The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    "Win the day" - I think you're well past 24 hours now bud! The Year might be a better singular time frame to use?

Joking aside I am loving this .... (as you well know) cannot stop thinking about v10tdi with twin VE pumps and smoke.... oooh lots of smoke???

Got my EDC16 ECU ready for common rail conversion but should I bin the ECU control? Don't answer that!
    Nah it’s much less than 24 hours on pump shizzle.

No smoke, it kills VGT’s.

Absolutely, forget all that binary code shit and just tweak with a screwdriver. Everyman performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Nah it’s much less than 24 hours on pump shizzle.

No smoke, it kills VGT’s.

Absolutely, forget all that binary code shit and just tweak with a screwdriver. Everyman performance.

Bollox, you spend two hours a night talking dirty ...... diesels to me! lol
      Oh yeh, 112bhp pretty much describes your "everyman performance"!
      Thats running on three cylinders with the 'lecky crew!

Comment

• Never spotted that the 2.4 lever plate was so shit - should have guessed as it was from a 2.4.

That 'Land rover' throttle plate is standard on practically every 1.9 TD pump, I've loads here...the landy 'mtdi' pump is nothing special, in fact it's a piss weak pump that is set up pretty lame as standard, they respond well to a gov mod.

Edit:

Just gone out to check, I've no twin fulcrum throttle plates - plenty of singles, I've never had a pump that couldn't deliver enough fuel on the max fuel screw, not convinced it is your issue, given the smoke, especially considering the power you aren't making.

Word of warning, throttle plates are VERY hard and brittle, you may struggle cutting them but they can be ground.

Last edited by regcheeseman; 20 December 2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          Never spotted that the 2.4 lever plate was so shit - should have guessed as it was from a 2.4.

That 'Land rover' throttle plate is standard on practically every 1.9 TD pump, I've loads here...the landy 'mtdi' pump is nothing special, in fact it's a piss weak pump that is set up pretty lame as standard, they respond well to a gov mod.
          Can I buy a couple from you Reg ?

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            Never spotted that the 2.4 lever plate was so shit - should have guessed as it was from a 2.4.

Edit:

Just gone out to check, I've no twin fulcrum throttle plates - plenty of singles, I've never had a pump that couldn't deliver enough fuel on the max fuel screw, not convinced it is your issue, given the smoke, especially considering the power you aren't making.

Word of warning, throttle plates are VERY hard and brittle, you may struggle cutting them but they can be ground.

Yep, they are shit! The difference is pretty substantial I’d say. This travel makes my max fuel screw being wound right out now make sense.

I built it all up today with the LR lever and it all feels good but the gov spring is now angled with the mounting hole being on the other side. I’m not 100% happy with that so I tried to drill it over to where it would be on the 2.4. I can confirm that they are as hard as fuck. I took advice from Kev on how to do it so I’ll try tomorrow. I didn’t have my cobalt drills on me as I was in the car to where the pump work is happening.

I think it would make a huge difference on performance, surely? The collar isn’t able to move all the way back to idle so to get a reasonable idle the max fuel screw is wound really far out. So far out in fact that if I wind it out another 1/2 then I can floor the throttle and the engine stays at idle. At the other end of my shaft (for Arf), at full throttle, the collar isn’t going far enough on an already ‘weak’ max fuel setting. How can the short lever throw not be a huge restriction? The spill collar doesn’t move far as it is and to be even less is massive.

This is not the only issue obviously, timing is a tad advanced but then again, is it? I’m set at +1.54 and the Land Rover 300tdi is factory set at..........+1.54! The LR tuning lads say that +1.6 is optimal. Could just be a mech pump DI thing? Fuck knows but I’ll have the complete Tdi setup so I’ll know when I try and get it to run at +0.75 if it even will. I can’t get it to start at all under +1.00 on my current pump.

Other issue to be resolved is potential low internal pump pressures for the PRV and shit advance curve which is down to the dynamic advance. Both are dealt with on this new pump.

