Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long shot.... but does anybody know the direction of coolant flow around the AJT engine? I'm going to fit the water hoses for the turbo into the existing flow from/to the oil cooler. Top hose is short to/from the block, bottom hose feeds around the rear and down towards the rad. Picture to follow. The coolant flow needs to be tilted on the turbos oil housing which will affect my hose runs and pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AJT_Coolant_Hoses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	264299

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    Last edited by Activ8; 18 July 2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• I'd assumed (so could be wrong) flow from pump to hard pipe - to block and back to pump.

Once warm it is then also circulated to rad and then to block.

I'd tee in on one of the rubber hoses from the hard pipe and return to block via a tapped core plug - no idea if a GTD one would fit (035103111b)

Name:	gtd2.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	264300

Name:	gtd1.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	264301

Well - compression ruined those! I'll email them

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        I'd assumed (so could be wrong) flow from pump to hard pipe - to block and back to pump.

Once warm it is then also circulated to rad and then to block.

I'd tee in on one of the rubber hoses from the hard pipe and return to block via a tapped core plug - no idea if a GTD one would fit (035103111b)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9732[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9733[/ATTACH]

Well - compression ruined those! I'll email them
        Agreed. My thoughts are to feed pipe#2 in my pic to turbo in/high then turbo out/low to oil cooler low. I'm only adding about 15cm of hose to the circuit and not changing or splitting the flow.Tested using the auxiliary pump this evening and it easily pushes the water around & through the turbo but if needed I'll fit a second auxiliary pump on a T at pipe#2. Thanks for GTD pics.

Comment

• Going to run a thermo switch on the top turbo banjo a la GTD?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post

How have you coupled the MAF housing to the back of the K&N?

Comment

How have you coupled the MAF housing to the back of the K&N?
              70mm to 80mm silicon hose adaptor for mine (larger MAF) & two jubilees. Not part of the kit but found a KN part number 85-6001 for mine, what size is your MAF housing?

Comment

Going to run a thermo switch on the top turbo banjo a la GTD?
                Looked at the GTD and it never had an auxiliary pump other than for the water cooled turbo models . Think I'll stay with plan A but will raid the scrappies for another pump, wiring & plugs etc.. to bolster if needed. Started looking at resiting the coolant reservoir and plumbing now I've stripped it all off.

Comment

70mm to 80mm silicon hose adaptor for mine (larger MAF) & two jubilees. Not part of the kit but found a KN part number 85-6001 for mine, what size is your MAF housing?

Assumed the flange mounting to airbox was flat - does it have a cylindrical section that you just clamp the hose on to?

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  Looked at the GTD and it never had an auxiliary pump other than for the water cooled turbo models . Think I'll stay with plan A but will raid the scrappies for another pump, wiring & plugs etc.. to bolster if needed. Started looking at resiting the coolant reservoir and plumbing now I've stripped it all off.

Never seen a GTD or a Passat GT diesel that didn't run the water cooled turbo and I've seen more than most.

If only you knew someone who had just broken a T4 with an aux pump and some GTD parts stashed in the loft......

I've been considering moving the expansion tank for other reasons - I'm going to carefully remove the mounting bracket on my breaker just in case.

Comment

Assumed the flange mounting to airbox was flat - does it have a cylindrical section that you just clamp the hose on to?
                    Yes. Just looked on the KN site they do other kits 85-6002 / 85-6003 for different sized MAF. Expensive though.
                    Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                    Never seen a GTD or a Passat GT diesel that didn't run the water cooled turbo and I've seen more than most.
                    It was only fitted to two engine codes. You haven't got the turbo in the loft too? Wouldn't mind the housing to experiment with!

If only you knew someone who had just broken a T4 with an aux pump and some GTD parts stashed in the loft......
                    And that person was a kind generous sharing sort who enjoyed gifting?
                    I've been considering moving the expansion tank for other reasons - I'm going to carefully remove the mounting bracket on my breaker just in case.
                    What's your reasons??? New Manifold & DP...

