Service intervals etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service intervals etc.

I'm not the worlds greatest at this. (the theory rather than the practical that is)
    The wife's cars are usually new to near new and get serviced by the book irrespective of need. Probably the ideal.
    Mine get done when something breaks or I get fed up with the nagging . I think my record was just over 100,000 miles in a VW Chevette van without doing more than washer water and dumping what ever engine oil was handy into the top of the engine occasionally. Filters? Pah. Change nope, that costs.
    Ok, I'll get to the point. Our 1.9TD T4 is going on along trip so the domestic manger wants it "right". Records show that in 2014 it had a "full service" . It then went to the next owner who was the sort who frightens me. Race Jaguars cluttering the garage. Morgans being rebuild from the bearings up. Signs around the T4 indicate lots of love. Oil is as new etc. I can't ask him as he has moved to Spain.
    Fuel and air filters were done when it wouldn't run for me. Exhaust sorted that.
    I am thinking, being tight on an oil and filter change and a general check over. Brake fluid as well.
    Its done a gnats under 3000 miles since that "full" service in 2014.
    I have been through all the blurb (and done as needed) in the front of the owner book

Yes I know it should be gone through with a fine tooth comb but realistically would you lot do?
    . Cost have some part to play in this.

If nothing else I would at least have the cam belt and water pump done, they recommend 3-4 years or 80k miles I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Ah, another Forester posting.
      Not thought of that as it had a short engine change 30K ago. I'll investigate. Ta

Comment

So the oil has been in there since 2014 and has done 3,000 miles - I'd change that now, as you've already stated.

I'm not one for changing fluid every year regardless of use - pah!
        I do really low miles but after 2 years I'd be thinking of changing it anyway, but oil change is a real trigger for some one owners, quotes like "cheap insurance" will be said. lol
        I mean oil is cheap right, just change it every time you fill up, why risk it.

TBH I wouldn't worry too much, if your van fails on you it's likely not going to be because of a consumable that wasn't changed at the books interval.

Change your oil & maybe filter.
        Check you brake pad thickness, make sure there are no fluid leaks (or no new leaks) under that van, if you have any coolant loss at all now would be a good time to find it and fix it.
        Check your tyres all around them for any nails that you haven't noticed yet, put some air in the spare.
        Carry some spare bulbs and get breakdown cover.
        Go enjoy your drive.
        1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Sorry wasn't clear. I suspect that all the serving by the book has been done to excess but it isn't recorded since 14 when the Jaguar/Morgan man bought it.

Comment

ah, so oil will be good to go then.
            1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Personally I'd service the complete van, belts, filters oils & fluids - you've had 4 years off so time for a little TLC. It would support the service record and keep your domestic goddess sweet! As a failure may ruin your day!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by mattsccm View Post
                Ah, another Forester posting.
                Not thought of that as it had a short engine change 30K ago. I'll investigate. Ta
                [emoji15] where you from then mate.

Comment

I change oil and filter on our 1.9td every june and January regardless of mileage. And do the cam belt ever 4 years .

Comment

I must admit I change all filters and oil every year regardless of mileage as Euro Car Parts have always got a sale on, £60 and a few hours work is worth it I think

Comment

Working...
                    X