My T4 isn't Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My T4 isn't Happy

Van has been parked up for a couple of weeks as been busy with work etc (my t4 isn't my daily drive). Thought I had better take it for a spin around the block, started fine but ran for about 10seconds and then stopped. Tried restarting it and was very sluggish then fired up but seem like it was only firing on 2 cylinders (very rough) gave it a few blips on the throttle and and a lot of smoke mainly white but also and big chug of black smoke. Eventually it started to run smooth and felt like it was running on all 4 cylinders again, with no smoke. Turn ignition off and restarted (whilst still warm) and ran lovley. Glow plugs only replaced a few months ago, starter motor also fairly new and plenty of life in it.
    Engine is 1.9abl any pointers of simple things to check ? haven't done a compression test as its PITA to get glow plugs out so was going to check other things before i go down that route was just wandering of pointers on where to start ?

If it was blue smoke you'd think valve stem oil seals. Whats it like when allowed to cool,could have a dribbling injector.

Comment

always a bit sluggish on the first start up of the day or after its been left to cool for several hours, mainly white smoke was going to adjust the fuel pump timing (reg has sent me details on this) but haven't got around to doing it yet. Just slightly concerned as it getting worse .

Comment

Mine ran poorly for first 5 minutes chucked out loads of white smoke when we first got it, after tweeking the pump its like a different vehicle.

Comment

Mine only does this if I don't pull out the cold start first time, after that it's perfect until cold again, I thought glow plugs at first until I was told try pulling the cold start out, it could be pump timing bit mines perfect after the first start, with the cold start pulled it starts perfect no smoke not lumpy at all.

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

It is slightly better with the cold start lever pulled out but on this occasion (van being stood for a long time) the cold start lever made no difference.

Comment

I think I would be looking at glow plugs next mate, hopefully someone will be able to give a more definitive answer.

Comment

If the glow plugs are new it may be worth changing diesel filter. Also maybe worth looking at the egr too if you still have it fitted. (They get clogged and full if nastys)

Comment

Take the wires off the glow plugs, run a wire from battery positive and flash it against the tread on the glow plug, if you get sparks that glow plug is ok. A quick and easy glow plug test method.

Comment

Yea got blanking plates for egr so will get them fitted and a diesel filter on order (done oil and air filter not long ago )

Sent from my SM-G920F using Just T4s

Comment

Pump timing mate, get it spot on and your gremlins will go away... Dont bother with anything else.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Just T4s
                      '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
                        Pump timing mate, get it spot on and your gremlins will go away... Dont bother with anything else.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Just T4s
                        It all seems to revolve around that doesn't it

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
                          Mine only does this if I don't pull out the cold start first time, after that it's perfect until cold again, I thought glow plugs at first until I was told try pulling the cold start out, it could be pump timing bit mines perfect after the first start, with the cold start pulled it starts perfect no smoke not lumpy at all.

It's not perfect - if you need cold start lever ever in the UK above 0 ambient then you have a problem

Advance the pump - you'll get more power and better throttle response as a bonus

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          It all seems to revolve around that doesn't it
                          Normally, not always - I'd be checking the leakdown pipes as well - simple cheap fix.

Check the fuel line when trying to start - look for air bubbles.

Comment

I was always lead to believe you didn't need to use the cold start/choke in the uk. Dad had an L regger when I borrowed it he'd say don't touch that choke!

Comment

Cheers reg I'll get it looked at 👍

Comment

Working...
                              X