Newbie with a non stater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a non stater

Hi everyone my name is Dave and I am new to this forum.

Iv'e got a 1993 2.4ltr 5 cylinder T4 Autosleeper campervan that is refusing to start. I posted the problem on the Autosleeper forum site and someone put me onto this site.

It will start with the aid of easystart but this can cause problems if it is overused. The general consensus of opinion puts the blame on the glowplugs and I tend to

agree. The question I have really is does anyone know of a garage in the Nottingham area that is good with these old vans and where is the best place to get spare

parts because when the fan belt broke the RAC man had a bit of a job getting one and said parts are no longer made for these.

Hi mate i had same problem and it turned out to be glow.plugs . Any decent garage will be able to do them or if you fancy a challenge do them yourself tho the one behind the pump is a bit of a bugger to get to.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Just T4s

Comment

If the glow plug light does as it should the next thing is test the glowplugs.. There should be plenty of workshops/garages capable of doing that. Or you could have a go yourselve.

Comment

A diesel will start without glow plugs... It'll take some time and then smoke a little till warmed up. Fuel, air, compression - that's all you need.

Glow plugs make it easier when the engine is cold - that's all, or the glow plug circuit will constantly be live, not just under cranking.

Will it start eventually? Or nothing at all?

Sounds more like fuel starvation, maybe air being drawn back in from a split over-spill pipe, or leaking fuel pump?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
        '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. There's plenty of parts still around and you'll just need to search a bit more than with a newer van. This forum is full of helpful members and I hope you can sort the problems. Keep us updated mate

Comment

Reads like fuel starvation to me. When it starts is it smoking badly?
            Check the basics, air , new fuel , stick some fuel additive in with a cleaner and cetane booster. Check all the pipework for air or fuel leaks.
            Is the exhaust blocked?
            Parts are available for these everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome any diagnosis is easer with pics for us to perv over!! [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Afternoon and welcome, good luck sorting your issues as l can’t help you

Comment

Sounds like glow plugs if it starts and runs once fired on easy start.

Contrary to what is posted above - a 2.4 and a 1.9 will fail to start with one or more duff glow plugs.

The first thing I would check is the glow plug fuse mounted on the bulkhead - probably a small black box with two thick red/white wires attached - the lid opens to reveal a fuse strip.

You don't need a garage for this - and your RAC man talks a lot of rubbish.
                  Last edited by regcheeseman; 18 April 2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Over the years I've come to realise that AA and RAC talk nothing but rubbish. They just need get it home and keep their misinformation to their selves.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies youv'e put my mind at rest on the availability of spares.
                      Once I start the van with easystart and warm it up a bit it restarts first time and runs just like it always has so it really does look like the glow plugs. I will check the fuse before getting it looked at but that will be next week because the van is away from home and Iv'e got work and other boring things getting in the way. Will let you know the outcome. Dave

Comment

Welcome to the site buddy, they are a great bunch on here if you ever need anything as you are finding out.

Comment

welcome, hope you get it sorted, Autosleeper here too, although gradually loosing all the associated graphics
                          Life's Better at the Beach

Comment

I had same problem on mine, glows plugs packing in over a few months and kept blowing flag blade fuse new battery.
                            Eventually failed to start and turned out all glowplugs were dead, mechanic tested all in front of me after saying no way all are dead, there were. Been perfect since

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Comment

Hello Dave H,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm from Nottingham too, and if I can't sort my van myself, I go to a little place called Three Tuns garage in Eastwood. The chap that owns it is old school, and there really isn't much he doesn't know about VW's. The owner is called Pete, he's starting to get a bit grumpy as he gets older, but a very good, and still sought after mechanic. He's always busy...and I mean busy. You might have to wait but he'll sort it, and he's dead straight. If it needs glow plugs then he'll tell you. If it needs something else, then he'll tell you. He's not expensive, but then he's not cheap. He's a kind of take it or leave it man, but you can rest assured your dealing with someone who's honest and knows their stuff.

Good luck

Frenchy.

Comment

Working...
                              X