• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cmon we are all waiting....

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      Cmon we are all waiting....
      Hold your 156 horses! It’s been a hefty day to ram into a thread so I’ll get started shortly

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• Right so the pump was great in the end but I’ll start with my fuck ups....

First off, I had to bastardise one of the bolts to get the throttle control lever out. It’s now a 12mm lol.

Then I put it back together only to hear a crack and find I hadn’t located the throttle control lever properly in the spill collar:

Luckily I have a few spare pumps so pulled the head off, checked the other components and robbed one from another and did the job properly. (Slaps face)

Then I got it all fitted into the van and forgot that shim I mentioned earlier so took it all out again and refitted the shim to the Governor flyweight assembly.

Found another of Regs tags on the pump:

The finished article:

I was seriously conflicted about timing it up. Reg said +1.00, the VW Tdi is +0.55, the Volvo Tdi is +0.80 and online the 4 pot boys and girls that run mTdi say between +1.4-1.6.

I went with +1.00 to start with as per the pump builders starting spec and it ran but was heavily retarded. Thick, putrid, white diesel smoke. I played around for hours and now it’s at +1.54 and running fucking great. Sweet as a nut like a Swiss watch. I’ll post the vid of it running at this setting shortly.....

Sent from a muppet
        Last edited by TommyP; 1 August 2020, 08:20 PM.
        #vanlife

Comment

• As promised:

https://youtu.be/kt5C5gsTHPo

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post

Stop putting yourself down. You're doing good. Keep up the struggle.
            I have to put myself down because no one else is doing it for me.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

• Round of applause. Excellent work Tommy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                Then I put it back together only to hear a crack and find I hadn’t located the throttle control lever properly in the spill collar:
                Jeez, you were lucky not to snap the pump piston - they are very hard and very brittle. It is a pig to locate that pin in the spill collar and they do like to pop out as you position the head.

I'm pretty sure that all the things you cocked up I specifically pointed out beforehand in text messages...

Which way did you go with fitting the head in the end - lowering the head onto the pump?

Well done though, I'm impressed that you gave it a go, you've learnt a lot no doubt.

I still don't understand how the AJT static times at 55 - it 'shouldn't' be any different....

I bet you were absolutely made up when it fired up and ran properly - yeah it ran before, but now its properly running.

Comment

• Edit: utter bollocks
                  Last edited by TommyP; 1 August 2020, 11:06 PM.
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Ffs. I replied but it deleted it all. C*~t.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• Edit: keyboard fart
                      Last edited by TommyP; 1 August 2020, 11:05 PM.
                      #vanlife

Comment

• I give up

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• That beer kicked in quick tommy

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• As Tommy's busy...

Comment

• Yes Reg, I did fuck up everything you specifically told me not too.

I did lower the pump onto the head the first time round but I clearly wasn’t paying enough attention as that would have been when the throttle pin decided to run away from the spill collar. I just held the camplate in and it went quite well other than the obvious. Second time round I bust the grease out and did it properly.

Yep, I’ve learned a hell of a lot but can’t help but want to know more so I’m going to pull a spare pump down entirely including the front end. It’s going to become a bit of a quest for more knowledge. More likely a pointless obsession.

AJT vs. D5252T static timing. Is the difference down to the injector sizing? The pump needing more time to build pressure for the SOI?

I was pissing around when it came to starting it. To be honest, I had pinned a lot of hope to the roller carrier being the issue but in the back of mind I had a niggling that wondered where i go next if it didn’t work. That caused me to be a bit of a poof and delay getting it going. But I’m happy with how it sounds, quite different to before, not held back etc, free revving and willing.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                                Yep, I’ve learned a hell of a lot but can’t help but want to know more so I’m going to pull a spare pump down entirely including the front end. It’s going to become a bit of a quest for more knowledge. More likely a pointless obsession.

Do it - this is exactly how I learnt, there was not much online so I blagged a spare pump and stripped it

AJT vs. D5252T static timing. Is the difference down to the injector sizing? The pump needing more time to build pressure for the SOI?

Nah. aint that. you've effectively got a matched set of injectors and pump head

I was pissing around when it came to starting it. To be honest, I had pinned a lot of hope to the roller carrier being the issue but in the back of mind I had a niggling that wondered where i go next if it didn’t work. That caused me to be a bit of a poof and delay getting it going. But I’m happy with how it sounds, quite different to before, not held back etc, free revving and willing.

I was very confident that the roller carrier was the problem, in my head it seemed to resolve all the symptoms you were having. Thank god it seems to have worked, can't wait to see the road test results when you get that turbo under load and it starts boosting and the fuel comes in proper, as long as it makes less power than mine you'll be fine.
                                Snow white and the nine dwarves

Comment

Working...
                                X