The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Is there residual fuel adjustment on your pump? The rocking lever thing on back of pump that the idle rod would normally connect to or is the idle set on the minimum throttle lever position only?
    I know the lever thanks to your guides and the Bosch book. No, I’ve not got that, just the idle stop.

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

• The weather wasn’t too bad today so I managed to get on with the oil and diesel leak.

Oil was the rocker cover, I have t got the right bolt for it as I didn’t have enough time to look for them so I just rammed some M8 stainless ones in. The leak was around the timing end and as far along as no.2, it was pretty bad so desperately needed sorting as it made a mess everywhere I went. The gasket seemed fine so I used a bit of instant gasket shit, hateful stuff but until I get the right bolts it’ll have to do.

The diesel leak was the no.1 injector union to the injector itself. The pipe was quite pitted but I had previously tried to smooth it off with sand paper which did help a lot but it still weeped. This one was bodged with a small copper washer. Lol.

I also moved some clips and fixed the intercooler pipe away from the alternator belt/pulley as it rubbed and squeaked. It seriously got on my tits.

I don’t do anything else as I couldn’t be arsed.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• I dropped my 17” merc steels off to Usher Engineering yesterday to be banded. I’m not sure how much to band them though.

They’re currently 6.5j ET50 and I was going to throw my 225/50’s on them. Or 55’s. I can’t remember, it’s the size that’s almost exactly the same rolling radius as the standard wheels. Which could be either I suppose.

Anyway, I didn’t know whether to take them to 8J which is the same as my current Audi alloys (which are ET48). If I take them out to this they’ll end up at ET23 from my calculations from willtheyfit.com

They’ll poke out more by 25mm. It’s not tooooooo low but does anyone have any thoughts? I wasn’t sure on 8 or 8.5. I wasn’t going for staggered but I honestly have no clue now I’m sat here trying to work the fucker out..

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• Oh also, I towed some weight with it last week. Erm, is 2 tonnes the towing limit? Well then let’s just say it was that much an eeerrrrr, absolutely not any more. Honest officer.

In my opinion, towing tells you more than anything else about your engine. The additional weight means you’ve got more time to listen and feel for what your power plant is doing and how it’s behaving. Dyno runs can vary and it’s so lovely to sit and talk bollocks about your figures but how does that relate to how it actually drives? Fuck all but a decent journey with a good amount of weight tells you a bundle. Trust me, I’m a builder......

The low down grunt was a revelation. I knew the engine and turbo combination would be good but I didn’t realise it would be so relaxing and effortless to haul 3 tonnes uphill out of a tee junction onto a fast road in traffic. The main event is the sound from my fuckwit spec custom exhaust system, it’s biblical. Undeniably antisocial but biblical.

I meant 2 tonnes. Yes, that’s what we said. Ignore the typo.

I’m actually still really impressed with the Valeo SMF and 220mm clutch, it’s been 4K since I’ve done the engine swap and the clutch is still great (which wasn’t replaced when I had the engine and box out as I’m a tight bastard), even when pulling out of the aforementioned junctions.

I’ll post a pic tomorrow as I forgot yesterday but I received a BMW Gt2052v as it has different housings but it’s the same internally. The turbine side has a different flange (pmsl) with a three bolt fitting so won’t mate up directly to my sexy ass manifold but the compressor housing outlet is more the conventional straight out style, rather than my Audi one which basically fires it out sideways and directly at the master cylinder. This makes it a bitch to pipe up and rubs like a teenage boy that’s found a blue mag in a public toilet.

I’ll need to plan 3-4 hours for the turbo and fueling as the turbo oil return is a rancid slag so I’m not much looking forward to that. I may change it for a universal one as the current flexi is rather heavy duty for the internal diameter. Oh the Joys.

Sent from a muppet
          Last edited by TommyP; 4 October 2020, 11:11 PM.
          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
            I dropped my 17” merc steels off to Usher Engineering yesterday to be banded. I’m not sure how much to band them though.

They’re currently 6.5j ET50 and I was going to throw my 225/50’s on them. Or 55’s. I can’t remember, it’s the size that’s almost exactly the same rolling radius as the standard wheels. Which could be either I suppose.

Anyway, I didn’t know whether to take them to 8J which is the same as my current Audi alloys (which are ET48). If I take them out to this they’ll end up at ET23 from my calculations from willtheyfit.com

They’ll poke out more by 25mm. It’s not tooooooo low but does anyone have any thoughts? I wasn’t sure on 8 or 8.5. I wasn’t going for staggered but I honestly have no clue now I’m sat here trying to work the fucker out..

Sent from a muppet
            Nowp, if they are 55 and you go to 8 they'll be ET36, 8.5 would give you ET29.6, the 8s should still tuck on the 225s. I'd go 8.5 rear and 8 front.