Reg, you say you’ve not had a pump that couldn’t deliver and I don’t for one second doubt that but you haven’t done a 5 pot mTdi pump before. Even the big wankers in the industry like Giles (who quoted me $2000 for this pump with me providing the donors) all told me it’s a nightmare and very difficult (to get my money out of me). DieselBob didn’t know his arse from his elbow and I’m 100% convinced he doesn’t even build his own pumps from talking to him. Either that or he did a terrible job of keeping his cards held close as he just sounded inept. He had no clue what I was on about when I asked about the issues me and you had to overcome to get it this far and I think we’ve done a great job. 118 bhp and 180lbsft on a prototype pump with virtually fuck all available info? We’re hero’s.

Now bin that silly fucking Tdi and join the dark side. It’s time to stop pissing around. Haha

#vanlife

Comment

• Yeah, I don't think it is fuel, your pump should be able to deliver more than 118 brake worth of fuel, I've had 140 from a 10 mm pump and you were running 11mm.

It is hitting a wall of fuel/power issues either because the port timing on the head wont deliver it, or the injector timing wont burn it.

Throttle plate is good though, a bit more advance might be good, 1.54 is a lot though, the landy injectors may run different break pressures this would mean timing comparisons are direct comparisons.

Yep, not done five pot pumps and stopped doing mTDis years ago when it became the accepted knowledge that they were piss poor running, smoky piles of compromise.

2000 for a pump from giles is cheap, he must have dropped his prices to coincide with reality.
              Last edited by regcheeseman; 21 December 2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Right, a bit to catch up on. Mainly as it’s been a while not that I’ve done much.

The gearbox has developed a rather loud whine/howl at 45 and 65mph. I need to think about pulling my finger out with the EWB gearbox I picked up but first, I’ll check the oil level. I did the gearbox oil about 15 months and 40k miles ago and I don’t think it leaks so I can’t imagine it’ll be that but that is a long time so hopefully it is. Changes the same as it always has.

I finally managed to drill the Land Rover pump fulcrum/throttle control lever: I bought I little pillar drill and on Kev’s recommendation, multi purpose masonry drill bits. They’ve got a tungsten carbide tip (TCT) that means they’ll go through hardened steel. Nothing else would touch it. Just need to grind a slot in it and then a few mins to fit it and build the pump up then it’s ready to fit!! Thank fuck for that!

Whilst the bonnet is open I’ll pull the rocker cover off and then shorten the spacers so the bolts pull it down a bit better as it still absolutely pisses oil out.

#vanlife

Comment

• Unrelated but for Xmas I got the other half some tailgate louvres for his motor as he’s always wanted them and kept wittering on about them for years so to save my ears and because he’s a good egg, I took the plunge. Fucking expensive but I think they look great:

He’s properly over the moon. It’s not often I’m allowed to drive it because I “thrash the fuck out of everything” but when I do get the chance, I love it. It’s an astounding fun little thing to drive and attracts an insane amount of attention. No.1 comments being “oh my god look, it’s the car from back to the future” uncultured fuckpigs.

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh my god.. look... its a Sirocco!? Lol

Comment

• Oh my god where are the tyre valves?

Comment

• Those take me back. Did they sneak the "mark one Corrado" out in the late 70's? Must have cause they suit it.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Oh my god where are the tyre valves?
                          They contactless inflating tyres lol

On the inside......

#vanlife

Comment

• Yep, at Action i looked and looked and looked but you had to point it out.

Comment

• Ive always wondered what these are like, never seen one up close. Id love something like that but there very rare breed indeed.

Comment

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post
                                Ive always wondered what these are like, never seen one up close. Id love something like that but there very rare breed indeed.
                                There’s always a few for sale and they’re worth absolutely fuck all. I got it for him for his birthday a few years ago as he loves them. It was about £600 iirc and only needed a carb gasket and tune up. Had loads of work done to it as the previous owner was a VeeDub nut. He had loads of them, vans, golfs, passats etc

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X