The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch is playing up. Gearbox is already on its last legs. Sounds grim lol

The torque spike causes the clutch to slip for a second or two then bite back which it didn’t do before. I’m going to fit that little strengthening bracket in the pedal mount as a bit of preventative maintenance and I may as well change both clutch cylinders too whilst I’m there.

Can anyone recommend any brands of clutch master and slave cylinders? Not VW either as they don’t build shit so I’m not paying extra for a white box and logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Get the pedal bracket from boatyard dubs off fleabay, he invented it and is still the cheapest, now done with stainless steel.

Comment

• Was looking at this the other day too there... not bad at all...

Comment

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post
          Was looking at this the other day too there... not bad at all...
          Just had a look there that is the one from boatyards... heres the link...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Volksw....m46890.l49292

Comment

• Anyone got a picture of it fitted?

Comment

• Have a look on my Blindfaith 2 thread page ten. I've had 3 off him, you'd think i was on commission. Fit one before yours breaks, i wont leave home without one.
              Last edited by S49; 26 January 2021, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Hi. Guys. I have one on mine. Easy enough to fit

Good luck

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Have a look on my Blindfaith 2 thread page ten. I've had 3 off him, you'd think i was on commission. Fit one before yours breaks, i wont leave home without one.
                  Thats it ordered... updates to soon follow.

Comment

• The standard bracket is crap. Such a simple thing to fit, works as an upgrade or a repair.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      The standard bracket is crap. Such a simple thing to fit, works as an upgrade or a repair.
                      Its an upgrade for me. Not at the repair stage ... until i fuck up the fitting of it! Lol

Comment

• I’ve already ordered this. Lol I just want to do both cylinders for Justin.

The clutch has only got about 25k on it. Admittedly they’re often hard ones. Probably 8k of them with a heavy triple axle trailer, a few k more with a digger on a plant trailer and the lot of them with my ****ish driving.

Clutch is still low down to the deck and fairly fierce so I’m thinking it may be something else related. The box is genuinely dying but still hanging in there. It whines very loudly lol I’ve got the EWB box and possibly an 02g. I just need to nurse the clutch for a bit then stick an even meatier one in maybe.

#vanlife

Comment

• I ordered a new clutch slave and master. The peddle feels a bit flappy and shite at the top so I’ll see. It could just be that the clutch that came with the SMF conversion kit just won’t handle the torque. It’s only started doing it since I’ve put frankenpump V1.4 on it. It’ll only get worse when I stick the better throttle spindle in it and create V1.5.....

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            when I stick the better throttle spindle in it and create V1.5.....
                            So what you are trying to say is," I've still not got the throttle travel I believe I needed, however my pump is transformed now I have matched the camplate and the pumphead, and the phasing is properly sorted, you were right all along Reg."

Yeah - I know you need the travel on the spill to be sorted as well, doo you believe its a combo of two issues, do you want me to measure the travel on the TDI QA, see how much it moves the spill collar?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

So what you are trying to say is," I've still not got the throttle travel I believe I needed, however my pump is transformed now I have matched the camplate and the pumphead, and the phasing is properly sorted, you were right all along Reg."

Yeah - I know you need the travel on the spill to be sorted as well, doo you believe its a combo of two issues, do you want me to measure the travel on the TDI QA, see how much it moves the spill collar?
                              The phasing was definitely clearly an issue as I eluded when I first timed it up. Cold starts aren’t the best but it wouldn’t even run below 1.2 before and even at that it plumed grey eye burning smog.

But as detailed before with the fuel setup - the travel was an extra issue. It’s no longer limited to 4K revs like before.

More pressingly though I’m now starting to seriously look into the gearbox as this is an issue that I don’t want to have me sat at the side of the road like a Tdi or T1/T2 owner.

Does anyone have any practical experience with these boxes? Are the output shafts shared across all gearbox codes? Specifically the gear to the diff? Or is this part of what gives the final drive ratio? I need to get up on boxes and fast.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

do you want me to measure the travel on the TDI QA, see how much it moves the spill collar?
                                How would you even know what this is? Would it even be measurable just my looking at the lid? The physical travel range yes but surely it’s a mapped range of movement? Isn’t this going to be less for an unmapped van and more for a wildly mapped one? In which case if you have a 200bhp mapped van could you measure it’s movement for me please? Lol

It’s hard enough measuring the manual pump collar movement as when the lever is fitted, the movement is limited to the spindle range which is also difficult but not impossible I suppose to know with the lid on? All I know is visually from structurally possible min to max, the LR pump operates the collar noticeably further in both directions.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X