Spreader plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreader plates

Can anyone give me some advice on making some spreader plates for a bench seat I'm planning to fit? Or if I can buy something?

The seat is from a Bongo (I think), it has ten holes available on the runners.

Much appreciated
    Cheers

Sent from my D6503 using Just T4s

Spreader plates

Think you can buy the ones that fit in the chassis crossmembers (think that's what they're called)

Like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5332.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	259315

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Snowrider View Post
      Think you can buy the ones that fit in the chassis crossmembers (think that's what they're called)

Like this...

[ATTACH]4266[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      Thanks mate

Comment

You could use 5x40mm flat galvanised steel bar, either full width of the Base assuming there are no obstructions or in 150mm minimum lengths for each fixing. Not expensive from s steel supplier or if you know a local fabricator who has some knocking about their workshop.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Comment

i think i read in the unwin rail fitting guide that you should use minimum 75*50*3mm spreader plates when bolted through the floor. apply a grinder and a drill to some 50*3mm strip and you've got spreader plates.

I bought some 50*50*3mm box section, cut it in half and used it like some extra chassis crossmembers to bolt through my rails. half the bolts are through the factory crossmembers though, so iv'e just used the 70*50*3mm plate for those.

i buy all my metal on ebay, as i only use small quantities at a time. my mates who say they can get me scrap steel are ridiculously unreliable (i.e. they've never managed to deliver anything they've said they can get me).
          my van - http://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php...02-800-special

Comment

Thanks guys. Took your advice and got 3 lengths of steel 1500 x 50 x 6mm. Cutting to 1200 each and welding them to bottom of rails so they span across the van like a frame. This means I can now bolt through the floor in multiple places and use the rest of the metal for spreader plates under the floor. When I'm done I'll get some photos up.

Comment

Frame built and bolted in place. It's slow progress from me but at least it's progress 😁. Now can't wait to crack on and put new floor in. Build kitchen unit. Build storage /seat unit, buy cooker, sink, awning, finish stripping paint sort rust out, repaint. Oh yeh then must remember to go camping 👍

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	259512Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	259513Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	259514Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0306.JPG
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	259515

Comment

Slow progress is better than no progress bud 👍

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thebigredone View Post
                  Slow progress is better than no progress bud 👍

Yeh would help if I knew what I was doing lol

Comment

I had some idea on how to tackle the conversion but never done it before, me and the wife just went for it and we're happy with it now, but it's taken since Aug last year lol

Comment

TBH I know how I want to lay out the inside and what I want to buy for the outside (alloys, side bars, roof bars, spoiler..) it's mainly having the time and get funds to crack on with it.

Comment

Tell me about it mate, funds and time are my biggest joy killer lol

Comment

Good work, have you managed to get the underfloor spreaders to tie in to any structural points? Chassis rails or cross members I mean.
                          I.e. Try not to rely entirely on a thin corrugated floor to hold a heavy seat in place. Bongo rails are great for load spreading to be fair, I've got a set in mine but mostly in chassis rails and crossmember

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s

Comment

Nice tidy job, looking good!
                            Its great to do as much as you can yourself, saving money and improving skills

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Marshall View Post
                              Good work, have you managed to get the underfloor spreaders to tie in to any structural points? Chassis rails or cross members I mean.
                              I.e. Try not to rely entirely on a thin corrugated floor to hold a heavy seat in place. Bongo rails are great for load spreading to be fair, I've got a set in mine but mostly in chassis rails and crossmember

Sent from my iPad using Just T4s
                              I used the same steel strips for underneath as I couldn't use chassis rail or cross member.

Name:	DSC_0011.JPG
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	261570Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	261571Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG
Size:	37.5 KB