No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground, fitted, tested, tweaked and ready. Could send it to you, be much quicker and cheaper?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      I think you are getting distracted by the timing mech, it's not causing problems, but the cutting pout when pulled is odd.

Then again...just had a brainwave whilst typing.... there's the phasing of the rollers....and the fact the tdi is timed at 55....I'm thinking that the porting on the pump piston is the problem.

The pump is creating pressure but the injection window is in the wrong position, kinda like if you had the inlet cam completely wrong on a petrol.

This would explain why the top end is not there, why your static timing is balls and possibly give a reason as to why the cold start kills the motor.

Pull the pump, fit the 2.4, wind the fuel up, time it around 1.1 and send the franken pump back.

I'll fit the TDI roller cage (once I've ground a slot in it) and we can try again.
      I don't have a diagram of the 2.4d to hand but how does a 3 roller 'phase' pump a 5 phased TDI camplate if you haven't fitted the 5 roller holder fitted? Just trying to understand your Franken pump!

Any pics or is it "CheeseTowers Confidential"?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Last edited by Activ8; 29 July 2020, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

I don't have a diagram of the 2.4d to hand but how does a 3 roller 'phase' pump a 5 phased TDI camplate if you haven't fitted the 5 roller holder fitted? Just trying to understand your Franken pump!

Any pics or is it "CheeseTowers Confidential"?

It doesn’t pump well, I speak from experience. Lol.

I’m trying to fully understand the issue. It’s very interesting. I’m guessing the rollers are in slightly different positions between the 2.4 and 2.5?

Sent from a muppet
        Last edited by Activ8; 29 July 2020, 08:22 PM.
        #vanlife

Comment

• Five bumps on the cam produce five plunges and phases every rotation or one every 72°..... how do you do that with three bumps assuming theyre equidistant at 120°..... so it phases successfully once at 0° then 360, 720 etc. So would that over pressurize the pump and mistime the dynamic adjustment? So fuel is only getting through every full rotation or only 20% of the time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Five bumps on the cam produce five plunges and phases every rotation or one every 72°..... how do you do that with three bumps assuming theyre equidistant at 120°..... so it phases successfully once at 0° then 360, 720 etc. So would that over pressurize the pump and mistime the dynamic adjustment? So fuel is only getting through every full rotation or only 20% of the time?

Nope, it’s not 3 equally spaced rollers, they are set so the camplate still bumps 5 times for each full pump rotation.

Reg can undoubtably explain better.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

• Yeh I got it. Cheers Tommy. Thanks for the WhatsApp pics and info bud. Top fella.

Comment

• The roller assembly is on its way to you first class, with (eventually) the socket that I forgot and left on the bench whilst I sellotaped the parcel shut.

Set up to achieve far more timing adjustment than any setup could actually manage, you can't run all five rollers, four will have to do the same job, but they will be doing less work than the three roller setup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200729_155911[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.6 KB ID:	306598

Activ - imagine the camplate with it's five lobes - if you have one roller it still goes up and down five times in a revolution. Assuming the rollers are spaced correctly (multiples of 72 degrees) you can have up to five rollers.

In the pic above you have a rollers at 72, 144, 216, 288 - the one at 0 cant be fitted because the cage has been ground to allow clearance for the governor weight mechanism. Roller cage is in full advance position.

Tommy, you'll have to remove the throttle plate and you'll have to remove the governor mech - note I've ground a slot in the pin and the locknut so you can refit it in the same position.

Nearly withdrawn the pin whilst holding the weights assembly with the weights together, it'll stay together as one assembly and you can lift it out intact.
                Last edited by regcheeseman; 29 July 2020, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Cheers Reg. Lovely job.

Comment

• Lets hope it works....I'm confident Tommy is going to see a marked improvement.

Set timing back to 1.0 tommy and if you get stuck on the rebuild, call me and I'll guide you in.

Comment

• Brilliant stuff Reg. I’m sure it’ll swap over pretty easy. Thanks for the info too. I’ll get on it tonight and see how far I get. Pump is still on the van.....

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Pics please Tommy!

Comment

• The cheeseedition frankenpump:

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Lid off:

The camplate is just viewable down in the belly of the beast:

You can’t yet see the rollers but here’s the camplate in action pumping furiously into the tight hole:

https://youtu.be/bg1rDNaU8UI

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Pump head off and now we can see the cause of my issues!:

The throttle control lever is at the top of this pic and the advance rod is at the bottom, partially contained within the roller cage/housing.

Note that using the advance rod as a dayum, you can now compare this to Regs vid (screenshotted):

So my camplate still rides up and down 5 times but as reg says, it’s the positioning (phasing) of the rollers themselves that is out.

I understand that with this being out, I’ve timed up to get it to run and what’s left of the little delivery ports or holes in the pump head is too little too late to run properly at much over 2k revs.

I don’t claim to fully understand so I probably shouldn’t be trying to explain it.

As always, regard everything I say to be utter bollocks. Wait a while and the people that know will be along shortly.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• It’s very interesting even though I don’t understand it.

Comment

Working...
                                X