If they are 50 and you go to 8 they'll be ET31, 8.5 would give you ET24.6

The ET change is half the band thickness. I did a post for activ about this with a nice mspaint diagram - cant find it now...
            Last edited by regcheeseman; 4 October 2020, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Nowp, if they are 55 and you go to 8 they'll be ET36, 8.5 would give you ET29.6, the 8s should still tuck on the 225s. I'd go 8.5 rear and 8 front.

The ET change is half the band thickness.
              Serves me right for trying to be clever.

I was trying to do it by getting the inset the same as the 6.5 and then playing around with it as an 8J until I got the right (wrong) numbers. The band is added to the poke but I guess it makes sense? Fuck knows, I don’t lol

Oh and I meant the tyre wall is either 50/55. The rims are definitely ET50. Sounds like I should be going for 8J all round though.

Sent from a muppet
              Last edited by TommyP; 4 October 2020, 11:25 PM.
              #vanlife

Comment

The ET change is half the band thickness. I did a post for activ about this with a nice mspaint diagram - cant find it now...
                Ah thats good, thats exactly as I understood it to be. Advised Tommy you'd know for sure and be the best to advise.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Last edited by Activ8; 4 October 2020, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• It’s been a day of fun and games with the fucker today. Half way down the short trip on the motorway to work this morning the van started an old and familiar sound. Hissing, a boost pipe was about to let go from one of the clips I pissed around with yesterday.

Poof! There she goes. Even more black smoke. All the power of a standard 2.5 Tdi. Pitiful Hahahaha. I’m joking, it wasn’t that bad.

Turbo was spoiling but not making much at the inlet, to be expected. Plenty of boost noise then a mile from work, nothing.

Anyway, did the days work and figured I’d sort it before I set of home. Had a right game getting the clip back on as of course it was the timing belt end. It’s a tight as a nuns down there so it was a twat to get at. No better on the way home.

I won’t go into full detail but i striped the turbo ends off as I though the pipe was on at this point. It wasn’t. Had to argue my tits off getting it back together and the clips need to be strategically placed to avoid belts and metalwork and all sorts. They also need to be put back together in a certain order or you can’t get it in again. Took over 2 hours of pissing around and checking the turbo.

Anyway, I disconnected the boost actuator and the vanes are pretty close to being completely jammed..........

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Boost pipe trauma is behind me now.

The testing method: A heavy ass trailer on with a mate following in his Iveco Tipper with the same load on his bed. We had two runs together to collect 8tonnes off quarry waste. Journey back to the job with the stone was a demanding country rod with plenty of bends and hills. Seemed like an eternity getting back the first time with him in front so I made sure I was leading the second run. The turbo behaves when it’s being worked hard so as soon as the road opened up into the countryside I figured it would be rude not to kick the holy living bollocks out of the MTdi. He couldn’t believe how fast I pulled away from him and how much it smokes when being leathered to fuck.

I do love my mTdi.

On a sadder note. Eddie Van Halen passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. I’ve played electric guitar since I was young and anyone else that does will know what a true pioneer he was and the influence he’s had on so many players is far reaching.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

• Didn’t know you played guitar Tommy. Yes very sad about Eddie Van Helen. I’m a drummer and always loved the old rock/metal bands.

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                        Didn’t know you played guitar Tommy. Yes very sad about Eddie Van Helen. I’m a drummer and always loved the old rock/metal bands.
                        Yep, I started when I was about 12 and got pretty damn good if I’m honest. Could play all sorts, Van Halen, Steve Vai, Metallica, Saxon, Whitesnake, Dreamtheater and god knows what else, convincingly too soon not just only managing to string the notes together and looking and sounding like an arse. I loved jamming and improvising the most. Then I had my car accident at 18 and shattered my left arm (along with many other injuries) which meant I couldn’t play for months. I still can’t play anything like I used to as I can’t twist my wrist like it’s supposed to. Eddie Van Halen was one of my biggest influences for the ‘two handed’ tapping and pinched harmonics.

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• I’ve bought a load more shit for the van. Most of it is shit too but it’ll be rejuvenated and will thrill me greatly when it’s done and fitted:

1) sliding door in good shape bar a small dent in the bottom outer skin - £50
                          1.5) lower sliding door repair panel as I can’t panel beat to save the hole in my arse but I can do chicken shit welding so that’ll do £33
                          2) sliding door handle as mine has split in the middle of it thats bigger than Katie Prices.
                          3) sliding door and rear door rubber as they’re also shagged.
                          4) upper timing belt cover in a no doubt fruitless attempt to stop my aux belt rubber and squeaking (Really getting on my tits).
                          5) a BMW GT2052v as the compressor housing outlet is straight and not bent (saves my intercooler pipe wearing through on the master cylinder)
                          6) M8x35x1.5 stainless washers to pull my leaky ass rocker cover down a bit better.
                          7) rear bumper protector for the new smooth rear bumper I fitted the other week as it’s already looking like a painting and decorators van that been mauled by a tiger at West Midlands Safari Park.
                          8) i remortgaged my house to get a toothpaste size tube of that Wurth bumper dye that everyone seems to wank themselves senseless over. I’m wondering how well it would do my dashboard as I don’t like the rancid shade of John Major grey that they come in.

