No announcement yet.

The Caveman Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've not had a single problem logging in using a web browser, but the old app has been acting oddly on my android Damsung phone . Don't paste passwords in to the login page, type them, that has never failed me todate. Avoid using emojis when using the app.

Make sure you're not logged in across multiple devices too.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Hi guys, had a busy couple of days.

Vans still running well on its initial settings. I think the BOV needs some more tweaking. When it’s first started it boosts a bit better than when it’s warm. Pissing around with the BOV changes the boost and at present is the primary limiting factor for power.

Before I go balls deep into higher boost by adding the extra spring back into the BOV that I took out when I first got it going, I need to sort my boost pipes. The turbo to intercooler section is routed bizarrely as I just used what I had but I’ve ordered and received some new bits to put that right. That section currently has jubilee clips on it which I’ve never had much success with in the past on boost pipe. When I’m happy that’s in nice and tight. I’ll ramp the BOV up and just see what boost it throws out.

Sent from a muppet
      #vanlife

Comment

• Never seen a pump shaft failure either in person or on forums, suspect it'll be fine. Not sure on options for a 20mm shaft on a left hand pump, sure it could be sorted but we are back into uncharted territory. I wouldn't worry about it.

fuck the actuator off, lock the vanes, set the BOV and go balls deep on the fuel. Problem solved. Then fit a bigger turbo.....and injectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
          fuck the actuator off, lock the vanes, set the BOV and go balls deep on the fuel. Problem solved. Then fit a bigger turbo.....and injectors.
          I’d just go for a big ass wastegated turbo if I was going to do that. I love how quickly this thing spools up and the violent change in exhaust note when the vane get rammed open. It’s furious and I’m totally in love with it even at this early stage.

Only downside is this turbo leaks a bit around the turbine housing so I’ll probably swap it for a bigger VGT in time when I’m sold on its long term reliability.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• Go on, fix the vanes and see if you dont still get that violent ramming in the backside that you seem to enjoy so much.

Comment

Go on, fix the vanes and see if you dont still get that violent ramming in the backside that you seem to enjoy so much.
              You can't say that ......
              Fixing the vanes will loose all the advantages of Tommys VNT!

Comment

• I said it because I've been there,d it and fought the torque steering nightmare it created, you could lane change by using throttle rather than steering wheel

Comment

I said it because I've been there,d it and fought the torque steering nightmare it created, you could lane change by using throttle rather than steering wheel
                  Ooh nice.
                  Can you recall the turbo used?
                  Must of been an early VNT1?

Are you considering an mTDI with that BMW Garrett blower?

Comment

Go on, fix the vanes and see if you dont still get that violent ramming in the backside that you seem to enjoy so much.
                    Hahaha!!! LMFAO.

I could quickly and easily fix the vanes. Call me Rob but I may do this in the name of science one day.

Sent from a muppet
                    #vanlife

Comment

I said it because I've been there,d it and fought the torque steering nightmare it created, you could lane change by using throttle rather than steering wheel
                      I’m only running fairly tame boost so far but I do love that violent lump of torque. My clutch seems to be fine with it too which I’m thrilled about.

Want to batter the boost up this weekend tho along with sorting a random leak I’ve got.

EDIT: Removed “random ass leak” before reg sees it.

Sent from a muppet
                      Last edited by TommyP; 7 August 2020, 10:01 PM.
                      #vanlife

Comment

• On another note, I’ve just picked up a bargain set of 17” Vito steels including spigot rings from a couple that have a T4.

I’m going for a little band and then sprayed a standard silver. I’ve totally fallen out of love with my D2 V8 alloys. They just don’t suit the working van at all.

Sent from a muppet
                        #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                          Ooh nice.
                          Can you recall the turbo used?
                          Must of been an early VNT1?

Are you considering an mTDI with that BMW Garrett blower?

Yep BV49 turbo

Not going mTdi, bunch of old fashioned arse crack.

Comment

Not going mTdi, bunch of old fashioned arse crack.
                            It’s lovely to see how fond you are of limp mode. You’ve developed quite an attachment to it.

Sent from a muppet
                            #vanlife

Comment

• Tried the steelies on to see what I could band them:

Old alloys are 8J ET48. Steels are 6.5J ET50. Was thinking about getting them banded 1.5” but may go 2” for the very slightest of stretch. I have about 60mm to play with for the sliding door.

For reference: My tyres are 225/55/17 and the steels in the pic are 205/55/17.

It’s either that or I go 1.5” band and a 12mm spacer for the rears. I refuse to go for staggered as I don’t have a bald head and a long beard like the usual hipsters with no imagination. I feel embarrassed and ****ish enough as it is going for banded steelies.

Sent from a muppet
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                                It’s lovely to see how fond you are of limp mode. You’ve developed quite an attachment to it.
                                Didn't see much limp at three figures plus on the M5 earlier, the T5 I left for dead on a north devon link road hill must have been limping....

Comment

Working...
                                X