Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground off the unused mounting cast on the GT28s turbine housing to unrestrict the actuator rod pathway and to give me max space around the bearing housing.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Loosely rebuilt the turbo back up and looked at the oil feed and return. The feed from the AJT/ACV can be used although not checked in the engine bay for positioning but both pipe size and shaping works.

Comment

• Looking forward to seeing the results Rob

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Oil return will work aswell albeit with some minor slotting to the bolt fitting holes. The AJT/ACV return pipe is 10mm diameter. The K14 bearing housing return is 12mm identical to the GT28's. My purchase from Maxpeeding did not come with the fittings.

Comment

• On to the water feed and return, had some anodised couplings in the garage and could put something together with some suitable hose. Next is where to take the water feed from and return it to.... got a couple of ideas but suggestions welcomed!

Last edited by Activ8; 13 July 2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• First impressions of the turbo are pretty good, the movement is precise and freely spins beautifully, however my concerns lie with the wastegate seal. The disk sealing the wastegate port is very thin and by far the "leanest" I've ever seen on any turbo. It seals fine but has in my opinion too much movement or slack on the arm. Some of which would be lost through heat and expansion. Let's see...

Comment

• Could you tee into the oil cooler pipes on the filter? For the coolant.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                  Could you tee into the oil cooler pipes on the filter? For the coolant.

Yep that's what I'm thinking but not teeing into it but rather divert through the turbo. There's a short 15cm pipe that runs under the exhaust manifold that goes into / comes out of the block to the cooler that looks favorite.

Comment

• Might do a leak test and run the turbo off of the compressor just to make sure it's not a Chinesium 4 port mixer valve.

Comment

• Loving this.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Loving this.
                        Did you notice I put the lump hammer in the pics for you Si...

Comment

• Took mine over to show the old chap today. Was talking about how they were balanced in the first place. He agreed with me that with such small parts and it all being close to the centre line that balance shouldn't be to much of an issue. Bent or bust vains would be a different matter. I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof now till my bearing and seal kit get here.
                          Last edited by S49; 14 July 2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Great write up activ.

I'm watching with interest as you and Si build/rebuild on your respective threads.

Defo something I need to do in the future, so many thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Have you thought about removing the water to oil cooler and fitting a remote air to oil cooler and using the water pipes from the water cooler for the turbo??

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                                Took mine over to show the old chap today. Was talking about how they were balanced in the first place. He agreed with me that with such small parts and it all being close to the centre line that balance shouldn't be to much of an issue. Bent or bust vains would be a different matter. I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof now it my bearing and seal kit get here.
                                nope I don't believe a word of that.

Bent or bust vanes make little difference providing there's no interference.

And regarding dynamic balance - Little tiny pieces no matter how small still spin at up to 200,000 rpm in tight tolerance housings - are you familiar with the expression 'grenade'?

Originally posted by lister View Post
                                Have you thought about removing the water to oil cooler and fitting a remote air to oil cooler and using the water pipes from the water cooler for the turbo??
                                Have you thought about ignoring water cooling and just coast at the end of a journey or let it idle for a bit before shutting down?

Because it sounds like your designs for plumbing it completely miss the point of water cooling application - you need an aux pump that continues to pump coolant after turning off. I did have a full plumbing kit from a GTD stuck in the loft - I'll take a look.
                                Last edited by regcheeseman; 13 July 2018, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X