No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The van started nicely this morning, slight puff of black as expected on startup and idled lovely.

A rather cracking 25 mile drive to site with mixed driving conditions - smooth sailing. Even at just 10psi it’s putting out a nice amount of torque.

Look forward to playing around with the settings some more to get the extra few psi of boost and then I’ll be away!

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

• Tommy, you fitted the 2.4d cam pully and belt kit is that correct with the 2.4d IP pulley? I'll count up the 2.5TDI & circumferences.

Just eliminating the differences between the 2.5TDI and your mTDI and Regs' phasing comments.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Tommy, you fitted the 2.4d cam pully and belt kit is that correct with the 2.4d IP pulley? I'll count up the 2.5TDI & circumferences.

Just eliminating the differences between the 2.5TDI and your mTDI and Regs' phasing comments.

I used the a 2.4 belt kit with the 2.4 pump with matching 2.4 sprocket and drilled a bit out of the taper to fit the 2.4 cam sprocket with the 2.5 retaining bolt.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• If belts and pulleys didn't match it would be mis-timed after one rev.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            If belts and pulleys didn't match it would be mis-timed after one rev.
            Isnt that what happened last weekend? Tommy set it static at 0.9 (3 roller cage) but later measured it at 2.0?

Might he be one tooth out on the pump timing?

Comment

• I must have fucked that up last weekend. I can’t understand how but I aimed for .9 and missed the mark badly. God knows how.

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

• So it ran fine this morning to work but when I left it developed a missfire. Pulled over and found it pissing out of No.2 injector union. Tried to tighten it up at the roadside and was having non of it. Thought “fuck it” and set of home to pull the rad forward and deal with it there. Annoying as I wanted to play about with the tuning instead of dealing with niggles but hey ho.

Arrived at home and pulled the rad, fuck knows why I couldn’t sort it at the roadside as it was just not quite nipped up. Must have not had the room to shift the spanner far enough. Tried it and sorted, leak gone.

Time 4 Tuning! (Down with the kids and their text speak)

My blow off valve is one of those pretty quiet ones (not one of these that you hear on Astra VXR’s and other rip speed chavtastic motors that sound like a dolphin going through a mangle). I thought I heard it discharging a few times today. So I figured the BOV would be a good place to start. The one I’ve got is adjustable up to 30psi, that’s the max it’ll hold. It has a double spring in it and an adjustment screw and lock it on top. I wound the adjustment screw down quite a few mm to preload the 1 spring I have in mine (removed the other as I didn’t want anywhere near 30psi).

Test: I pulled out the end of our street onto a fast but quiet main road. Gently went from 1st to second keeping the revs low and then stood on the gas, boost built low and fast as it does now with this turbo and within seconds the boost gauge read 17psi, the arse hit the floor, tarmac was spat everywhere while the front end desperately scrabbled for grip and I shat myself. I genuinely wasn’t expecting such a violent explosion of grunt from such a minor adjustment. I pulled up at a lay-by and turned it down a bit to aim for 14psi.

*Disclaimer: Some of the above was slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect*

Holy shitballs it’s a wild ride now. I don’t know what I was expecting but it sure as shit wasn’t that! At around 12-14 psi, the exhaust note (which is already loud) changes dramatically to a far more furious tone, I’m guessing that’s the point the vanes open and more sound manages to escape.

I don’t for a second think I’ll leave it alone for long but I do want to get to know and trust it again. I’ll probably keep the boost around 14psi but play about with the turbo and LDA to see how the drive ability changes. Not that I have any issue at all with it but just as a learning exercise.

Sent from a muppet
                Last edited by TommyP; 3 August 2020, 10:52 PM.
                #vanlife

Comment

Isnt that what happened last weekend? Tommy set it static at 0.9 (3 roller cage) but later measured it at 2.0?

Might he be one tooth out on the pump timing?
                  And every rev thereafter, it could never run unless the crank to pump pulleys have perfect 1:1 ratio

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                  Holy shitballs it’s a wild ride now. I don’t know what I was expecting but it sure as shit wasn’t that! At around 12-14 psi, the exhaust note (which is already loud) changes dramatically to a far more furious tone, I’m guessing that’s the point the vanes open and more sound manages to escape.
                  Nice one, I knew re-phasing the camplate would solve all the problems.......honest.

Comment

Nice one, I knew re-phasing the camplate would solve all the problems.......honest.
                    An educated guess we’ll call it but yes, it does run great. Thanks a bunch Reg.

When yours is done, we’ll have to organise a few of us power whores to get together for a rolling road day.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• Reg. Is there any benefit in building an mTDI with a 20mm pump shaft? Asking as these 6 pot versions are 20mm.

Comment

Reg. Is there any benefit in building an mTDI with a 20mm pump shaft? Asking as these 6 pot versions are 20mm.

Yes there is, it should have a 20mm shaft, the 17s are a bit overstressed on the four pots, probably even worse when you add an extra port and an 11mm head. But, shhhhh lets not worry Tommy and his previously bulletproof 2.4.

Comment

Yes there is, it should have a 20mm shaft, the 17s are a bit overstressed on the four pots, probably even worse when you add an extra port and an 11mm head. But, shhhhh lets not worry Tommy and his previously bulletproof 2.4.
                          Have you seen the failure consequences of a 4 pot 11mm head and 17mm shaft? Do they fail? Ive seen a few videos re shaft play on mTDI builds.

Can you pm me a price to build me a 5 pot version?
                          Thx

Comment

• Keep up the good work! Been reading with interest when I can get on here!

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Don't log out Rod. Never had a problem, touch wood since the change over but I;m on an old laptop and its remembers i'm still logged in.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Don't log out Rod. Never had a problem, touch wood since the change over but I;m on an old laptop and its remembers i'm still logged in.
                                I can vouch for not logging out. Profile number 4 I'm on i think.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X