The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
    Picked up the (probably temporary) gearbox today and a nifty little turbo for the camper. The bloke had a 130pd (mapped to 175) and matching gearbox. No adaptor plate and a tidy install. It went well - just sounded pants but a good conversion for anyone considering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Was the engine all wonky in the bay? lent backwards

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Was the engine all wonky in the bay? lent backwards
      Nope not really, maybe a tiny smidge more upright than the T4 engine but it look very simple and effective and it shifty well:

If any minor criticism is to be had, I’d say that the gearing was possibly too tall. It wasn’t like pulling off in 2nd but you can tell that even first is taller. Not sure how that would work with towing for me. Getting nearly 6 tonnes rolling from a dead stop up a hill is no joke. The rest of you fairweather T4 drivers would be fine though.

#vanlife

Comment

• Had a hand from our favourite German. Took just under 4 hours and the engine was out: it was cold and a tad of rain at times but me and Fritz persevered.

The outgoing Valeo clutch was a tad worn but I’d say no more than 50% when compared to the new Sachs one. Possibly 1mm from each side so obviously the new pump was too much for it.

The same thing did the box:

99% of the teeth have found their way into the rest of the box. Striped, cleaned, new bearings and a fifth gear set and it would ride again.

The release bearing sent with the Sachs was damaged in transit: these are the little tabs that hold it to the release fork, the Sachs ones are plastic whereas the Valeo ones coming out are metal? I briefly considered sticking the Valeo one back in as that would mean we’d have had the engine back in today but I decided not to risk it. Fuck knows why as the old bearing would still outlast the new box.......

#vanlife

Comment

• Be interested to see driveshaft angle and position on that PD

Comment

Be interested to see driveshaft angle and position on that PD

#vanlife

Comment

• I went out in it over speed bumps and down his kerb, lock to lock. No noises, rubs, bangs or f all. I asked about it specifically and he said all he ever gets is if he nails it in reverse he gets a slight rub from the engine moving in the other direction. But normal or even spirited reversing and it’s fine.

#vanlife

Comment

• It was also on its standard key and cluster. £60 unlocked ECU.

Funnily enough I’ve just been offered a 130 golf for £400. If I hadn’t got so much stuff on I’d go for it and stick it in the camper.

Last edited by TommyP; 14 February 2021, 11:16 PM.
                #vanlife

Comment

• I must admit its something on my mind too... a pd130 or pd150 in the van could be pretty awesome. With the space in a van bay its got a lot of scope for tuning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    I must admit its something on my mind too... a pd130 or pd150 in the van could be pretty awesome. With the space in a van bay its got a lot of scope for tuning.
                    He said the turbo was a tad tight but other than that it’s just fab up some mounts, exhaust connection, loom, 1 mk4 shaft and 30mm spacer and that’s about it.

#vanlife

Comment

• Cheers TP. Apologies for the questions.
                      What type of gear change mech? Mk4 cable or T4 rods.
                      Was the fusebox exchanged?
                      Did he retrofit the aircon?
                      Install the Comfort Control Modules?

Which woukd be better ... TT BAM or Mk4 PD ARL?

Comment

So when I asked if the engine was in all wonky, you lied?

That sump would last 10 minutes round here.

Sure it'll be fine, but I'd be tempted to clock the gearbox around the bellhousing 20 - 30 degrees on an adaptor plate, lift the engine and gain some turbo space. The four pot does give much more potential for 6 speed fitment.

There's a beetle based pikes pike diesel running tuned 2.0 CR engines - now they look like potential, have a you tube for it...
                        Last edited by regcheeseman; 15 February 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Cheers TP. Apologies for the questions.
                          What type of gear change mech? Mk4 cable or T4 rods.
                          Was the fusebox exchanged?
                          Did he retrofit the aircon?
                          Install the Comfort Control Modules?

Which woukd be better ... TT BAM or Mk4 PD ARL?
                          T4 gear change mech.
                          No mention of fuse box but I didn’t ask
                          Not sure on aircon. Not sure why you’d bother anyway as they have windows.
                          No idea on comfort shite either but he seemed on the same wavelength as me so I doubt he’d have bothered with useless shit like that.

BAM or ARL: do you want a petrol or a diesel?!?!

#vanlife

Comment

So when I asked if the engine was in all wonky, you lied?

That sump would last 10 minutes round here.

Sure it'll be fine, but I'd be tempted to clock the gearbox around the bellhousing 20 - 30 degrees on an adaptor plate, lift the engine and gain some turbo space. The four pot does give much more potential for 6 speed fitment.

There's a beetle based pikes pike diesel running tuned 2.0 CR engines - now they look like potential, have a you tube for it...
                            It was on the piss for a golf but about the same as a T4. If I lied it was only to keep you on your toes.

I didn’t notice any scrape marks on the sump but it might be a tad lower than the subframe. It’s a lowered van.

Interestingly, I think he said his cousins 2.5tdi has a later 6 speed Passat gearbox? I recall something about the casing being easier to work with? I’m awaiting further info. Might be another lie, you decide Reginald.....

#vanlife

Comment

Interestingly, I think he said his cousins 2.5tdi has a later 6 speed Passat gearbox? I recall something about the casing being easier to work with? I’m awaiting further info. Might be another lie, you decide Reginald.....
                              If it's another ham fisted botched up sump scraper you can shove it in yer coal bunker.
                              That aint a lowered van, lowered vans have engine lifts...

Comment

• Looking at that photo again, that cv could have gone a lot lower in the subframe cut out and made the the gearbox more horizontal, and lifted the front edge of the engine up - but then that would either push the turbo through the bulkhead or push the whole lot forward and end up with silly driveshaft angles and driveshafts that seem to last 6 months between rebuilds as I've seen on a lot of these PD installs.

Comment

Working...
                                X