Possible injector fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible injector fault

Hi there my 1998 t4 1.9td is burning fuel very rich and smokes alot especially on start up, engine is running shit. I'm gonna take injectors out and send them away to be tested, I was wondering roughly what prices I will be looking at for new ones?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Just T4s

Originally posted by Joel View Post
    Hi there my 1998 t4 1.9td is burning fuel very rich and smokes alot especially on start up, engine is running shit. I'm gonna take injectors out and send them away to be tested, I was wondering roughly what prices I will be looking at for new ones?

Got a set here that should suit, you can have them for £30

I'll bet It's not injectors at fault though - what colour is the smoke?

Far more likely to be glow plugs or timing - who said it was injectors?

If you really want to go down that route, getting yours rebuilt would be far more sensible than buying new

Comment

Have you tried injector cleaner

sent from over there

Comment

Tbh I haven't tried injector cleaner and I took the van to a garage as the smoke is blue and is burning very rich with a sloppy tickover. They said it would either pump or injectors so if taken the injectors out and sent them away for testing and I have bought some new glow plugs ready to fit

Comment

The 1.9abl suffers from crank nose wear,causing the timing to slip. This results in poor tick over,smoky,and the engine is generally 'louder', 'rattly'. I would have that checked before i spent money on refurbing injectors

Comment

Originally posted by T4Virgin View Post
            The 1.9abl suffers from crank nose wear,causing the timing to slip. This results in poor tick over,smoky,and the engine is generally 'louder', 'rattly'. I would have that checked before i spent money on refurbing injectors
            Yep! Mine wouldn't tick over smooth without the cold start lever pulled out...(mine was white smoke, and starting to smell dieselly!)... Wasn't sure if it was just pump timing, or wear on the crank keyway.
            No matter now as it's being replaced with a TDI! 👍

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Just T4s
            '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Originally posted by T4Virgin View Post
              Yes - check crank pulley and keyway.

(edited as read this wrong first time)

An advanced pump starts easy makes good power but will clatter a bit more than normal.

A retarded pump will struggle on cold starts, chuck out white smoke, accelerate poor and idle rough.

Joel -

How well does the van start hot and cold?

When the engine warms does the smoke clear, does it run better?

If so, are a few blips of the throttle and 30 seconds running enough to stop the smoking?

How far are you from North Devon?

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                Yes - check crank pulley and keyway.

(edited as read this wrong first time)

An advanced pump starts easy makes good power but will clatter a bit more than normal.

A retarded pump will struggle on cold starts, chuck out white smoke, accelerate poor and idle rough.

Joel -

How well does the van start hot and cold?

When the engine warms does the smoke clear, does it run better?

If so, are a few blips of the throttle and 30 seconds running enough to stop the smoking?

How far are you from North Devon?
                If his answers is yes what is he fix am interested as mine on Frist start runs like this I was thinking of advancing the pump timing. Sometimes I feel sorry for my neighbours

Comment

Sorry its a bit late, new here. Mine was just the same poor starting , lots of smoke , reeked of fuel and flat as a turd. The wife said if you cant fix it it'll have to go. Bare in mind we'd just got the thing. A mate a mine said they liked a bit of advance on the pump so advanced the pump on the vernier pulley by about a tooth and a half and its like a different van, no smoke or stink and goes well. Am a bit of 1.9 td fan no chip in the key, no electronics on the pump. Ours has no centeral locking and manual windows I can tinker with it for hours without buggering it up not like the modern stuff I work on in the day.

Comment

Interesting mine starts and idles rough with white smoke pull out the cold start leaver and runs smoother. If I give it a rev for a few seconds the smoke clears. I've changed the glow plugs but still the same.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Just T4s

Comment

My first thought my injectors as it improved when warm. I'd try a bit of pump advance mate. Get the belt cover off mark the pulley with a dot on the centre and one on the vernier part so you know where you started. Slacken the 3 bolt and turn pump centre towards direction of rotation. Retorgue and start up. Just move a nats cock at a time. And if it don't help its cost nowt. I panicked and was going to price injectors till an accidental chat at the mot station.

Comment

Yea i did start going down the route of injectors until I saw the price, i'l have a look at the pump when I get chance. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Just T4s

Comment

No worries, hope it helps.

Comment

As well as doing the pump work, I'm building and testing injectors now, can do TDI and TD units - and for sensible money

Dhawky - sounds very much like a touch of advance will sort your issue, I see this a lot when mechanics time up a new belt on the locking pin and don't pre-load the pump. Not helped by the fact standard settings are fine when everything is new but a worn pump will retard timing further - though this may be offset by tired injectors that will tend to advance the tiring (as long as all four injectors are equally knackered)

Last set of tdi injectors I did, all four were down 30 bar at 200bar and one was down 60 bar at only 170bar, TD injectors seem to hold up a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                              As well as doing the pump work, I'm building and testing injectors now, can do TDI and TD units - and for sensible money

Dhawky - sounds very much like a touch of advance will sort your issue, I see this a lot when mechanics time up a new belt on the locking pin and don't pre-load the pump. Not helped by the fact standard settings are fine when everything is new but a worn pump will retard timing further - though this may be offset by tired injectors that will tend to advance the tiring (as long as all four injectors are equally knackered)

Last set of tdi injectors I did, all four were down 30 bar at 200bar and one was down 60 bar at only 170bar, TD injectors seem to hold up a lot better.
                              Can you do 2.4d injectors reg? Looking for increased fuelling from mine. Not paying PP3 prices that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X