Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    I'll get there...I pick them up cheap as there's lots of odds, returns or display wheels kicking about . Picked up new 2x 8.5Jx19 KT4 rims (no centres) on ebay for £30 each 2AM this morning.
    I don't doubt if mate, you do seem to find some bargains. [emoji106]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

• New carbon K&N crankcase breather received this morning. Paid £7 on eBay, horrendous RRP. Bought this because my old K&N is a different construction. The rubber base and 10mmID neck fitting are a molded one piece so it can clamp directly on the top of the catch can.

K&N Crankcase Filters Info -
      Last edited by Activ8; 19 February 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• How come you are using a breather and not plumbing back in to the intake?? I thought the pcv puck required vacuum from the intake to function correctly??

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
          How come you are using a breather and not plumbing back in to the intake?? I thought the pcv puck required vacuum from the intake to function correctly??
          I suppose thats why I started the other thread. I'm not actually sure and seen a few that have all been plumbed differently.

Thought it just needs fresh air on our T4s?
          Vacuum from where? I was thinking the puck is pressure controlled?

Any input welcomed.

Updated 20/2/19
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Types of Crankcase Breathers.png
Views:	1
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	266474

Closed crankcase ventilation (CCV) systems are typically about 90% effective in reducing particulates and oil mist.
          The T4 actually has no filtration system to catch or filter, its designed to simply reburn the oil, particulates and gasses via the intake, turbo and IC. Even with a closed filtration system approximately 10% of particulate matter and oil mist that passes through the CCV system can coke, build-up and alter the engine turbocharger compressor surfaces thereby reducing operating efficiency. Oil deposits can lead to plugging of the intercooler thereby reducing heat transfer.
          Last edited by Activ8; 20 February 2019, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Thought I'd do a gearing / speed comparison using Hans' Winter Reifen sizing (225/70x17) compared to my own 235/35x19
            AJT EWB 02B Gearbox & 02Q 6 speed Gearbox with 235/35x19

Name:	Activ8_EWB_Gear_Comparison_to_GRF.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	266463
            AJT EWB 02B Gearbox & 02Q 6 speed Gearbox with 225/70x17

Name:	Activ8_EWB_Gear_Comparison_to_GRF 225.70x17.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	266464
            Last edited by Activ8; 18 February 2019, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• I've been looking at my Intercooler setup today, doing a little maths and calculating the efficiency of my upgraded 3" TMIC.
              Been out on a logrun (v81) to capture the IC temps, (VCDS 01 Engine Measuring Block 07 Column 3)
              MAP Temp (once the van was up to fuel and coolant temps) was Low 41.4ºC to a full boost High of 58.5ºC.

Using the Adiabatic Processes
              Heres the calcs;
              Input Temperature: 8ºC (intake or under-bonnet temperature, used 8ºC for my K&N 80mm Cold Air Intake System )
              Input pressure: 14.7psi (use absolute pressure: adjusted -0.5 psi/1000 ft elevation)
              Output pressure: 27psi (gauge pressure: usually 1-2 psi more than the reported MAP to account for IC losses)
              Compressor efficiency: 75% (typically 60-75%, but Ive mapped this so I know where it sits, a fitting VNT could increase this efficiency by c.7%)

Post Turbo pre-IC Output Temperature: 136.667ºC (max @ 27psi) , PR 2.84 , Density ratio 1.95

IC input temperature: 136.667ºC (My calculated K24 discharge temperature)
              IC pressure loss: 2psi ((Reduced because of the TMIC)Boost limit is 2.72bar)
              Ambient temperature: 8ºC (outside air temperature)
              Post IC MAP Temperature: 41.4ºC to 58.5ºC from VCDS
              Overall pressure ratio: 2.70
              Overall density ratio: 2.42 to 2.30

3" TMIC Efficiency between 61%-74%. (efficiency drops dramatically when static or idling in traffic) , 80% would be very good.

