No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amongst 134 other jobs this weekend I managed to get the new rear bumper and replacement lights on the back of the work nail:

The lights are the same as before but not smashed. Those Depo LED things.

I pulled the towbar off and got a knot wheel on it then some hammershite to tidy that up. 3 of the 4 bolts sheared off so I’ll grab some new high tensile ones tomorrow. Bit of a pain in the arse as I’m supposed to be dragging a digger across the county tomorrow night.

The new bumper needs a protector on it as it’ll get fucked quickly anyway so I better try and limit that.

Sent from a muppet
    #vanlife

Comment

• Your work "nail" will soon be far tidier than some folks pride and joy, mine included.

Comment

• It’s not too shabby

It’s desperate for a polish though, I’ve not done it this year at all.

Sent from a muppet
        #vanlife

Comment

• It’s not too shabby

It’s desperate for a polish though, I’ve not done it this year at all.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• Any pics with the rear lights on ?

Comment

• For Kev:

Sent from a muppet
              #vanlife

Comment

• Nice. .

Comment

• The turbo is getting more of an issue. When the vanes gum up and don’t open I get blue/grey smoke the next time I pull off after sitting at the lights, not good. I think it could be the internal pressure pushing oil through the seals. When the vanes work there’s no blue/grey smoke. I need to whip an intercooler pipe of to see what’s in there.

It isn’t doing the turbo any good. The Plan:

1, Take the turbo off and clean it out
                  2, knock the throttle lever round a notch to get the idle up and lower the fuel so I get virtually no black smog.

I think that’ll sort it or at least for longer. Worst case if I leave it too long I’ll get another CHRA to be on the safe side.

I would stick a wastegated turbo on it but I just can’t see me being happy with it. The GT2052v makes fantastic torque low down and flows shitloads up top too for what I need it to do.

The turbo works fine when I’m on long runs it’s just around town that fucks it up. I genuinely think over fueling is the issue. I already have about 1mm or more of soot built up in the exhaust!

It’s all good fun and part of the learning curve.

Reg - Im still not ready to lock the vanes off yet......

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Try a smaller nozzle Tommy or slightly larger turbo.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      Try a smaller nozzle Tommy or slightly larger turbo.

Smaller nozzle injectors?

Sent from a muppet
                      #vanlife

Comment

• Yeh. I know you're still tweaking the setup. If the turbo is sooting up (I doubt its the low pressured boost and the oil seals in the turbos new oil housing) its not burning off the fuel delivered. A slightly smaller nozzle will deliver proportionately less. My GT23V "clogged up" every 2 months with 0.26's fitted.

Comment

• Few options..

More preload on underside of LDA pin, Limit LDA pin travel, run different taper on boost pin, turn fuel down a smidge, lock the vanes.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                            Few options..

More preload on underside of LDA pin, Limit LDA pin travel, run different taper on boost pin, turn fuel down a smidge, lock the vanes.
                            I do get an initial cannonball of black smoke when the vanes fly open.

Do you thinking starting with the fuel screw first would be a good idea as I get smoke in varying degrees across all situations. It’s beat when it’s being leathered to fuck at high rpms.

If you ask me I’d say this turbo is really well suited to my goals. It gives fantastic low end boost, seems to be great at high revs too and doesn’t seem to be working to hard doing it.

Just need to get on it after the oil and diesel leak at the weekend. Bit annoying as the oil return flexi isn’t magnificently flexible so getting it on and off is a bit of a fucking pig.

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Another thought, given how sensitive the throttle is, maybe I have the lever in the wrong position anyway? Would this explain why it is so sensitive and why I have to turn the fuel down so low whilst struggling to keep the idle up? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree and really have absolutely no idea what I’m on about or any concept of what I’m doing?

My vote is for the latter.

I look forward to sticking a VGT on the 1.9 I’m the camper as that pump is set up beautifully, it’s runs like a dream. Beginners luck which has clearly ran out by the time I came to the mTdi hahahahaha. Fucking moron......

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Is there residual fuel adjustment on your pump? The rocking lever thing on back of pump that the idle rod would normally connect to or is the idle set on the minimum throttle lever position only?

Comment

Working...
                                X