No announcement yet.

Adventure Van Build Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's my thinking... I'm sure a golf one would fit (MK2/MK3?). I've just trimmed o we the holes for now while I work out the next step... TBH I don't use them, but passengers do use the grab handle on the A pillar.
    I've seen sunglasses holders to replace the top handles, was optional on some sharans and passats iirc - but they don't fit bigger style glasses.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

• Not updated my build in a while... So here's some updates.

New door seal has arrived, looks a pretty good match to the oe. Yet to fit it, need a nice day to treat and paint the metal work before fitting it, especially the lower part where the original seal is a bit chewed up.

Rear bumper is off, and being treated to a liberal coating of Cherry Blossom polish. Bumper iron and tow bar brackets awaiting paint to keep them going and looking respectable for another few years.

Springs are being treated to a coating of some random metal paint I had laying around...

Think I may have found the mysterious knocking - nsr shock is dead, so much so it's destroyed the top bush.

Underneath, stripped, pressure washed - ready for rust treatment, and painting with underseal and schultzing in the cavities/hard to reach corners.

On the inside I've built a new cupboard to allow easy access to the kettle, mugs and stuff - essential items!

And the handicrafts dept has come up trumps with some place mats and matching coasters.

Last edited by Adventure Van; 10 January 2021, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Nice one do love an update on a "long lost thread"

Comment

• Door seals now fitted... Was a nice snug fit onto the metal lip, can't see any daylight with the doors closed. Jobsa goodun in my opinion!

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Just T4s

Comment

• That looks really good . Where did u get the rubber from ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Just T4s

Comment

• From eBay, the seller has rear door and sliding door ones available - it was about £40 iirc.

Comment

• Hi AV. Was it from a place in Ipswich called seal extruisions

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                  Hi AV. Was it from a place in Ipswich called seal extruisions
                  No, he's called vanseals... Fir some reason I can't do links from eBay anymore...

Comment

• Okay, so after a few hours work this morning still hunting for a horrible knock that's getting worse I've ended up with this.

So I've pulled the hubs and lower arms from both sides - rear bushes both seem knackered. I've got replacement bushes, myle ones, but I need a press - or do I polybush them, and do anti-roll bar links and D-bushes at the same time? Ball joints are great on the NS, a bit loose on the OS, but no play.
                    Last edited by Adventure Van; 21 March 2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• I've got it down to a fine art know with the knock a ball joint makes. Got a set for the blue bus as they are just starting tell me its time to change em. I'd go for the standard type wishbone bushs if it was me

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        I've got it down to a fine art know with the knock a ball joint makes. Got a set for the blue bus as they are just starting tell me its time to change em. I'd go for the standard type wishbone bushs if it was me
                        Do you reckon I could drift them in with a large socket?

Comment

• Not sure you wouldnt damage them, a press or pushed in via a big vice would be kinder i reckon.

Comment

• Try it like that. Easy enough. Simple and cheap.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                              Do you reckon I could drift them in with a large socket?

I read this as: “Smash it like fuck with a hammer”. This is precisely what I’d do but in future I’m going to describe it as drifting them in.

Hans method works a treat though. Same with Si’s vice one. Both just need holding nice and square when pressing but easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                              #vanlife

Comment

• Me likey Hans!

Got a bottle jack and some blocks of wood, looked at my vice this morning - not sure it's big enough (stop it!). Got to drill out and cut the old ones first - that'll have to wait till the weekend, my only spare time is either early morning or late evenings (not suitable for power tools!).

Smash it like fuck would be my last resort, but i would get to that stage quite quickly!

Last edited by Adventure Van; 22 March 2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X