Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Top

Hey all

I’m about to splash out on a GRP high top for my SWB, blinking expensive mind... I don’t suppose any one out there knows a cheap supplier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sorry but let me know how you get on as I think I want one

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
      No sorry but let me know how you get on as I think I want one

I will try and post pics... I can’t quite get over how bloody much it’s going to cost but I want the height and storage...

Comment

Yeah I’ve seen many offering them fitted for 5k plus. Seen a couple of DIY ones online for about a grand but I’m not sure they’ll be any good. A crap top can ruin the look of a van

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
          Yeah I’ve seen many offering them fitted for 5k plus. Seen a couple of DIY ones online for about a grand but I’m not sure they’ll be any good. A crap top can ruin the look of a van

Ah right, so I’m talking about a hard high top as opposed to a pop top...

Comment

Aaaahhhhh *sits back down quietly*

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by chrisT4 View Post
              Ah right, so I’m talking about a hard high top as opposed to a pop top...

Have a look at the "One day i'll have a camper" in the build thread section. He fitted one himself.

Comment

There not difficult to fit. You just need big cahoonas when cutting that massive hole in the roof 🤣[emoji23]
                On a serious not just fire away with any questions. I found a really good tutorial online that gave me the guidelines. Mine was slightly different due to it still having the internal wooden frame fitted and still upholstered. But as S49 says take a look at my build thread and ask away.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by sbrme View Post
                  There not difficult to fit. You just need big cahoonas when cutting that massive hole in the roof [emoji1787][emoji23]
                  On a serious not just fire away with any questions. I found a really good tutorial online that gave me the guidelines. Mine was slightly different due to it still having the internal wooden frame fitted and still upholstered. But as S49 says take a look at my build thread and ask away.

Cheers mate,
                  Well I’m clearly a little aware that you can’t ‘uncut a hole[emoji15]’ but I’m fairly confident. Me and a mate are going to fit it. I’m going to offer up the new roof and mark it out then cut from inside initially. Did you use bonding sealant only or bolt down as well? I only intend to cut out the centre piece leaving a large storage area at the rear (to allow luggage and stuff to be stowed) and a small space at the front with a cupboard for plates, cups etc.. the middle bit is really for extra headroom. Did you use a knock on edging to finish the hole?

Thanks again
                  Chris

Comment

I can get measurements if needed but I still have over cab storage at front as cut to the rear of that cross member and also a storage area at rear to match the old internal frame. My roof was just bonded and then where my wood frame sits I just put some extra screws in. In all honesty once you soak fleax goes off and use plenty that roof is going nowhere. I did panic still on my first drive though Haha
                    Internally I just used a disc on the angle grinder and tidied the edges up. Then made sure my wood frame sat level for when I just carpet trimmed it all.
                    Hard to explain.
                    You basically cut just inside of the gutter dips on roof I left about 10mm outside of it as you can always take more off but cant put back.
                    If want some close up pics let me know I'll try sort some out.

Comment

Ok sounds like you did what I’m looking to do. I’m going to cut inside the pillars to form a hole about the size of the sliding door so I leave the structural braces in place. Although I don’t think this top comes with a wooden frame, it seems to be just as it is.

Comment

I've seen high top on eBay for around 550 comes in white. But they do paint them too for extra cost.

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Just T4s

Comment

Hey all

I’m about to splash out on a GRP high top for my SWB, blinking expensive mind... I don’t suppose any one out there knows a cheap supplier?

IMG-20190225-WA0000.jpeg come rain or shine I'm out in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by damien devil View Post
                            [ATTACH]11477[/ATTACH] come rain or shine I'm out in mine.

Yeah, it SAYS £600 but with the right colour, delivery and VAT it comes in at a heady £1080... [emoji15]

Comment

Yeah, it SAYS £600 but with the right colour, delivery and VAT it comes in at a heady £1080... [emoji15]

Ye nothing cheap for the van, maybe get a quote for having the roof wrapped instead of painted might be a bit cheaper.

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Comment

Working...
                              X