I don't have a direct comparison without dropping the old OEM TMIC & Air Intake Parts back in ! (that aint gonna happen!)
              I had a quick look at some old logs and they're NOT like-for-like , but the temp gauge reading I found for 3rd June 2018 reached 113.4ºC!
              (oops, thats the worse temp logged and prompted the intake changes I believe!.... )
              Last edited by Activ8; 20 February 2019, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• My subconcious was working overtime & overnight and I awoke motivated to revisit the datalogs for the old set-up on 3rd June 2018.
                The van has ran fine and reliably with the OEM ACV TMIC 51mm pipework etc., OEM MAF, Volvo V70 intake pipework (with breather feed and N75 feed) plus a large K&N cone filter for 8 years. The K&N drawing and sucking at cool and clean air (I hoped) from the wing vent louvres. So the maths exercise this morning was important.

I have enough data from the days mapping to revisit the maths for calculating the efficiency on that day.... shocker!

IC input temperature: 168.33ºC (My calculated K24 discharge temperature)
                IC pressure loss: 2psi ((Reduced because of the TMIC)Boost limit is 2.72bar)
                Ambient temperature: 29.7ºC (outside air temperature)
                Post IC MAP Temperature: Highest 113.4ºC from VCDS
                Overall pressure ratio: 2.70
                Overall density ratio: 2.12

OEM ACV TMIC Efficiency on 3rd June 2018 was 39.5% at its lowest and 46% at its best!

Comment

Received today from Cali Campers ; VW T4 Front Torsion Bar Support and Ball Nut
                  Thread length 173mm with the ball nut on 148mm, thread is M18x1.5, ball nut head 27mm , up to 160Nm torque dependant on condition and how lubricated the threads are. 1 newton meter N m = 10.20 KGf.cm . Approximately 10mm of torsion bar adjustment relates to 25mm ride height.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11210[/ATTACH]

I can start having a think about making it electrically or hydraulically adjustable.
                  Just to post an update on this idea, I've been engaged with my Chinese contacts on developing a 12VDC actuator for adjusting the torsion bar suspension.
                  They sent me a few samples to play with and I've sent them the torsion bar support to build into the design. Its a long way off but tickling along nicely....

Name:	Alisa_Actuator_Suspension_Bolt_ComparisonIdea.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	266484

These are serious bits of kit, moving & locking up to 15000+KG @ 6mm per minute. The picture shows the 50mm stroke extended. Anyway its taking shape ,
                  Last edited by Activ8; 21 February 2019, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• I’ve fitted something very similar to in-laws caravan

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by spedwing View Post
                      I’ve fitted something very similar to in-laws caravan

On the doors to lock them in? [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                        On the doors to lock them in? [emoji23][emoji23]

Lol na , to be fair there really nice good people ,[emoji106]

It looks like the actuators that are used on the caravan mover , it pushes the drive roller onto the tyre

Comment

• I get you now. Great invention those motor mover systems

Comment

Just to post an update on this idea, I've been engaged with my Chinese contacts on developing a 12VDC actuator for adjusting the torsion bar suspension.
                            They sent me a few samples to play with and I've sent them the torsion bar support to build into the design. Its a long way off but tickling along nicely....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11437[/ATTACH]

These are serious bits of kit, moving & locking up to 15000+KG @ 6mm per minute. The picture shows the 50mm stroke extended. Anyway its taking shape ,
                            I very much doubt its ability to take the repeated forces exerted on the standard bolt, but happy to be proved wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                              I very much doubt its ability to take the repeated forces exerted on the standard bolt, but happy to be proved wrong
                              The example image just shows an 80KG acuator with an aluminium rod, the higher torque units are made of stainless with all metal gearing & IP67 bodies. I had a mate help calc the forces through the torsion bar support and we reckon it's 8t fully loaded and cornering. So working on a 12t & 15t version for safety. Both units lock at these loads too. Keeps the black dog at bay too.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 22 February 2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Received the middle console pocket mounted on the LHD centre vent plastics today. Wasn't 100% sure how the pocket fixed but 2 self tapers in the base and 4 side tabs slot into vent plastics. So I intend to transfer the pocket to the RHD.

Comment

Working...
                                X