No announcement yet.

I just bought myself a nice T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagles. To get it right. Best to use the right piece to start with. I know it can be done. Even better if he could find a panel with the window already in

Comment

I’d use a plain panel.You’d have hot metal spattered all over the window,no matter how you tried to protect it.Also,I’d separate the outer skin from the inner first.Joggle the edge of the van body,then weld the outer skin in.You can treat both sides of the repair,then attempt an inner structure rebuild.Thats why I suggested a sliding door.The outer pattern is no different from the drivers side.Easily sourced and cheap.

Comment

Huskyman I have gone to my local scrap yard which have 2 T4's one had its side window in on the drivers side the scrap yard owner is letting me have it with some of the metal panel so it could be welded into my van for £30 which I collect on Wednesday.I may have to have the window removed when having it welded in place then put the window back in.Is it easy to remove the window & put it back in as I don't want the glass to crack due to the heat.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Just T4s

Comment

The glass isn't the easiest to get out whole. I've broken 3 t4 screens and 2 barn door glasses getting them out.. If I was swapping the window in your van i'd replace with a solid panel myself. if you can get a big enough part of the scrap van and your brave enough to remove a large part of your van side you could replace your window with another with the glass left in the panel you are fitting

Comment

S49 I have been quoted £500 to have it done by a mate who is a welder but he can't do it for another 2 or 3 months as he is moving his workshop

Comment

S49, my mate said he could weld it with the glass in if there was a lot of metal around the glass but said it would be better to remove the glass as the heat could still damage the seal around the glass

Comment

Hi. Metal man when welding you could put wet rags around the window. Then cover the whole thing in moist cardboard both sides of the glass. Make sure you get a big enough cut from the breaker. Looks like you have some filler around the top. You should be able to get a good result. If your mate is good at what he does. Don't forget the pics b4 and after. If it is a vw slideing window it should be bolted in

Good luck

Comment

£500, you could buy a decent welder with that and teach yourself. It'll come in handy for the future. Reg removed his tailgate window with a slimline Stanley knife. I don't think you need to reuse the seal if you do remove it. You can fix it in with tiger seal or equivalent for a more modern look instead. Check bigmc's build thread. He just fitted a window in.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

If the welding will effect the seal i'd guess the panel cut isn't big enough and if it effects the seal i'd be worried about distortion of the panel as on big panels welded in its a bugger to hide ripples with filler without having glass to contend with.You'd have to "spot" it in gently to avoid distortion/glass damage.

Comment

Hi. Si. Looking forward to see how this turns out. Any progress with yours

Comment

Following with interest to Paul, no mate zero progress.

Comment

Huskyman, my mate can't do it for another 2 to 3 months as he is moving his work shop so says he needs time to set his new work shop up.

Comment

Hi. Metal man. I know people that can do it. Down in Essex only 2 and half hours. From you

Comment

Huskyman, how much would they charge for doing that?

Comment

Hi. Metal man. I would not expect anyone to have a guess without seeing it

Comment

Working...
                                X