No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick vid of the nozzle/vane operation when it’s apart for anyone that cares:

https://youtu.be/E2WaPi6x8MY

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

• Hastily patched up a hole I’ve been struggling to get round to:

I only had 0.9mm steel so that had to do.

I pissed around with the diesel pump and I’ve got it to the very lowest it’ll go without not being able to rev. Smoke reduced considerably but I’ve not got a bit of turbo lag. Could be one of a few things. The turbo is leaking exhaust, I may have a bodge to sort it. The vanes May be slightly too far open in the non boost “resting” position or something I don’t know about lol

It sound exactly like a boost leak. It will boost up to 15-16psi but its slow and progressive, almost as shit as a K14.

Can’t be fuel as I still get a whiff of black smoke when I stand on the gas so I’m guessing it isn’t that but it could be lol. The max fuel screw and settling idle is a quick job so I’ll try that first.

I did the dash with the highly expensive tooth paste tube of Wurth dye and I finally swapped the crusty old drivers side wing for the newly painted one. The passengers side was a bitch but this one just fell into place. There’s a bit of surface rust on the inner but it’s not bad enough for me to worry about until next summer.

Only the rust around the windscreen to be done and then it’ll look pretty mint for an old wrecker.

Sent from a muppet
      Last edited by TommyP; 19 October 2020, 12:21 AM.
      #vanlife

Comment

• On the way back from work it dawned on me that as the turbo is slow to boost up but when it gets to about 6psi or so, it starts building the boost quite rapidly. This makes me think I have the fuel set a bit too low as when I get some boost the LDA is adding more fuel which increases with the boost. Other than the fact it’s lost the boost/grunt really low down like it had before, it drives really nice. I just don’t want the lag, especially when it was so riotous before. It’s a trade off with turbo reliability though as the smoke was the issue before.

I’ve ordered some Copper RTV sealant that can handle 700 degrees intermittently so I’m hoping that’ll seal the turbo up. I’ve never had my EGT above 720 so I think it’ll be fine. I’m still going to persist with the GT2052v as when it works it’s fucking awesome. Considering wheel sizes are about the same it’s a TOTALLY different donkey.

I’ve ordered some more shit too:

1) diesel stop solenoid as mine intermittently sticks and won’t kill the engine sometimes, just sputters and sometimes stops - this will probably make no difference and I’ll need another ignition switch.....

2) a 45 degree boost pipe as mine is temp onto the bmw compressor outlet. It’s sits at a funny angle and it looks naff.

3) a Bosch VE pump socket set in anticipation as I might swap back to a 10mm 2.4d pump start some point to see how it times up and runs.

4) a chinesium heated seat kit with 3 level settings. Winter is coming.

One of the tabs on the passengers wing to hold the clips on the front panel has broken off and the other is bent and won’t be long until it suffers the same fate. First thoughts are to add some bonnet style clips to the front so it’s even faster to get off for pissing around with things. Feels like it would look a bit chavvy though so I’m unsold on the idea.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• I've got some RTV stuff in the garage used on jet engines, might do the trick - horrible stinking stuff though. About 140 a tube, I'll send you some.

10mm pump head might be a good shout, you need that fuel low down for spool. You could load up the spring on the LDA, try less taper, limit the travel, turn the max throttle stop down a turn.

I quite like those o-ring and bobbin affairs for holding on the front panel, yeah bit chav heh ho.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
            I've got some RTV stuff in the garage used on jet engines, might do the trick - horrible stinking stuff though. About 140 a tube, I'll send you some.

10mm pump head might be a good shout, you need that fuel low down for spool. You could load up the spring on the LDA, try less taper, limit the travel, turn the max throttle stop down a turn.

I quite like those o-ring and bobbin affairs for holding on the front panel, yeah bit chav heh ho.
            So my £6 tube won’t be quite the same as your stuff - Haha.

Failing that if I need the fuel low down then the short intervals between turbo cleaning might lead me to a waste-gated setup. I’ve started looking into the Holset stuff. Less gimicky and not marketed to the aftermarket scene like the other stuff. Often regarded as far more reliable. So much so, if I could get my hands on one of the very rare VGT Holsets then I may even do that. They operate totally differently and again, they’re much more reliable. I’ll see, no need to rush into anything yet.

On the pump, the 11mm dies a death at the top end. Remember the issue before with the roller carrier? Like that but much higher up the Rev range, approximately 4K? Maybe a tad more. Flat out in 5th It’ll only do 80-85. Standard gearing, but it’s doesn’t take any prisoners whilst getting there lol. This is my basis for wanted to try the 10mm. It’s a straight forward swap anyway. What would I be looking at as a base setting to try on the 10mm head, +1.00?

I’ll search for a standard 2.4d pump.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

• This picture has made my day, what a total relief... ZERO RUST, factory paint dead centre... im gonna give it another coat of (something, still unsure.. any ideas?) then sound deaden the door also. Good Ol’ Volkswagen!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post

This picture has made my day, what a total relief... ZERO RUST, factory paint dead centre... im gonna give it another coat of (something, still unsure.. any ideas?) then sound deaden the door also. Good Ol’ Volkswagen!

Mmmmmmmmmm Friesian Green. My favourite T4 colour.

Sent from a muppet
                #vanlife

Comment

• I fitted the scrapyard sliding door handle tonight as mine was cracked and needed a sharp bang every time I opened it. Got on my tits. I also stuck the new sliding door rubber in and ordered a new roller kit as my lower nylon rollers are fairly worn. The bottom rail looks dirty and has light discolouration but it’s in good condition really. I need to think about welding up the scrap slider with the new bottom panel too. I’ll get my painter mate to paint it as this years outdoor painting season is now gone.

