The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    You'll be getting friendly with Al Shurety at some point then...great bloke, knows his VRTs

Question is, what is that carrying the VR?
    Not heard of AI Shurety? I’ll take a look. Most info on these has been found on R32oc, Vortex and ukmkiv’s. Plenty of info out there, the usual subjective bollocks too.

My mates shitty Vivaro. He bought a 4mo with fucked engine and couldn’t find one with the right code (later BDE wideband engine like a BAM or R32) so I gave him my spare engine which he has now replaced.

I’ve got quite a bit of V6 4mo stuff lying around now. I could probably build a whole car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• This is the difference between the throttle spindles:

You can just about see the difference in throw/pivot between the 2. This should now finally give me a full range of movement and compliment the LR fulcrum/throttle lever.

#vanlife

Comment

• You could put that VR in Andreas's 2.4

Comment

• Looks like your coming round to petrol............................you'll have one in a van yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            You could put that VR in Andreas's 2.4
            I could but I don’t think he’s ready for it. Lol

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Looks like your coming round to petrol............................you'll have one in a van yet.
              Definitely not, I like vans to have grunt not a petrol to have to cane its tits off to get it moving lol

I’ll be keeping the filthy diesels in the vans.

The 20vt is intriguing though.

Last edited by TommyP; 22 February 2021, 08:18 AM.
              #vanlife

Comment

• Yeh, chuck it in the back. Makes a 4×4 with 408 bhp ;-)

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Definitely not, I like vans to have grunt not a petrol to have to cane its tits off to get it moving lol

The 20vt is intriguing though.

Have you seen the latest installment of SpeedingTubes 1.8 20vt? Lesson in it for us all....
                  https://youtu.be/gU-fxACBSBo
                  Last edited by Activ8; 22 February 2021, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Have you seen the latest installment of SpeedingTubes 1.8 20vt? Lesson in it for us all....
                    Yeah, really unfortunate, given the investment he has put into latest build

Comment

Theyre only filthy "now" because the marketing messages have changed. If we could only just collect the fumes and burn them at a later date - say 2050 - we'd all be hailing them as eco friendly! Lol ;-)

Comment

• Couple of minor teething issues.
                        Thermo leak mentioned before
                        O/S/F brake binding causing a rancid shudder when it gets hot.
                        Clutch grinding at the floor.

Brake is barely binding so I’ll whip it off and free it up with a bit of plusgas and work the piston in and out. That’ll be a short term fix for now.

The clutch is interesting. I put it down to it being for a Corrado VR6 but I spoke to a good mate of mine tonight who builds custom and classic cars and he reckons I should get a few washers between the clutch slave and the gearbox to space it out a bit. My slave is holding the clutch a tad I reckon as the pin contacts the release fork with the slave being 6mm or more away from being tightened onto the gearbox. I’m no expert but my mate reckoned that didn’t sound right.

Power is low for now but I’ll knock it back up soon. The gearbox itself is silky smooth, I can believe it’s been recently rebuilt as it changes gear so cleanly and precise and the action is very positive. It’s a real shame it’ll self destruct so quickly and meet its demise.

The gap between 4th and 5th is enormous haha not undriveable but feels like block shifting from 4th to 6th in my golf lol it’ll be great to cruise along the motorway when I’ve sorted a few bits like the power and brakes so I can thunder along without setting fire to the drivers side front wheel. The bloke said it was a .62 5th. The rest of the box is a short ratio shitty 1.9/2.4 gearbox code.

#vanlife

Comment

• Got a diesel leak again. No.1 as always and the pump now from somewhere. Spindle is fine so I may not have tightened the lid down enough. It’s not horrific so I nipped the injector and I’ll do the same with the pump in the next few days. Got the new thermometer to go in tomorrow and space the slave cylinder to try and stop the grinding.

I couldn’t help myself....... I ramped the power back up a fair bit. It revs until the rollers skip lol the clutch is holding the torque so far. I’ve set the top screw on the LDA so that it doesn’t fuel quite so low which feels shite compared to before but it’s still pretty damn good. I give it 48 hours tops until I flick it back to gearbox demolition mode. Gotta be honest, I think this is it now for the pump, it feels fantastic. We may have truly cracked it.

Thankfully the brake hasn’t been binding much today, just a tad first thing and now it’s as free as a bird so I got the speed up to see what the new uber tall 5th (compared to the rest of the box) was like. It’s brilliant, sitting at 85 is like the old box at 65 and now that theres a more grunt back, the jump from 4th doesn’t seem so bad. It’s lovely to drive. Sound deadening and carpeting the cab was a great move too, it’s a cracking place to be.

#vanlife

Comment

Got a diesel leak again. No.1 as always and the pump now from somewhere. Spindle is fine so I may not have tightened the lid down enough. It’s not horrific so I nipped the injector and I’ll do the same with the pump in the next few days. Got the new thermometer to go in tomorrow and space the slave cylinder to try and stop the grinding.

I couldn’t help myself....... I ramped the power back up a fair bit. It revs until the rollers skip lol the clutch is holding the torque so far. I’ve set the top screw on the LDA so that it doesn’t fuel quite so low which feels shite compared to before but it’s still pretty damn good. I give it 48 hours tops until I flick it back to gearbox demolition mode. Gotta be honest, I think this is it now for the pump, it feels fantastic. We may have truly cracked it.

Thankfully the brake hasn’t been binding much today, just a tad first thing and now it’s as free as a bird so I got the speed up to see what the new uber tall 5th (compared to the rest of the box) was like. It’s brilliant, sitting at 85 is like the old box at 65 and now that theres a more grunt back, the jump from 4th doesn’t seem so bad. It’s lovely to drive. Sound deadening and carpeting the cab was a great move too, it’s a cracking place to be.

Sounds like its all starting to click into place. Nice one! Hard work starting to pay off.

Comment

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post

Sounds like its all starting to click into place. Nice one! Hard work starting to pay off.
                              No it won’t, it’ll all go tits again soon and normal service will resume.

#vanlife

Comment

• Tried the standard T4 wheels centre trims on it, didn’t fit? Wtf? I’ve got the standard T4 bolts on it.

Got back late anyway so just washed it in the dark lol

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X