Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the process of rebuilding a mates T5 2.5TDI , the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking and after some investigation we found the problem.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, I ordered a new manifold for his van and it arrived this morning ..... hmmm I thought that port shaping and bolt pattern looks familiar, so I popped the bonnet off of "The Beast" and whipped off the manifolds and have a guess what , the T5 2.5TDI manifold fits the T4! The turbo is set upside down on the T5 (bugger to work on) and I needed to be somewhere else but its got me thinking... DAMN YOU VANS!

I've got a T5 2.5TDI turbo in the garage just cannot remember which Garret it is....GT2x.
    Pictures to prove right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180717_103831.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	266794

Name:	20180719_154511.jpg
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	266795
    Last edited by Activ8; 4 April 2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• Forgot to post this, but I've been looking at van bed / storage systems and spotted this system on a Crafter at VW Commercials , slinging my head in the side door I thought WTF is this... looks cool and disappeared to open it up before being shooed away by the officious Service Manager. Hence the hastily taken pics! Its a rail system where the two halves of the bed fold down from the sides (height adjustable) then lock into horizontal supports but leave room for your low cupboard storage or loading area. Really interesting, anybody seen these systems advertised online?

Name:	20180729_153635.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	266796

Name:	20180729_153640.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	266797

Name:	20180729_153645.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	266798

Name:	20180729_153830.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	266799

Comment

• I’m thinking of reversing my Rock and Roll bed when I go to a pod system to enable more rear storage [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Ground out the housing.

Comment

• To be or not turbine.

Comment

• Housing

Comment

• Started to strip my pump.

Comment

• Very interesting stuff Rob.

I don't think I'll ever strip mine down, but I do find it interesting.

Do you need your book back for this work?

Just say matey, and I'll drive it over.

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                    Very interesting stuff Rob.

Do you need your book back for this work?

Just say matey, and I'll drive it over.
                    All cool Jez thanks - I'll use my garage copy if needed plus some info I got from Bosch. Surprised at how clean it all is!
                    Last edited by Activ8; 11 April 2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• I was amazed how clean are pump was when I did the throttle spindle. Another reason i'm turning to Reg's view that additives are "snake oil". With the filters kept clean I don't see what they would do to my pump or injectors.

Comment

• Originally posted by frenchdna View Post
                        I have a few pumps to play with and Reg has offered to put all the bits back together again for me! [emoji6]

Comment

• Back on to my turbo upgrade today;

I'm building a water cooled K24 old skool unit for my red day van as the simplicity appeals to me and to date the VNT types I've used have started to fail with my setup and experimenting after just 6 months.
                          The donor unit I bought is super clean with no play. Theres zero coke build up on the turbine side unusual compared to other KKK turbos I've broken up in the past.
                          Fuel & oil cokes the turbo at 300degC and water cooling it keeps the oil housing well below this temp.
                          No traces of oil in the compressor housing or signs of back pressure oil ingress. Chuffed.
                          The K24 oil housing is much larger then the K14 OEM although the oil feed and return are similar sizes.

K14 Compressor: Ind. 35. mm, Exd. 50. mm , 6+6 Blades / K14 Turbine: Ind. 50. mm, Exd. 37.2 mm, 12 Blades
                          Current K24WC Compressor: Ind. 42.37 mm, Exd. 60.5 mm, 6+6 Blades / K24WC Ind.59mm, Exd. 46mm, 6 Blades 280bhp max
                          Proposed K24WC Compressor: Ind. 47.42 mm, Exd. 65.95mm, 6+6 Blades (billet, so lighter to spin) / K24WC Ind.59mm, Exd. 46mm, 6 Blades (340bhp)

I'm going to run the turbo through the an existing AJT manifold that I have ported into an adaptor plate as it positions the turbo like the OEM unit and ideal for a 2.5" to 3" DP.
                          Interestingly while I had a few turbos on the bench I measured the exhaust to turbo flanges to measure the openings.
                          I'm interested in this as I read 10 Stallions' build thread on the other forum and was recently getting high back pressure maxxing out the GT2260 with 37psi using a twin scroll housing with a 3" short DP exiting through the bonnet!

Measurements are approximate;
                          K14 OEM 1452mm sq
                          T25 1824mm sq (25.6%% increase over K14)
                          T3 3150mm sq (217% increase over K14)
                          GTB2559V 1256mm sq (-13.5% decrease over K14)
                          GTA2052V 1256mm sq (-13.5% decrease over K14)
                          GTA2252V 1256mm sq (-13.5% decrease over K14)
                          GTB2359V 1320mm sq (-9.1% decrease over K14)
                          KKK24WC 2551mm sq (175% increase over K14)
                          KKK16 Volvo 2000mm sq (137% increase over K14)
                          KKK16 Volvo (A8 modified) 2352mm sq (162% increase over K14)

Sorry Reg I didn't have my BMW GTB2260 to hand!
                          Being cynical, it seems that as the latest VNT's get more efficient they become more restrictive.

Comment

• Find all this fascinating,but to be honest,I’ve only understood the porting bit.If I keep reading enough of this technical jargon,some might actually sink in.Keep the updates coming mate.

Comment

• I fancied a little German take-away this morning,

Close-ups for reference .

This is the Volvo D5252T 2.5TDI VE5/11E2300L649 0460415990 Bosch VP37 EDC diesel pump.

Any tips Reg on removing the timing piston?
                              Last edited by Activ8; 16 April 2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Any tips Reg on removing the timing piston?
                                Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Remove the small black spring clip (at 6 o'clock) on the cam roller/follower plate - it just pulls out.

Under that is a small pin - lift that out with needle pliers

The hardened pin can then lift upwards - assuming main shaft is in correct position - use a small screwdriver to get in the hole exposed by removal of small pin to wiggle the large pin upwards.

Once the large pin is fully lifted, it will release the dynamic timing piston and the cam follower plate can be lifted out if required - I wouldn't go this far unless the pump was dirty or gummed and you needed access to the vanes of the lift pump or to replace the main shaft bushes.

Comment

Working...
                                X