Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone interested in turbo chargers but cannot be arsed with doing the maths, I've been recommended this site from BorgWarner to gauge compressor and turbine sizing ideas plus all the other data concerning passing wind in your van! Have fun!!

https://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/af...bot/index.html

Comment

• The Greddy turbo was in the workshop today , I'm looking forward to the results next week.

Comment

• Collected the turbo and balancing result. Chuffed. According to MHI the tolerance is max. 1.5G @ 95000rpm on the CIMAT VSR rig (Vibration Sorting Rig). This is used for the high speed "trim'" balancing as opposed to the low speed CHRA dual balancer.

This is an extreme compressor wheel and after being built and loosely spinning it up I had my concerns (you can hear the balance noise if that makes sense) so I was mentally prepared and expecting some compromise. So before looking the turbo over I studied the print out and was very pleasantly surprised. 0.7max at "tickover" reducing to 0.3 @ 110k rpm and having specified that it was run.up further I know the balance remained constant above this. You can see the tolerance window in the pic and this is a lot lot better. Early Xmas gift and seriously chuffed!

I tracked down the MHI tolerance for the TD05 turbo. It's 1.5G @ 95k, the VSR measures and reports the harmonic acceleration this equates to a displacement of 0.037mm. My results of 0.3G equates to 0.007mm.
        https://www.mide.com/simple-harmonic...culator#govern
        Last edited by Activ8; 25 December 2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Now to the turbo, ta dah ....

Comment

• Next I need to turn my attention to a suitable actuator after studying the boost, torque and bhp target calcs. The standard unit uses a 1 bar (14.7psi) actuator with the 18G 48.1/68mm compressor but I think it's loosing too much low boost control the effect being boost surge and stall, however this unit does have an anti-surge inlet. Review the calcs and control.
            Last edited by Activ8; 20 December 2019, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Just renewed the van insurance with A-Plan. I've been specific with the van mods, stayed at £5k value but they weren't prepared to negotiate further on the van but discounted the Golf further to compensate and to match Flux.

Comment

• Eberspacher D3W

Need the wiring diagram. Found it for the install in a T4 plus a workshop manual that may be useful to others.
                Seem to have lost the fuel pump during collection but might be in the van.
                VW T4 D3W Installation Manual
                Workshop Manual for Models D3W D4W D5W
                Spare Parts Here
                D3WZ Spares Page

Last edited by Activ8; 24 December 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• Here's the Eberspacher D3W Plug Connections;
                  1 (red) + battery 25A
                  2 (brown) - battery ground
                  3 (green) fuel pump
                  4 (green) fuel pump
                  5 (blue/white) diagnostics
                  6 (black) +15 or temperature switch
                  7 (blue) D+ Alternator
                  8 Blank Unused

In order to run the heater up to test do I need the alternator connection?

Comment

• Or could D+ be an ignition live?

Comment

• I would connected to a switched + so u can run the heater without ignition

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

• Yep will do but really need to find a cheap original programmable controller or low voltage household programmer that I can repurpose. I like the idea of under floor heating in the van but needs a little more thought.

Comment

• This is a very good idea, one problem, u will have a 30mm thick floor minimum to get pipes and insulation and 9 mm ply. Otherwise no problem.
                          Or do u think electric? Hock up?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                            This is a very good idea, one problem, u will have a 30mm thick floor minimum to get pipes and insulation and 9 mm ply. Otherwise no problem.
                            Or do u think electric? Hock up?

Yes I've thought about this too Hans , but there are solutions mein freund - your floor has two surfaces its top and its underside - but I could raise/sandwich the floor level as you suggest to the same level as the cab, plus it may help to hide other van functions and systems - say battery cells perhaps, but provide a flat loading bay for van work? Could look at electrical matting with EHU or even an electric blanket suitably emblazened with VW logos! My thinking is with this hydronic unit go microbore copper piping laid on a thin insulated surface and "underlay" a second thermal barrier under the van perhaps? The heater is good to 2.5bar and 1.6KW to 3.3KW which is broad enough to take very hot temps. As UFH the temp could be kept - like property - at say 15-16degC just to take the chill off but combined with sleeping bags and quilts offer a more relaxed environment.

A mate around for coffee has suggested fitting a towel rail!

Need to fire it up first as I can't be doing with pumps clicking and creating something to count in the wee small hours!
                            All mad proposals welcomed on this thread.

Comment

• I do have a 20 w ish towel rail that isnt fitted cos I fitted a diesel heater.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Get a heated bike carrier for your towels. But be careful, the Germans chuck there towels an anything

Comment

Working...
                                X