No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today’s Tdi stuff has been total and complete disaster. I’ll let you into a little personal secret, I’ve always had ADHD since I was young and heavily medicated through school as of it’s not a subject I’m interested in, I just physically cannot do it no matter how hard I try. Not like most kids these days that parents need to slap a label on them to give them an excuse for crap or non existing parenting and discipline but an actual problem for me sometimes. Rare but still happens. I usually get around this by never doing stuff I don’t like but wiring and electrics for me = fucking nightmare.

1, I’ve got about 738 connectors that don’t go anywhere. (Reg assured me this is normal)
    2, The wanky only 2.4 pedalbox won’t take the accelerator so I need to modify it change it.
    3, All the existing engine sensors don’t connect to the new loom
    4, The coolant hard pipe terminates at the back precisely over where the gear linkage sits
    5, The gear linkage doesn’t connect as it sits funny
    6, There’s no wiring on the loom for an alternator so it looks like I won’t be running one of those.
    7, the OBD needs another loom as mine is useless
    8, the brake light switch doesn’t connect to the new loom
    9, the Volvo pump has a different connector that’s 7 pin and I would need to bodge/splice some wiring to get it to work. Binning the Volvo pump for a vw one.
    10, the coolant sensors don’t fit the loom
    11, the oil pressure switches don’t fit the loom
    12, It’s a right steaming heap of shit.

There are loads of other things that turned to shit but thankfully I can’t remember them.

Here’s a few highlights from today’s clusterfuck:

I made my first error by starting with the looms (engine, cluster, pedal) which is wrong for me being the way I am as I started the day by losing. This give me the arse straight away so I lost my shit with it. All the things listed above are easy(ish) to sort out but my head was gone and I just wanted to vomit all over the fuse box.

I fucking hate wiring. Although, I am still thoroughly committed to taking the step backwards to fit the ECU. I’ve been away from it for a few hours now so my head is clear, parts are about to be ordered and I have a plan of attack. Sort of.

I may have duplicated some of the above list for dramatic effect. Deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Last edited by TommyP; 14 November 2021, 07:34 PM.
    #vanlife

Comment

• I can’t help though wish I could …. That spaghetti being held by the Wookiee hairy hand looks awesome!! :-)

Comment

• Fuck me, this surely can't get any better than this, please stop it, my ribs are aching, no more. TP, no more please! ;-)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

• Easily sorted Tp , but frustrating as your like me and when I get stuck into a job I like to finish it on the day or over a weekend .

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            Fuck me, this surely can't get any better than this, please stop it, my ribs are aching, no more. TP, no more please! ;-)

FML. I am not the right man for this particular job!

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
              I can’t help though wish I could …. That spaghetti being held by the Wookiee hairy hand looks awesome!! :-)
              Hahaha! It’s strange the things you notice Carlo. I’m like it head to toe. I look like an aging Greek uncle.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                Easily sorted Tp , but frustrating as your like me and when I get stuck into a job I like to finish it on the day or over a weekend .
                I nearly did finish it off today with 3 gallons of E10 and a pack of Cooke’s.

#vanlife

Comment

• Well I did say "pheonix" drive! ;-)

Comment

• Had an early day today so got a couple hours on the van to get ahead for the weekend.

90% of the loom is either connected or I know where it is supposed to go. Oil pressure switch swapped but have the wrong lower coolant temp switch so I’ll get that swapped at the factors.

Had to swap the pedal box for one that would take the fly by wire accelerator pedal and now it’s in:

The gear linkage needs bastardising as the 02g’s shifter turret thingy or whatever it’s called is 2-3 inches further back than the cheese cast 02b’s so my linkage is too long. Angle grinder and welder will come out on Saturday for that.

I connected up the engine loom
                    To the battery and changed a load of bits and plugged stuff in. I’ve got an earlier brake pedal switch but I’ve got spare looms everywhere so I’ll cut the plugs off and swap them so my old one and numerous spares with fit. I think I’ll bastardise my current OBD plug/loom to connect up to the new loom so I can try to diagnose why it inevitably won’t start.

My MAF and MAP sensors won’t be here in time so Rob is lending me some to get it going when he drops the starter mapped ECU off on Sunday.

Did another little win of a job too, got the clocks in:

#vanlife

Comment

• Wait until it’s running TP , it will be like night and day compared to the mtdi
                      Last edited by Fruitbat; 19 November 2021, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Tommy. Are you running the 2.5 tdi pump

Comment

• Originally posted by Fruitbat View Post
                          Wait until it’s running TP , it will be like night and day compared to the mtdi
                          I’m sure it will be different, the mTdi made epic torque on the latest pump and turbo but didn’t Rev clean past approx 4K. It always started etc etc and never went into limp.

Another project I don’t know why I’m doing. Being chronically impulsive is a ballache sometimes.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                            Tommy. Are you running the 2.5 tdi pump
                            Yes, I’ve sold the mTdi one and clawed back more than I thought I would.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

I’m sure it will be different, the mTdi made epic torque on the latest pump and turbo but didn’t Rev clean past approx 4K. It always started etc etc and never went into limp.

Another project I don’t know why I’m doing. Being chronically impulsive is a ballache sometimes.

I’ve nearly had my van 4 years and is never gone into limp mode , plenty of other issues though hahaha

Comment

• Tommy. What happened to your no ecu. Claim. Sometimes you have to go with whatever is going to work for you. Like others that use all manner of things in their vans. Hope you will be happy with it. That engine. Been out too many times

Comment

Working...
                                X