Unrelated to the van but I got some aftershave and a new work watch as it’s nearly Christmas after all. It’s the little things......

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• I’m thinking about sticking on the cheap parking sensors I got from the Cheesetowers parking convenience range. Jono is growing tired of me touch parking against the scirocco when I pull on the drive and I’m running out of excuses for the paramedics when he catches me doing it.

I’m hoping to get the turbo off, cleaned out and refitted this weekend. I’ll also fuck about with the pump to get rid of some of the smog too. Hopefully that should stop it clogging up so quickly. It’s a slag to get off so I can’t really be arsed to do it but I’m motivating myself by planning to turn the boost up to 14-16psi via a bit of preload on the boost actuator spring. Should be a good crack.

Oh and I also have the nearside step to weld up as there’s a 2”-3” hole in it and I’m getting bored of hearing the gearbox screaming for mercy. I’d better get the drivers side wing on too. I painted it in what feels like 1976 so it’s dragged on for too long now.

I’d have the banded steels back by now but I still haven’t fully decided what size I want them doing at. They’re 6.5J et50 17”. I doubt my 225/55’s will work that well so I might have to swap to 205 or 215/50’s. Was considering 8 front and 8.5 rear. Fills the back out a bit better but won’t look staggered as I fucking hate the staggered ricer’s Honda Civic* look.

Obviously dropping the tyre size will then force me to change 5th gear as I do motorway miles and I can’t be arsed for a screaming engine, I have the shitty little ABL for that.

*I offer my unreserved apologies for mentioning jap crap.

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                              I’m thinking about sticking on the cheap parking sensors I got from the Cheesetowers parking convenience range. Jono is growing tired of me touch parking against the scirocco when I pull on the drive and I’m running out of excuses for the paramedics when he catches me doing it.

I’m hoping to get the turbo off, cleaned out and refitted this weekend. I’ll also fuck about with the pump to get rid of some of the smog too. Hopefully that should stop it clogging up so quickly. It’s a slag to get off so I can’t really be arsed to do it but I’m motivating myself by planning to turn the boost up to 14-16psi via a bit of preload on the boost actuator spring. Should be a good crack.

Oh and I also have the nearside step to weld up as there’s a 2”-3” hole in it and I’m getting bored of hearing the gearbox screaming for mercy. I’d better get the drivers side wing on too. I painted it in what feels like 1976 so it’s dragged on for too long now.

I’d have the banded steels back by now but I still haven’t fully decided what size I want them doing at. They’re 6.5J et50 17”. I doubt my 225/55’s will work that well so I might have to swap to 205 or 215/50’s. Was considering 8 front and 8.5 rear. Fills the back out a bit better but won’t look staggered as I fucking hate the staggered ricer’s Honda Civic* look.

Obviously dropping the tyre size will then force me to change 5th gear as I do motorway miles and I can’t be arsed for a screaming engine, I have the shitty little ABL for that.

*I offer my unreserved apologies for mentioning jap crap.

Sent from a muppet
                              Wont look staggered because T4's have that god awful 'narrow track width at the back' look going on. Why VW why? If you had put and extra 20 mm track on both sides you could claim more floor space.

Comment

• This morning I picked up the sliding door from the breakers that I bought for £55. Bargain. The small/medium sized dent in the bottom only affects the outer skin and I already bought a repair panel as I can’t pull dents for shit along crease lines. I’ll probably cut it out, swage the door and spot weld the new panel to it.

Then after fucking about with other shot in the afternoon I got on with pulling the turbo off to clean it out. It’s a bastard of a job as the return line is not very flexible. If/when I have it off again I’ll pull the oil filter off and take the bottom feed off to do it.

The turbo was shit up to fook:

A quick clean up with a copper/brass wheel and it’s all free again:

I fitted the BMW compressor housing as the outlet is better for the pipework.

I had planned to keep the BMW core as a backup for Justin but the nozzle lever is 180 degrees out so the actuator would be the wrong way up and near the bulkhead so that’s for the bin. Same with the turbine housing as it’s a different fitment and no use to me. The vnt nozzle ring and vanes are good to keep though so it’s £30 well spent.

All back in and with messing about with the bmw turbo and taking pics, took about 2 and a half hours in total. What a faff that is.

I took the liberty to pre load the actuator spring so it should give about 15-17 psi when being belted now. I’ll report back as something will be a pain in the arse to sort for sure.

Tomorrow I’ll turn the fuel down and see if I can stop or limit the smoke/over-fueling as best I can. I don’t mind de coking the turbo once a year but not quarterly. I can’t be arsed for that. I’ll see how it goes.

I need to weld a hole up tomorrow too.

Sent from a muppet
                                #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                                X