Comment

Yes. Just looked on the KN site they do other kits 85-6002 / 85-6003 for different sized MAF. Expensive though.

It was only fitted to two engine codes. You haven't got the turbo in the loft too? Wouldn't mind the housing to experiment with!
                      Two engine codes RA and SB - and the only ones you'll ever see - across all the platforms they were fitted in. Pretty much all KKK turbos, few garretts but not seen many

Nope, turbo gone, can't remember what bits I packaged up with it though

And that person was a kind generous sharing sort who enjoyed gifting?
                      Doubt it, I heard he was a proper cu

What's your reasons??? New Manifold & DP...
                      Yep, that.

Comment

Two engine codes RA and SB - and the only ones you'll ever see - across all the platforms they were fitted in. Pretty much all KKK turbos, few garretts but not seen many.

Nope, turbo gone, can't remember what bits I packaged up with it though.
                        Noticed on the KKK spec sheet I found on the turbo that they ran to 4800rpm - unusual on a diesel turbo. The water cooling perhaps offering the extra 400-800rpm?

Doubt it, I heard he was a proper cu
                        Not the guy I was thinking of then. I'll just have to wait for a pm and a price?

Yep, that.
                        Found a supplier for the 5 pot blanks. Single unit £50+VAT though.....

Last edited by Activ8; 23 July 2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Noticed on the KKK spec sheet I found on the turbo that they ran to 4800rpm - unusual on a diesel turbo. The water cooling perhaps offering the extra 400-800rpm?

Not the guy I was thinking of then. I'll just have to wait for a pm and a price?

Found a supplier for the 5 pot blanks. Single unit £50+VAT though.....
                          Water cooling does nothing for the turbo apart from stopping the oil baking in the housing once the engine is turned off and the oil sits static in the housing - AFAIK

I'll see what I can find in the loft - it did all get shoved to the back to make room for a load of T4 crap though.

Surprised if the 5 pot blanks I've drawn up cost me much more than a tenner - just waiting for some flange drawings from a bloke who has all the turbos.

Comment

Water cooling does nothing for the turbo apart from stopping the oil baking in the housing once the engine is turned off and the oil sits static in the housing - AFAIK
                            Agreed but 48k is unusual. Was looking for low rev petrol turbos and ended up at the K24's.
                            I'll see what I can find in the loft - it did all get shoved to the back to make room for a load of T4 crap though.
                            In the book "The Art of War" I'm sure theres references to using the loft space for vehicle spares & storage? She must be very understanding!
                            Surprised if the 5 pot blanks I've drawn up cost me much more than a tenner - just waiting for some flange drawings from a bloke who has all the turbos.
                            My err. For the manifold or adaptors for one? I must have 50-60 turbos all but a few with different flanges. What flange will be needed for the merge pipework - T3? Then adapt down to T25? I'll email you a sheet better still a *.pdf.

Comment

In the book "The Art of War" I'm sure theres references to using the loft space for vehicle spares & storage? She must be very understanding!
                              Garage loft space

Have a block of six garages, two per household, all with ceilings and unused space above with no dividing walls

I took down a section of ceiling and utilised mine and all the neighbours - boarding them out as I expanded my unofficial flying freehold.

All was fine until the neighbour saw that I was using my loft space and commented - "that's a good idea, I'm going to use my loft space".

I had to confess and rationalise my storage, we now have three roof spaces each, the other neighbour has not cottoned on....yet.

Comment

Garage loft space

Have a block of six garages, two per household, all with ceilings and unused space above with no dividing walls

I took down a section of ceiling and utilised mine and all the neighbours - boarding them out as I expanded my unofficial flying freehold.

All was fine until the neighbour saw that I was using my loft space and commented - "that's a good idea, I'm going to use my loft space".

I had to confess and rationalise my storage, we now have three roof spaces each, the other neighbour has not cottoned on....yet.
                                [emoji44] [emoji848] [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X