No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway, back to today, I pulled the new frankenpump V2 off yesterday and along with old frankenpump V1.3, I built and almost fitted franken pump V1.4.

It was very quickly obvious that the donor 6 pot pump is not a viable option for a base to start from. It could have actually been catastrophic if it would have started but because of the drama inside, I couldn’t have started if it wanted to. I took the head off and found this: it’s a pin that seats the rollers in the carrier. It’s not supposed to be there...... ignore the dirt. The new pump was built clean. Basically the housing has an opening for the original spec cold start advance rather than low down like the T4’s. I completely overlooked this when I built it so it had room to fall out and the roller was moving around and providing its own extra and random areas of pump lift. Total schoolboy error but a good learning curve.

So I built V1.4 with the following:

2.4d base pump housing
    2.4d 17mm shaft, pulley and vane pump
    2.4d governor flyweight assembly
    2.4d advance piston and cold start advance
    Volvo 2.5 Tdi D5252T:
    11mm pump head
    Camplate
    Modified roller carrier to accept flyweight gear and central area to allow for IDI pump dimensions to allow full 2.49mm lift (issue with V1.0 (4 rollers used)
    Pressure relief valve
    Dynamic advance spring, cap and shims
    Vauxhall frontera 2.3td LDA lid
    Modified Land Rover 300 Tdi Fulcrum lever to allow for more travel required in a DI

I think that’s it all pretty much covered in terms of parts used. I’ve fitted the pump to the van but lost light. I was rushing (I’d reindexed the throttle lever with the LDA lid on so had to do it again) so thought I’d timed it up to +1.20 but I hadn’t checked the cold start lever which was out so the timing will be around +1.00. No worry though as I could just about get it to run at that before and I can adjust it back up to as far as the old +1.54 on the slots so I should be on the home stretch now. Just need to prime and bleed it and it’s a first attempt at a fire of frankenpump V1.4!
    #vanlife

Comment

• Anyway, back to today, I pulled the new frankenpump V2 off yesterday and along with old frankenpump V1.3, I built and almost fitted franken pump V1.4.

It was very quickly obvious that the donor 6 pot pump is not a viable option for a base to start from. It could have actually been catastrophic if it would have started but because of the drama inside, I couldn’t have started if it wanted to. I took the head off and found this: it’s a pin that seats the rollers in the carrier. It’s not supposed to be there...... ignore the dirt. The new pump was built clean. Basically the housing has an opening for the original spec cold start advance rather than low down like the T4’s. I completely overlooked this when I built it so it had room to fall out and the roller was moving around and providing its own extra and random areas of pump lift. Total schoolboy error but a good learning curve.

So I built V1.4 with the following:

2.4d base pump housing
      2.4d 17mm shaft, pulley and vane pump
      2.4d governor flyweight assembly
      2.4d advance piston and cold start advance
      Volvo 2.5 Tdi D5252T:
      11mm pump head
      Camplate
      Modified roller carrier to accept flyweight gear and central area to allow for IDI pump dimensions to allow full 2.49mm lift (issue with V1.0 (4 rollers used)
      Pressure relief valve
      Dynamic advance spring, cap and shims
      Vauxhall frontera 2.3td LDA lid
      Modified Land Rover 300 Tdi Fulcrum lever to allow for more travel required in a DI

I think that’s it all pretty much covered in terms of parts used. I’ve fitted the pump to the van but lost light. I was rushing (I’d reindexed the throttle lever with the LDA lid on so had to do it again) so thought I’d timed it up to +1.20 but I hadn’t checked the cold start lever which was out so the timing will be around +1.00. No worry though as I could just about get it to run at that before and I can adjust it back up to as far as the old +1.54 on the slots so I should be on the home stretch now. Just need to prime and bleed it and it’s a first attempt at a fire of frankenpump V1.4!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      #vanlife

Comment

• I'm saying nowt....good learning exercise for you; be keen to know FP1.4 goes....

I was rushing (I’d reindexed the throttle lever with the LDA lid on so had to do it again) so thought I’d timed it up to +1.20 but I hadn’t checked the cold start lever which was out so the timing will be around +1.00.
        Yep, done both of them, more than once.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          I'm saying nowt...
          If you were sure the IP / the housing / combination of parts used were going to fail or you had some valid observations why didn't you simply let Tommy know? Of course you may of privately. It might of been catastrophic for the pump components...

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

If you were sure the IP / the housing / combination of parts used were going to fail or you had some valid observations why didn't you simply let Tommy know? Of course you may of privately. It might of been catastrophic for the pump components...
            I believe he did, more than once.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

Yeah, wish I had mentioned it now.... TBH I didn't foresee the potential for the roller pin to escape, my crystal balls need a polish.

