentable. It gets absolutely battered all the time in every way, body, engine, chassis when towing heavy shit etc. I just love it though.

I’ll get pics or even better a vid of it rolling coal at some point. I’m torn between getting it back on the rollers now as it is or after I’ve had time to make sense of the timing device/dynamic advance.

Looking forward to seeing that mate....

Comment

• On way back tonight the van lost power and then it came back in waves but with diesel advance clatter - then died. Nearly starts again but clattery and dies. The IP belt and pulleys are drenched in oil from the rocker leak so I think it’s just jumped a tooth. No biggie……. I hope….

#vanlife

Comment

• Not the crankshaft timing belt then? So thats not too bad? Or am I being a thick?

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              On way back tonight the van lost power and then it came back in waves but with diesel advance clatter - then died. Nearly starts again but clattery and dies. The IP belt and pulleys are drenched in oil from the rocker leak so I think it’s just jumped a tooth. No biggie……. I hope….

Fingers crossed for you. I've known two vans of mine (work vans) to be a tooth out with no damage.
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• He be fine.Different belt for the injection on the 2.4/2.5 .

Comment

• Ah thought so. Phew. Lucky then

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                    Ah thought so. Phew. Lucky then
                    Especially with all the he's put into it.

Comment

• Not sure yet, taking today off to sort her out. I’ll check the IP timing first to see if it’s just that belt and then the engine timing to rule out a dodgy tensioner or something that end. Either isn’t a big deal to sort out and I’ll hopefully have it going again this morning so I can get back and get the camper going subject to injector arrival.

#vanlife

Comment

• How'd you get on Thomas?

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

• New belt on and timed up to the same as before (+1.15) and it won’t run, doesn’t even try. It’ll go with easy start and I checked the timing and I’m pretty sure it’s spot on. The pump head is producing lift on the dti but I suspect something more sinister is going on inside. Maybe something went tits up inside, locking the pump and stripping the belt which looks to be about the same amount of teeth missing that would be in contact with one of the pulleys:

Just in case, I’ve found another Volvo pump and cheap as fuck too which I’ll pick up tomorrow. It’s £110 and comes with a Volvo turbo and manifold which is already sold to another member so the pump will cost me £55. Bargain!

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh and to add insult to injury, on the way to pick up the new belt in the scirocco (the only one of our 4 motors that was running) the clutch cable snapped and the AA had to tow it home!!!!

I’m so busy I’ve sent the golf to a mate for the rack to be changed and the clutch cable is due in today.

#vanlife

Comment

• Finally got round to taking a look at the pump today. Whipped it off and stripped it down: fuck all wrong with the pump so I rebuilt it. The lid seal was all chewed up inside which was random:

I did notice that the fuel in pipe was kinked which may have stopped it running when I put a new belt on but it wouldn’t have chewed the last belt up. I can only imagine that it was from the catastrophic rocker cover oil leak that had saturated the belt and caused it to deteriorate and fail prematurely? The inside of the pump was spotless and there were no marks inside it so I can rule out it locking up.

#vanlife

Comment

• Whilst it was apart I took the rocker off, cleaned it and the head up and blasted it with gasket sealer to stop the leak. Fingers crossed it works this time as it’s a new gasket already.

Also with the pump off, I added some shims to the dynamic advance. As mine isn’t electric, and therefore unable to bleed off pressure, I think it’s advancing far too early and all the time even a touch at idle. Logically, the Tdi must have a soft spring so it can hold the pressure and advance the timing at idle for cold starting. Adding preload should help, I’m sure it’ll be trial and error and not an exact science for someone like me but we’ll see.

I changed the idle spring in the Governor as well as the old one was shit. It wouldn’t sustain itself as well at idle if you tried to move away like a diesel should. Instead it would stall fairly easily.

Oh and the battery is charged but has been flat for a few weeks so that’ll be shagged and need changing. Been toying with the idea of a small solar panel above the cab but I’ll settle for it being back on the road at this point as I’m sick of driving round in a 2.4td. I’ve been there and done that and I’m past it. A distant memory i would have preferred to leave that way.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X