replacing engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing engine

Hi all I am new to this site, I have an Auto sleeper Trident camper 2001 T4 with a 2.4 ltr, Diesel engine that is gutless and only does 28 mpg.
    I have been offered a 2.5 turbo engine fitted for £1500. I have been told it is faster and more economical.
    I am looking for opinions on this, thanks Pete

That would be about right.......don't know what you'd have to modify wiring wise, that would be the only bug bear. Theres sure to be someone on here that's done that conversion. Oh and hello and welcome.

Comment

Sorry missed the fitted price bit, sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by wino_pete View Post
        Hi all I am new to this site, I have an Auto sleeper Trident camper 2001 T4 with a 2.4 ltr, Diesel engine that is gutless and only does 28 mpg.
        I have been offered a 2.5 turbo engine fitted for £1500. I have been told it is faster and more economical.
        Welcome, any pics? Does the conversion include a box swap or is it just the engine?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

just the engine with new water pump and cam belts

Comment

Welcome along, we need some pics though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Which engine code are they fitting?

Comment

Hi and welcome mate, I'm sure Activ8 will know but will the 2.5tdi engine not need all the interior clocks too for the ecu etc ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Personally , I'd up the fuel .and turbo charge the 2.4d and as Thebigredone has eluded to , avoid the "complete rebuild" ... but for £1500 face value it's worth getting a full breakdown of the offer.

Comment

Just did some mental arithmetic and there's at least £1k in parts and say a weeks labour... plus if you keep your replaced items about £1k back'ish in sellable parts!

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                      Just did some mental arithmetic and there's at least £1k in parts and say a weeks labour... plus if you keep your replaced items about £1k back'ish in sellable parts!

Great shout Acive8, Wino-Pete make sure you get the old parts. It could make the conversion, if you go ahead with it very cheap. Sell the parts on Ebay, Gumtree or on the pages on this site dedicated to selling spares.

Comment

Thought some more about this over the last 24 hours. It's sort of the long way round to get a little more bhp and torque. It's a shed load of work and based on the price , it's a potential fall out with the mechanics... and then marrying it to the existing torque converter and auto box. Engine & ECU must come off another Auto otherwise there's an expensive switch over in the ECU. I suspect this will end up costing more in the long run.

Comment

Seems very cheap. Any service history on the new engine? No need to swap clocks, t4 immobiliser is in a separate box behind the dash, not in the clocks (apart from very late vans).

Activ8 - I think you could get away with running a manual ecu in an auto.

Comment

Agreed it reads as a cheap price.

Yep possible I suppose. I've never done a gearbox conversion.
                            What I can see on the T4 ECU's is engine/ECU matching, specific ECU's only with AUTO software which is loaded with 3 "choice" maps for 4x4, Auto & Manual. The gearbox mapping is a number of choice switches rather than Plug & Play plus additional calibration functions. Hands up - never done it but I can see the work tracing through the switches to do it properly.

Extra torque through the Auto gearbox might cause some issues.
                            Again, never had an Auto.

Last edited by Activ8; 15 January 2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wino_pete View Post
                              Seems too cheap to me.... be wary.

28mpg is very poor - is that down to the camper size/weight or the auto box - in which case you need to change the box.

What do other owners get mileage wise?

I'd guess setting the timing properly might make it a bit less gutless and get some better mpg figures - my old 2.4 camper (swb/standard roof) used to return 32-35 and would hold 80 quite happily.

Comment

Working...
                              X