The banded wheels are ready now too so I should get them back via courier early next week. I need to consider how I’m going to get these painted too and I’ll probably need to go for a slight stretch and a smaller sidewall tyre as I’m almost certain that my 225/55’s won’t fit. Naturally this’ll mean I’ll have to start researching which 5th gear to swap to as I don’t want to be sat at 65 on the motorway doing 6750rpm. That’s something else I’ve got the ABL for.

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post

Mmmmmmmmmm Friesian Green. My favourite T4 colour.

Sent from a muppet
                    Your kidding man... I actually quite like that aswell... but theres just summit a bit ‘Glasgow City Council’ about it! Lol... why it was changed!!! Hahahaha!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post

Your kidding man... I actually quite like that aswell... but theres just summit a bit ‘Glasgow City Council’ about it! Lol... why it was changed!!! Hahahaha!!!

Yep. It’s my favourite factory T4 colour. My work wreck is white. Just about as boring as it gets. My dad’s is Friesian Green and I’m so jealous I want to peel his skin off and roll him in salt every time I see it.

He doesn’t make hardly any time for it though, I’ve done 80% of the work to it so it’ll stay a jacked up, standard 15” steelie l, bland ass box for a long time but the colour is there but with a foolish retard like me on the V5, it could be magnificent.

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• More nonsensical shit and rubbish has turned up for the van and it’s only hump day. I may have to either quit weekend drinking or lock myself out of eBay from Friday night until Monday mornings.

Amongst the tat are these though:

17” Vito steels, blasted, banded and dressed back ready for paint. I used Usher Engineering as they cut the wheels and band on a lathe, then use an automatic welding machine to put them back together whilst throwing them on a wheel balancer at various stages throughout the process. Pretty much everyone else I spoke to (the big names) seemed either cagey about giving details of how they were going to cut and shut the only 4 points of contact between my 2.8 tonne van and the road or, they banded them with clamps and a 4” grinder. Steve Usher was a thoroughly nice chap to deal with and I met him when I dropped them off in person.

Anyway, they were 6.5J ET50 and the fronts are now 8J and the rears 8.5J. Now it’s time to interact with the chronicles........

I was going to paint them in metallic silver as the van has a black and white theme going on and I don’t want anything fancy but does anyone have any other suggestions on colour/finish?

Tyres: I was thinking 205/50 at the front but given the extra half inch on the back, do I go for 215/50 on the back? I’m not going to reuse the 225/55’s as I’m almost definite they’ll rub. Any thoughts?

#vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                          More nonsensical shit and rubbish has turned up for the van and it’s only hump day. I may have to either quit weekend drinking or lock myself out of eBay from Friday night until Monday mornings.

Amongst the tat are these though:

17” Vito steels, blasted, banded and dressed back ready for paint. I used Usher Engineering as they cut the wheels and band on a lathe, then use an automatic welding machine to put them back together whilst throwing them on a wheel balancer at various stages throughout the process. Pretty much everyone else I spoke to (the big names) seemed either cagey about giving details of how they were going to cut and shut the only 4 points of contact between my 2.8 tonne van and the road or, they banded them with clamps and a 4” grinder. Steve Usher was a thoroughly nice chap to deal with and I met him when I dropped them off in person.

Anyway, they were 6.5J ET50 and the fronts are now 8J and the rears 8.5J. Now it’s time to interact with the chronicles........

I was going to paint them in metallic silver as the van has a black and white theme going on and I don’t want anything fancy but does anyone have any other suggestions on colour/finish?

Tyres: I was thinking 205/50 at the front but given the extra half inch on the back, do I go for 215/50 on the back? I’m not going to reuse the 225/55’s as I’m almost definite they’ll rub. Any thoughts?

A mid grey would be my choice, will you be fitting wheel caps/covers?
                          Whats Jonos thoughts? He seem,s to be a bit of a whizz with colour schemes?

The 225/55 R17's will fit TommyP.
                          Thats 15mm smaller in diameter than my current fit 19's.
                          https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=25mm&sr=0mm

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

A mid grey would be my choice, will you be fitting wheel caps/covers?
                            Whats Jonos thoughts? He seem,s to be a bit of a whizz with colour schemes?

The 225/55 R17's will fit TommyP.
                            Thats 15mm smaller in diameter than my current fit 19's.
                            https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...cl=25mm&sr=0mm
                            He’s still bitter I bought this one really so does his very best to be scathing about everything to do with it. He said silver when pushed. “Nothing else would give the look you’re after” and to be fair, that might be right as I just want it plain but I will look into the grey as it’s not that wild.

Not sure on caps yet, have thought about the caddy ones and the T4 ones, I’ll get them on first and go from there.

When I actually measure up the wheels as they are in the arches now with my alloys (based on the aldi later differences, I’m pretty sure they’ll rub the rear arches on bumps and ruts in the road. It’s not just the diameter but combined with the greater poke, it’ll be shit. Remembering I often throw another half tonne in the back and could easily then go and pick up a digger and trailer. Don’t forget to throw the fair weather T4 owners manual out the window as this is a working van that gets abused.

Last edited by TommyP; 29 October 2020, 12:12 AM.
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Would you consider gloss white? I’ve seen them on vans and they do look good...but very difficult to keep clean.

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                                Would you consider gloss white? I’ve seen them on vans and they do look good...but very difficult to keep clean.
                                I’ve got gloss black alloys at the minute as you know and they’re a total bitch to keep clean. They look shit after a few miles and as I can’t be arsed to clean them every day, I may swerve white for the same reason.Just trying to picture the on a white van though, could be quite striking.

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X