The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post

They wheels look awesome on that! Belter of a work van by the way...

Absolute Belter!!! Well Done mate, good choice. How much did it cost to get them banded? Im trying to hunt a set of steelies to do the same for winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    It was about £270 to have them banded and sent back to me which was cheaper than quoted so maybe don’t expect that. The quality of the band was fantastic and they barely needed any weights on balancing. Really impressed.

They were blasted and then welded up. The rest is up to you. He doesn’t paint. Worth an ask if he knows any one though if you don’t want to paint yourself. I didn’t ask as I wanted to paint myself.

I spoke to all the big names in the scene for banding. Although the firm I used isn’t specific to the scene, they impressed me the most over the phone. Steve Usher was a really nice chap and just about as far from a salesman as you can get. Basically an engineer that has to pick up the phone. Once you start talking about the process and his craft though he opens up and really inspires confidence: http://www.usherengineering.co.uk

I would recommend using him.

Thanks for the compliment btw. I don’t get hung up on approval/disapproval from others but it’s nice to hear anyway in the case as I’m so chuffed with it. It’s a heap of shit really but it’s MY heap of shit and I’m absolutely besotted with it. I consider myself very lucky to cover hundreds and hundreds of miles a week in it. Occasionally thousands. Lol

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Skiddy View Post
      That looks great, you can't beat a standard looking work van, especially a white one!
      Cheers Skiddy. White is as boring as fuck but it kinda feels right for this van so I’m happy.

#vanlife

Comment

• Oh and by the way, my sidelights are bright white LED’s, not sure why the camera makes them look blue. Looks shite in blue.

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
          Oh and by the way, my sidelights are bright white LED’s, not sure why the camera makes them look blue. Looks shite in blue.

The camera will be reading tungsten. (3.2k degrees kelvin), which means it over exaggerattes the colour coming from your headlights (probably 5.6 K degrees which is daylight) making them look blue.

More useless information from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
            Oh and by the way, my sidelights are bright white LED’s, not sure why the camera makes them look blue. Looks shite in blue.

The camera will be reading tungsten. (3.2k degrees kelvin), which means it over exaggerattes the colour coming from your headlights (probably 5.6 K degrees which is daylight) making them look blue.

More useless information from me.

Hence why my van looks nardo-grey... when actually its green.

Comment

V good.

Tommy - needs centre caps - looking good though.

Damian Force makes some blinding wheels

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	313676
              Last edited by regcheeseman; 6 November 2020, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• Tommy - Whats the off-set + J on your wheels?

Reg - Those wheels are pretty fucking awesome.

... gets me thinking (dangerous yip)... what is the limits and boundaries (off-set, size and J included) when it comes to keeping it looking cool but keeping it safe within guidelines/dimensions of our vans??

Comment

• Tommy - Whats the off-set + J on your wheels?

... gets me thinking (dangerous yip)... what is the limits and boundaries (off-set, size and J included) when it comes to keeping it looking cool but keeping it safe within guidelines/dimensions of our vans??

Comment

Tommy's 8 and 8.5 combo is spot on

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Tommy's 8 and 8.5 combo is spot on
                      8.5 combo Rear?

Comment

Now then, this reminds me.......grey van that looks green. Where have i heard that before?
                        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder.

Comment

• I have to said it looks good on those Tommy mate. I'd thought of selling the ones which arrived with the doka but think that would be daft looking at yours.I have two standard and two banded, not sure how wide and I know f all about it. When folk start talking wheel widths and offset and poke(oohh eer misses) I come over all glazed like Bart Simpson or my younger self after 5 minutes in the class room.This thread will shame me into getting are white one back together and up to scratch.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

V good.

Tommy - needs centre caps - looking good though.

Damian Force makes some blinding wheels

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	313676
                              Yeah it does. I’m leaning more towards Caddy caps rather than the big ones.

Yep, I spoke to him.

#vanlife

Comment

Tommy - Whats the off-set + J on your wheels?

Yep, as Reg said:

Front: 8J ET38 205/50R17
                                Rear: 8.5J ET31 215/50R17

The original wheels were 6.5J ET50 - I did my own maths on the offset so feel free to double check lol.

The sliding door just lightly kisses the tyre when it’s opened all the way back. When I sort the new door I’ll swap the rubber adjuster from the door to the van body and get a couple of washers to space the rear of the door out a tad on the roller arm. The door doesn’t touch the rim itself though so no rush.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X