Comment

• Well it’s a goer and she’s a savage bitch!

Initially I’d timed it up 180 degrees out as I was rushing last night against the failing light.

It’s over fueling at the minute as I need the LR spindle with extra throw/pivot to make the most of getting the fuel down but it’s crazy how much fuel this flows now. I can have a nice idle and also fill a dual carriageway with thick black smog and all in the same pump! Couldn’t do that before. Woooooooo!!!!

I’ve not properly nailed it yet but it lights up the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the damp in a straight line. Brutal torque but heavy so easier than light vans to burnout lol. If this gearbox lasts this year I’ll be amazed. Need to get the EWB box ready really. It’ll also rev to oblivion now which is nice.

Also, and rather interestingly, the static timing is not the same as before. I guessed it quickly when I sorted it being 180 out and it was +0.55 which as we know, especially Arf, is the Volvo and Vw Tdi spec. Would you believe it almost ran! As a comparison, it was similar to FPV2 when timed to +1.2. Pretty much just about ran but with loads of grey retard smoke. I figured I would advance it as much as possible on the slots and it ended up at roughly +1.05 so I gave it a go. Runs great, I’ll have to see how cold starts are before settling as I may be able to knock it back a touch if it needs it but I’m not worrying too much as it’s at least back on the road.

#vanlife

Comment

• In summary, don’t mix and match Volvo and Vw pump heads and camplates!

#vanlife

Comment

• Pleased for ya mate.

Comment

• Well done mate

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                        Well it’s a goer and she’s a savage bitch!

Initially I’d timed it up 180 degrees out as I was rushing last night against the failing light.

It’s over fueling at the minute as I need the LR spindle with extra throw/pivot to make the most of getting the fuel down but it’s crazy how much fuel this flows now. I can have a nice idle and also fill a dual carriageway with thick black smog and all in the same pump! Couldn’t do that before. Woooooooo!!!!

I’ve not properly nailed it yet but it lights up the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the damp in a straight line. Brutal torque but heavy so easier than light vans to burnout lol. If this gearbox lasts this year I’ll be amazed. Need to get the EWB box ready really. It’ll also rev to oblivion now which is nice.

Also, and rather interestingly, the static timing is not the same as before. I guessed it quickly when I sorted it being 180 out and it was +0.55 which as we know, especially Arf, is the Volvo and Vw Tdi spec. Would you believe it almost ran! As a comparison, it was similar to FPV2 when timed to +1.2. Pretty much just about ran but with loads of grey retard smoke. I figured I would advance it as much as possible on the slots and it ended up at roughly +1.05 so I gave it a go. Runs great, I’ll have to see how cold starts are before settling as I may be able to knock it back a touch if it needs it but I’m not worrying too much as it’s at least back on the road.

Great stuff! Is this on the landy throttle plate?

180 degrees out as well -that's a hattrick!

savage....crazy...,brutal.....
                        I remember similar statements about the first pump build....what did that make on the rollers again?

what pumphead? still on the volvo or back to vw?

Comment

I remember similar statements about the first pump build....what did that make on the rollers again?

Yeah , hahah what was it 100 and something bhp , these 2.4 boys haha haha

Comment

• Good stuff, chuffed for ya buddy! Good work.

Comment

Great stuff! Is this on the landy throttle plate?

180 degrees out as well -that's a hattrick!

Not sure on bhp, probably 119 now so improved by one. The gearbox fools me into thinking it’s better than it is lol. The torque is very noticeably greater. It’s not set up properly yet though.

Yes, the LR throttle plate is in it and as per the build list further back, it’s the Volvo, head and camplate now. I took the VW camplate out. They are 2 different part numbers so they must have different loves and/or love positions. Both lift the same but clearly the piston and cam differed too and affected timing a tad. Cold start earlier wasn’t too bad either. No advance and fired straight away, just a smidge lumpy for a few seconds.

I’m going to get a LR throttle spindle/shaft too as it’s longer between the pivot points so that’ll be better suited to the LR throttle plate. This is why I haven’t bothered withsetting it up yet as it’ll change no doubt.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                                I’m going to get a LR throttle spindle/shaft too as it’s longer between the pivot points so that’ll be better suited to the LR throttle plate. This is why I haven’t bothered withsetting it up yet as it’ll change no doubt.
                                Whatsapp me tomorrow and remind me to have a look see if I have one...

so they must have different loves and/or love positions.

ha ha autocorrect fail.

Comment

Working...
                                X