Dorset Dubfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorset Dubfest

Finally booked our first event! We are going to the Dorset Dubfest in Swanage.

I figured that, even if the event turned out to be a dead loss, at least its in a nice location!

Anyone else going to this one?

When is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Ooh, sorry 21-23 July. I think that's the weekend before Dubtoberfest.

Comment

great location, l can never speak highly enough of corfe castle which is very close , and if you fancy a bevvy you have the steam train. I might just check those dates myself now at the thought of it

Comment

If I've still got the van I might pop down for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Great stuff. Maybe see either or both of you there.

Comment

Just seen the weather forecast for Dorset for this weekend

Cool, wet & windy. Think it might be a test for both our awning and my own enjoyment of this camping lark.

At least it will give me an opportunity to wear my new Just T4s hoodie.

Now, where did I put my wellies?

Comment

so its this weekend then? shit!

Comment

Originally posted by hairyjerry View Post
                  so its this weekend then? shit!
                  Yep, heading off straight after work today.

Comment

Well, that was an interesting trip.

Got there late Thursday evening only to find no-one on reception so had no idea where to set up. Eventually, after much searching, someone turned up and we directed into a field where we managed to get the awning up. Whilst I was wandering around I was pretty sure I could smell diesel but it was too dark to investigate. That would have to wait until.....

Friday. Awoke Friday to find that the rather gusty winds had moved our magnetic awning rail and so we put Plan B into action. Homer already had an aluminium rail fitted to his roof so we decided to use that. Drove the van forward a few yards and wifey fed the awning through the rail as I slowly reversed him back into place. Hmmm, there's that diesel smell again. Ah, and there's a nice stripe of fresh diesel where I had just been. Best look at that. It appears that Homer doesn't trust our sat nav and decided to leave a trail of diesel from No 1 injector between home and Dorset so he can find his way home. He left a matching stripe on the way home too!. Booked in for repair Thursday. The afternoon arrived with the rain. Bugger me, did it rain! Hours and hours of steel rod stuff. Managed to find the entertainment marquee and drank some beer.

Saturday. Because of the weather and the fact that some people are more sensible than me a lot of ticket holders didn't turn up. This meant that a lot of the planned events (i.e. most of them) didn't go ahead. Back to the tent for more beer.

Sunday. Dawn broke on Sunday to a lovely, still, sunny morning. After a shower and a cuppa it was time to start dismantling the camp. I hate packing stuff away and we seem to have a lot of stuff that needs packing so it took AGES! Finally we were only left with the awning. What could possibly go wrong? I'll tell you what could go wrong....this. So, my daughter goes ahead and starts pulling the pegs out of the ground. At the point, right between the last peg being removed and us getting in to position to dismantle a strong gust of wind got up from absolutely nowhere. The good news is that the awning did a great job of removing itself from the rail - saving me a job. The bad news is that on its way out of the rail it caught my aerial and snapped the bastard in two. Another job to the list. Are aerials with the VW connection easy to get hold of?

Ended with a walk around a rather depleted show n shine. Fell in love with someone's van interior (only the interior though as it was a T5). It was exactly what I wished we had.

I learned some things from this trip. Always be careful when handling an awning. T4s aren't as reliable as you would wish for.

But the biggest lesson I learned is that camping is much more fun in the sun than in the pissing rain!
                    Last edited by Burgmeister; 24 July 2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I hate packing the awning away wet, no where to put it back up at home to dry it, we had similar fun in Cornwall, pissing with rain and 40mph gusts, we were thinking this camping in the rain lark ain't all it's cracked up to be !!!

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
                        I hate packing the awning away wet, no where to put it back up at home to dry it, we had similar fun in Cornwall, pissing with rain and 40mph gusts, we were thinking this camping in the rain lark ain't all it's cracked up to be !!!

What made it worse was that my mate had driven down from Bideford and parked up alongside. He has a LWB T4 with a full camper conversion. Sunday morning we all sat down for a cuppa then started to pack up and go. He put his pop-top back down and drove off his "levellers". Shut his door and was gone. 2 hours later we had just about decamped!

Jealous much?

Comment

Yea I'd be feeling the same, that would just increase the level of swearing tenfold lol.

Comment

I was actually very pleased with myself that, despite being absolutely gutted inside, I didn't swear once when my aerial snapped in half. I think my wife was preparing to make a dash to cover my daughter's ears in anticipation but I just moped a bit.

Comment

Well done for the restraint, I only hope in such an event I can manage the same, I won't be placing any bets tho 😂

Comment

Working...
                              X